At risk of sounding like a massive nerd...

Psycroptipath

Throbbing Member
I reckon heaps of bits of watershed sound like the music off Diablo II. Any one played it? I thought it the first time I heard the album, I was listening with a mate who also plays Diablo and when the very first chord was played in Coil we looked at each other and both thought it sounded exactly like the music in Tristram. Then the run in Heir Apparent at 4:43 sounds like the Rogue Encampment, and the flutey bit at 3:37 sounds very Lut Gholein-esque.

Anyone agree? or do i just play to many computer games?

aha! i get it now. Really? (are you talking about Mike?) and who are you talking about at blizzard? or are u just pulling my leg?

No pulling here. Don't know who the chap at Blizzard is, but I know they're friends. Doubt the game music thingy will ever happen since Opeth obviously is Mikaels main priority. But, it would be sweeeeet.

I don't remember the music from Diablo II well enough to compare it to Opeth, but the music from Diablo kicked major ass, and is one of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time... and also one of my favorite video games, period.

Also, since Blizzard made the almighty Starcraft: Brood War, they win!

I think many parts of My Arms, your Hearse sound alot like the Diablo II soundtrack.
The Tristam town music has the same vibe as many "foresty" acoustic parts in Opeth's music and probably share some chords; plus, even some themes are alike (Demon of the Fall, anyone? ^^)
I always thought that the "Your body is mine to avail, such a tragic sight you are"- part in the Leper Affinity is almost exactely the same as the tristam-melody.

I find the atmosphere of Watershed to be too bright, at least on most songs, to remind me of Diablo and I think that also on Ghost Reveries, there's much more Matt Uelmen-like stuff.

Haha! There is certainly a resemblance between the musics, you're correct! However I doubt Watershed is a veiled tribute to Diablo. Mike seems pretty up-front about his video game loveage.

demon of the fall = mephisto cuz u kill him 50 times every day for gozu items

I always noticed the acoustic bit in The Baying of the Hounds right before the ending heaviness sounded A LOT like the music for Tristram in the original Diablo. Seriously give that a listen and you'll hear it. Tristram had great music, such a sad atmosphere, maybe because no one ever moved...