Audio Related Jargon - Defining a Mix

_Brutalism_

May 14, 2008
In my short years in the audio engineering realm I have come across quite a few words used to describe subjective views about a particular mix.

Since sound is perceived differently, and since sound waves are invisible to the naked eye, interesting words are used by individuals to define their experience.

For example:

Muddy, creamy, airy, boomy, lush, colourful, warm, etc, etc.

As individuals it is often up to our creativity and personal experience for the names which we give a particular sound (or amalgamation of different timbres in general), and most of us don't hold back in trying to embellish our description by including such terms.

But let's all agree, some of these words are very elusive; meaning that describing sound can lead to communication breakdowns and subsequent confusion. Imagine trying to explain to the artists you're recording that their mix is grainy with too much subtle airy overtones lacking a chunky low-end.

Obviously, what one is referring to is the way the frequencies of the audio piece are shaped. Through EQing, one may transform a particularly described mix and alter it just like altering the taste of a meal by chugging different spices and sauces. It is interesting how we relate different senses to the way we describe sound, such as the sense of taste and feeling.

But I ask you, as individuals, what kind of frequency parameters would you label such words with?

For example, I take it that a "boomy" mix is one which is too abundant in the low-end part of the spectrum, particularly between 60-100 Hz. But this is my inexperienced judgment.

What do you guys think? Are there universal connotations which beginners should always keep in mind in order to understand criticism better?

After all, critiquing a mix is far more interesting using easily readable terms which one can "relate to", rather than going into technical jargon like what frequencies and filters are employed and to what extent.

Is this type of embellishment dangerous in the sense that it could mislead certain folk, especially of foreign origin from the English language? I'm quite sure that different countries would have different words for different perceptions of sound. But since we all perceive sound differently, as some have more of a keen ear than others, what are your views?

Are there universal definitions of such words or are they open to interpretation? And what do you understand by the words in your fancy audio arsenal?

A good friend of mine once said that "Trying to describe sound through words is like trying to describe architecture through dancing".

still, i find that words are useful for describing sounds :D

when we talk about a sound being "boomey" , it is not only the frequency content we must consider, but also the volume envelope of the sound and how it behaves over time.
we all know the difference between a boomey "WHHHUUUUUUUMPP WWWHHHUUUUMMMP" and a tight chuggy sound, though they may contain the same frequencies, their volume envelope leads to a different perception of the sound.

I've been wanting to make a thread like this for a while but I figured it would just get buried. I think this is a great idea. Some people have their own jargon but for the most part there is a universal language to describe things. We need some sort of stickied dictionary.

A good friend of mine once said that "Trying to describe sound through words is like trying to describe architecture through dancing".
You're good friends with Elvis Costello?!? :Smug:

Seriously though, a thread like this isn't gonna help too much unless everyone posts audio examples next to the word as their definition and even then everyone will probably argue about it anyway. It's all subjective!

Seriously though, a thread like this isn't gonna help too much unless everyone posts audio examples next to the word as their definition and even then everyone will probably argue about it anyway. It's all subjective!

Exactly, so is it a futile attempt when we describe such things in words without audio samples to relate to what we're saying?

There was a really good thread here a while ago which explained all meanings... I can't find it though

That's a shame :erk:

I think boomy is quite clear.

What does boooooooom sounds like. If you can hear that in the low end of the mix, it's boomy

Haha yes, because "boomy" is a word relating to sound. It's when it relates to taste and feelings that things become vague.

I remember a little while ago, I suddenly "got" what people meant by this or that terminology. Took me fucking ages to work it out and hear it for myself, and I'm pretty sure I still dont "know" what some things mean.

Personal favorites - "wooly"/"stuffy" (too much 400 Hz in distorted guitars) and "cornered hissing cat" :D (too much 3k in distorted guitars)

It would be good to hear what people consider a boomey/muddy/thin.etc tone/sound to be. Maybe youtube has something people can use as examples?

"Thin" still stumps me from time to time. One day I can think my tones are thin, then the next day I'm not so sure anymore...

My kick always needs more "wang".

You mean more of this? :p

more_cowbell.jpg