Darkthrone

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
I think I might be one of a dozen metal fans that have never heard an entire Darkthrone album. Of course, I know they are suppose to be one of the BM bands, but is their stuff essential after getting bands like Drudkh, Nokturnal Mortum, Negura Bunget, etc?

I guess what I'm asking is, if I get some Darkthrone albums, will I hear anything I haven't heard before?

Based on my tastes, do you lot think I will even like them?

I think you might like them, but you probably wouldn't listen to them constantly. Most of their stuff is pretty basic. It isn't near as complex as Negura Bunget. However, for those times when you want to hear a punk band playing black metal, Darkthrone 'Hate Them' can't be topped. I love 'Transylvanian Hunger', but I don't think that would be the one for you. I'll let others throw out their recommendations.

Personally, I prefer "A Blaze in the Northern Sky," "Under a Funeral Moon," and "Panzerfaust."

I couldn't tell you if you'd like them or not, certainly they aren't the greatest band ever, but it's classic stuff.

I think Darkthrone is more for the history of what black metal is rather than everyday listening. At least that is what they represent for me, I have Transylvanian Hunger and Hate Them. Bare bones no frills black metal.

If you happen to like one , I think it would be Panzerfaust .

J. said:
I think I might be one of a dozen metal fans that have never heard an entire Darkthrone album. Of course, I know they are suppose to be one of the BM bands, but is their stuff essential after getting bands like Drudkh, Nokturnal Mortum, Negura Bunget, etc?
Their stuff is really essential BEFORE you get any of that second tier stuff. Drop whatever irrelevant shit you're doing and order Transilvanian Hunger and A Blaze in the Northern Sky now before I kick your ass, as they say in the US.

EDIT: If you can, avoid the Digipaks (which are the most readily available nowadays). They're remastered and several sources claim that they sound like shit, particularly "A Blaze..." Get the originals, vinyls or slipcase editions.

Quoth me:

"This is not one of the albums you purchase only to see where the roots of your favourite newer BM artists got their inspiration from, but one that while serving that purpose also most probably will crush them in each and every aspect with its sheer brilliance."

http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/erik/darkthrone/dark_rev.htm

Fucking HELL what have you been doing not buying Darkthrone albums? Are you retarded?

Yeah, that one is great too... Someone with Asphyx in the NP box is pretty likely to like Darkthrone in their death metal incarnation.

i've (also) only heard hate them and transylvanian hunger, they're good albums both of em but it's not something i listen to regularly, trans.hung at least requires a special mood for me to really enjoy, it's not something i feel like listening to in the middle of summer :|
on a side note: the lyrics written by varg on TH are some of the best i've heard/read

Yeah, I checked that too, heh. So basically he means "old bats unveiled by the full moon" but he writes "flittermice of eld unveiled at the plenilune". Great. At least "spys" is wrong. :p

I went to a local store yesterday, and saw tons of Darkthrone albums, but noticed all of them except Hate Them was in digipak form, and I remember reading that those suck, so I didn't get any.

I guess I always pictured Darkthrone kinda like I picture Celtic Frost - important and influencial, but hardly the best out there. Of course, I have actually heard all of CF's stuff, Darkthrone was a mere assumption.

I've got a bunch of other stuff I need to get first, but if I see any non-digipak versions out there, I'll get them.

I still haven't heard an entire Mayhem album except Grand Declaration of War, which doesn't count because it was fucking abysmal and didn't have the old line-up.

What are you smoking? There's only one Mayhem album out, "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas". Mayhem split up when Euronymous died, you know.