Attn: Toby and MOTW: Please write a really long song.

OK, John Cage wrote a piece of music called "ASLSP" (which somehow means "As Slow As Possible") that's supposed to take 639 years to perform, with a single chord banged out every year. A German town is playing it on an organ (certainly to draw tourists) and plans to be finished in 2640. The organizer said:

"I am 57 years old. I have to accept the distinct possibility that I shall die before the concert is over."

John Cage was the guy who did 4'33", a track of four minutes and thirty-three seconds of total silence, and his estate is now suing a British composer for coming out with a track that's one minute of silence. The lawsuit is not expected to go far, however, because the Brit has challenged Cage's people to identify which minute of Cage's work was the exact minute ripped off. Hee hee hee!

John Cage was the guy who did 4'33", a track of four minutes and thirty-three seconds of total silence

this is actually a common misunderstanding of the piece. 4'33" was written for piano. There is a piano set up onstage in a concert hall, the pianist comes out on stage and sits down at the piano. When he sits, the piece begins. The pianist sits there and doesn't play a note... the resulting composition is the crowd reaction.. the tittering, fidgeting, the room noise.

As in much avant-garde composition, the charm of 4'33" is its chaos... it's not only different, but unpredictably different every time it's performed, even though it's a composition.

Really! I never knew that. If that's so, then how could Cage's estate have anything close to a case against the Brit?

They probably are suing amicably, as a publicity stunt.

type o negative should sue them for stealing their song "the misinterpretation of silence and its disastrous consiquences" which is 1 min and 4 seconds of silence. unless johnny cage's was first (before 1991).
by the way, is that the same john cage from mortal kombat?