So what other albums are like those from:

Drudkh
Agalloch
Morgion
Burzum
Empyrium
Nokturnal Mortum
Negura Bunget

So not the 'hyperblastbeatfurycoldasice' kind of atmosphere, but long epic passages that drift through the landscapes...

...I'm sure there is much to explore, and I'm sure you guys have already done some of this homework.

:Spin:

Graveland
Lord Wind
Wyrd (so I've heard, I should have two Wyrd albums today or tomorrow)
Bergthron
Woodtemple

Lutz said:
Temnozor'
Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra
That MVD CD is really good, but holy hell it's a chore to sit through, being 72 minutes. I hate leaving CDs unfinished when I start listening, so it's hard for me to push the stop button.

I'm working on getting Temnozor'.

you need "siebenbürgen - loreia".

i'm so desperate to get someone in here to recognize their greatness that i've actually uploaded one of their songs from that very album... here enjoy damn you! :loco:

(edit: jeje, the link's not working, how surprising)

Wigrid, that's the only metal I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

And, It's not metal but check out Henryk Górecki "Symphony No. 3." (I started a thread on this a while ago)

Also Wongraven and Mortiis (only "Født til å Herkse") (these aren't metal either as you probably know)

J. said:
That MVD CD is really good, but holy hell it's a chore to sit through, being 72 minutes. I hate leaving CDs unfinished when I start listening, so it's hard for me to push the stop button.

I'm working on getting Temnozor'.
I guess it is one of those albums you REALLY need to be in the mood to listen to.

Himinbjørg should also be mentioned in this topic (the two first albums).

If you wanna give darkwave a try, Dargaard (ex-Abigor vocalist) and Die Verbannten Kinder Evas (Protector from Summoning) are very atmospheric bands, Dargaard in particular.

Geasa - a more black metal Primordial. I recommend getting Fate's Lost Son.

Primordial - in particular A Journey's End. I really think you'd dig that one. Very dark, some acoustics. Lots of stuff you like. Back me up here, Erik.

Nydvind - listen to some mp3's at www.nydvind.com

I intend to make a haul from this thread, so I shall enjoy watching the ideas roll through from you guys. I'd like to try out some new bands too.

The In the Woods...that I have is Omnio, Three Times Seven, and a Return to the Isle of Man. Truth be known, I just haven't listened to any of these in a long while. Should I pull out one of these, or get some other In the Woods that is missing from my collection - e.g. HEart of Ages?

Also, I have been wanting to get some Astrofaes for a while now.

What about Green Carnation? I have Light of Day... maybe I should pull that one out too. Haven't heard it in ages, I might appreciate it more now.

Carry on. :cool:

JayKeeley said:
The In the Woods...that I have is Omnio, Three Times Seven, and a Return to the Isle of Man. Truth be known, I just haven't listened to any of these in a long while. Should I pull out one of these, or get some other In the Woods that is missing from my collection - e.g. HEart of Ages?
HEart of the Ages is their best IMO. I'd ignore Strange in Stereo. I just never could get into that one.

J. said:
If you wanna give darkwave a try, Dargaard (ex-Abigor vocalist) and Die Verbannten Kinder Evas (Protector from Summoning) are very atmospheric bands, Dargaard in particular.
Of course Summoning should probably be on the top of this thread somewhere.

Best Summoning Album: Stronghold

In the Woods... definitely, and you know Falkenbach... have you heard the new Throes of Dawn "Quicksilver Clouds" yet? I find that excellent

HEart of the Ages certainly is essential.

I think you, and everyone else for that matter, should get Nargaroth - Geliebte des Regens. It really fucking rules. Very long, depressive black metal songs, kind of like Burzum but without the vocals. Very highly recommended.

spaffe said:
you need "siebenbürgen - loreia".

i'm so desperate to get someone in here to recognize their greatness that i've actually uploaded one of their songs from that very album... here enjoy damn you! :loco:

(edit: jeje, the link's not working, how surprising)
I have Siebenburgen - Delictum. Is it anything like that? That album was quite good, but haven't listened to it in absolutely ages, and can't really be bothered to either.

Doom said:
I have Siebenburgen - Delictum. Is it anything like that? That album was quite good, but haven't listened to it in absolutely ages, and can't really be bothered to either.

no it's pretty different, delictum is a lot more "gothic" and melodious (still really good though), while loreia is rawer both musically and production-wise, and has a feeling that i have found on very few other records. it's not black metal per se but it has a lot similarities to bm, it's more "dark metal" i'd say, and gothic if you understand the lyrics i guess

i would also suggest Virgin Black "Elegant... and Dying" as well because to me it exudes atmosphere and some escapism. But not everyone can appreciate it.

Carbonized said:
i would also suggest Virgin Black "Elegant... and Dying" as well because to me it exudes atmosphere and some escapism. But not everyone can appreciate it.
Excellent album. I loved reviewing it too. Ended up at #5 in my top 10 of 2003.

I agree with the ITW recommendations, if you're on a budget get the live album as it contains many of the best songs from the two missing ones. The other Green Carnation albums have a different atmosphere than Light of Day, and probably wouldn't meet your requirement, at least not over the course of the entire album.