3) sample 3 = 320kbps
4) sample 4 = cd quality

Most possible that I am wrong cause I only used my pathetic pc speakers

Reactions: Sadguru
1) sample 1 = 192 kbps
2) sample 2 = cd quality
3) sample 3 = 128 kbps
4) sample 4 = 320 kbps
well, that was hard. I hope I got the cd quality one right.
edit: listening on Tech B noise cancelling headphones.

I need to listen on better speakers.... so far, w/ headphones they mostly sound the same. I have some hunches.

Also, the test may have been easier with some more dynamic and less squashed than Katatonia.

I need to listen on better speakers.... so far, w/ headphones they mostly sound the same. I have some hunches.

Also, the test may have been easier with some more dynamic and less squashed than Katatonia.
Cool. Take your time, I won't give the results today anyway.

Wow. Listened through my HT setup, with the amp on direct monitoring mode so as not to color the sound any. My speakers are VERY flat, so I hoped to be able to pick out the subtle nuances. I really couldn't! And I think I have pretty decent ears. I had to stop because it was driving my 2 year old nuts!

I'll respond when she takes a nap!

@Sadguru: what did you use to encode the samples?

A few things I've thought since trying this:

1. Sadguru is pulling our legs, and it's all the same bitrate :erk: (but I seriously doubt it)
2. The soundcard is a quality bottleneck (I may try popping these onto my iPod, then hooking it up to my HT system to test this theory)
3. The folks who designed the MP3 compression formats really took psychoacoustics into consideration (like they claimed) and it truly is nearly impossible to differentiate between bitrates.

@Sadguru: what did you use to encode the samples?
Audiograbber + external encoder Lame + a custom argument.

1. Sadguru is pulling our legs, and it's all the same bitrate :erk: (but I seriously doubt it)
2. The soundcard is a quality bottleneck (I may try popping these onto my iPod, then hooking it up to my HT system to test this theory)
3. The folks who designed the MP3 compression formats really took psychoacoustics into consideration (like they claimed) and it truly is nearly impossible to differentiate between bitrates.

:lol:, I can assure you that the bitrates are different.

Out of the laptop with daughter napping:

1) Sample 1 = 192
2) Sample 2 = 128
3) Sample 3 = 320
4) Sample 4 = CD

I'll be interested to hear more of what methods people used to determine bitrates. I'm pretty certain 3 and 4 are higher quality and 1 and 2 are lower, but it's a bit of a toss up as to which of each pair is better, imo. I tried keying in on the cymbals and the snare (the snare seemed to be the way to choose between 1 and 2 for worst quality).

I'm going to try my little iPod experiment now, but it means using a different computer and syncing my iPod (after I just ripped a shitload of old xmas CD's...). It also means contuing to blow off this day.

Reactions: Sadguru
thanks for your results soundave,

What's the iPod experiment, if I may ask? Do you mean simply listening to the files on your iPod?

thanks for your results soundave,

What's the iPod experiment, if I may ask? Do you mean simply listening to the files on your iPod?

Put files on iPod, connect iPod to amp (in direct mode). Just to see if there's a noticeable difference when the soundcard is in the mix (although it would be soundcard vs. line out of iPod...I wish iPod had digital out!)

And as I thought, with xmas cd additions, I've had to do some creative shit with my library to fit what I want. Xmas music does that. I only leave it on the iPod during the holidays--it takes up way too much room.

So, imo, it's even harder to tell the difference from the iPod.:erk:

The signal is way hotter out of the laptop, and I think it's probably higher quality. If the iPod had digital outs, though... but as I understand it, that would be a huge problem. That's a way for a competing MP3 player to win out... oh wrong thread...:loco:

I stick with my answer.