Astrofaes

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
A quite recent discovery of mine:

Utterly amazing heathen metal band from Ukraina. Been around since 1996 but as many Eastern European bands their releases have had somewhat limited circulation, until recently. Has had help from Nokturnal Mortum members on some recordings. If you like Enslaved, Nokturnal Mortum or Negurã Bunget (the stuff I've heard from "Heritage" reminds me a lot of Negurã), do yourself a favour and listen to Astrofaes. Red Stream has their 3 CD releases, but there's a lot of stuff (not) available on tape too. Get an MP3 from here (downloads courtesy of Stellar Winter Recs, who carry tape versions of these albums):

Through Time of Memory from "Heritage"
Thunder I Shall Bring from "Ancestor's Shadows"

Bio + discography:
http://www.tartareandesire.com/bands/astrofaes.html

Sounds good - I'll check them out.

Met up with Russell in London - he mentioned a new find in a Ukranian band. Wonder if it's the same one as this?

Interesting. If you manage to find yourself at the Oakenshield website (http://www.adipocere.fr/all.htm), they seem to have quite a nice sales catalog. Along with Astrofaes, they have some rare items such as Diabolical Masquerade (Phantom Lodge, Ravendusk) and Himinbjorg (Golden Age).

*See Drowning in CDs thread, ugh*

this thread makes me feel old :erk:

anyway, I had no idea they had an album out in 2007. Idea. Form. Essence it's called. What's the word on this? Has it reached anyone's ears yet?

_ttw.jpg

A buddy of mine said it was quite good.

EDIT: He has super compatibility on last.fm with me, so I trust his taste.

Nope, I had no idea they had anything new out. Hell, I thought they called it quits. Not sure why I thought that.

Cool though. Upload it if you find it.

I stole it here

upon first two spins I'm still on the fence. There is great epic stuff spread all over the album's length but also not so great stuff in between. Being somehow the middle ground between Hate Forest and Drudkh does not serve them, I fear. Needs more listens though, some parts really do the trick, as said.

Did they get a new drummer? Some sections are pretty sloppy, not really terrible but glaringly evident.

Edit- Sweet merciful Allah, turn down the snare drum.

I stole it here

upon first two spins I'm still on the fence. There is great epic stuff spread all over the album's length but also not so great stuff in between. Being somehow the middle ground between Hate Forest and Drudkh does not serve them, I fear. Needs more listens though, some parts really do the trick, as said.

I'll check it out but the sample they had on their myspace bored the shit out of me.