Avant-garde music

Exactly, it is a convenient tool for reviewers as it can mean nothing and everything at the same time.
Though implicitly you kind of "know" which bands are going to fall under the definition of avant-garde, when their music is a wee bit complex and presents sound patterns which diverge from the commonplace guitar/bass/drums + possibly synths, though it brings to another problematics: from which point does music become "unusual". Another point is: when a music niche or a new instrument or a given type of alien structures considered avant-garde have been explored by many bands, do they remain avant-garde?

To hell, I don't care... But one thing is for sure, in my mind, until now, "avant-garde" is already a token of quality, meaning I don't consider bands mixing everything up in a simulacre of techniques as avant-garde, but rather as messy/pointless.

And, yes, Atrox and Manes are avant-garde, so are Thee Maldoror Kollective, even Negura Bunget to some extent

and Ephel Duath, and Ulver, and Tool, and System Of a Down, and Meshuggah, and Void Of Silence, and Dodheimsgard, and John Zorn, and Unholy, and many others

Avant-garde is very experimental music that spreads across all genres from industrial to metal to post-rock/indie. These projects often form because the people get sick of playing a particular style of music and want to try experimenting with something different. As someone pointed out earlier, there is a large variety instrumentation used. Lots of guitars/drums/percussion/strings/banjos/harps/synths/whatever and other unusual instruments often processed electronically.

Right off the top of my head some avant-garde acts: Acid Mothers Temple, John Cage, Windham Hell, Legendary Pink Dots, Nurse with Wound, Coil, Merzbow, KK Null, Brighter Death Now, Fantomas, Set Fire to Flames.

my favourite avantgarde bands apart code666 bands:

Sunn O)))
Khanate
Atrium Carceri
Coph Nia
Canaan
Bad Sector
Scald
Converge
Today is the day
Neurosis
Zao (rip)
Wertham
Ain Soph
DBPIT
Apatheia

I know they are not all metal bands, not all can be described as avantgarde in strict terms, but this is my idea of an Avantgarde in music...

Michele/Xyphias said:
my favourite avantgarde bands apart code666 bands:

Sunn O)))
Khanate
Atrium Carceri
Coph Nia
Canaan
Bad Sector
Scald
Converge
Today is the day
Neurosis
Zao (rip)
Wertham
Ain Soph
DBPIT
Apatheia

I know they are not all metal bands, not all can be described as avantgarde in strict terms, but this is my idea of an Avantgarde in music...
well Michele, you'll be happy to know that one of those bands in your list will release the next album on code666! :)
it's not 100% sure yet, so I wait to make the announcement, but again i'm glad to give you a great band to work on in the future... :)

I believe the origin of the term is military jargon, and that it refers to the force which comes in front of all others. When borrowed to describe an artistic trend I think it means experimenting wildly with things unthinkable, unseen and unheard of, leading the next generation of artists (in case of success in becoming recognized) and our culture in general to new realms of creativity. It's a big, unexpected, shocking and hard-to-digest surprise when having an avantgardistic experirence. Maybe just experimenting and toying isn't enough to gain the avant-garde rank - it should enforce upon the listener a change in conceptions (either that, or arouse repulsion).

Avant-garde is sort of blasphemous towards current common beliefs about what music should be.

There are plenty of hardly-known, unpopular metal bands. While the music of some may be very original, it would still be misleading to crown them as avant-garde in haste, as some reviewers or fans do (imho).

Sometimes I also see people mistake something provocative for being avant-garde.

I'm not sure which of the bands I like (if at all) the definition above fits for, but usually when I see a reviewer having a hard time following some chaotic or abstract musical piece, maybe even using the term avant-garde (in a positive or negative manner), I usually make sure to take notice and check them out. The reward, sometimes, is great. (sure, there's also plenty of shit out there, as we all know (refering in a conflicting way to different bands - my 'shit' may be your favourite stew)) I'm using that common mistake to find non-avantgarde music, which is interesting and refreshing. I guess that I'd be repulsed by real avant-garde like just about everyone else.

btw, can anyone define progressive music?

Progressive music? Isn't it just random playing and hoping something good will come out? :)

r.

Michele/Xyphias said:
Blut Aus Nord are a great band, I love their music...

In the same vein (vision would be a better term...) but in a better way for me (he he !), you got Funeral Mist with their latest album "Salvation"

Nicko said:
In the same vein (vision would be a better term...) but in a better way for me (he he !), you got Funeral Mist with their latest album "Salvation"

thanx to advise me about them Nicko. I will check for the album.
If you are linked with them you can telll them that I can review their new album for an italian metal portal, so they can feel free to submit it to me (if interested they can contact me via michele@code666.net)
:cool: