What movie isn't cliché nowadays. I, honestly, am not one for thinking a movie with brilliant special effects and nothing else is anything to drop shit over. I may, at some point, wish to see Avatar, but I doubt I would willingly pay $10+ to do so. James Cameron has many some truly remarkable films, but it seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of digital effects blowout, which really detracts a lot from a movie, and if the plot is shit to begin with, this really doesn't leave much left. I'm sure I'll see it at some point, but I am not dropping everything and running to the theatre.

Everyone is so caught up on this whole "the plot is unoriginal" shit that I think it's taking away from the enjoyment that someone might have from watching the movie. For example, when I saw it on opening weekend, all of the negative criticism had not yet started and as such, I went into it not knowing what to expect and came away with an awesome experience. I didn't once think "wow this is so much like Pocahontas" or anything like that. However, now that people have read the criticisms about it, you're already going into it from a negative perspective and will try and validate those claims whenever you can, instead of just enjoying the movie for what it is.

And honestly, even seeing stuff like that picture that Coy posted and reading the bad reviews, I'd still pay $10 to see it again and Ive already seen it 3 times. It's just a damn good movie. Just because it shares plot similarities with something else does not means it's automatically a bad thing. I think it was in the Roger Ebert review that I read where he compared seeing Avatar to the first time he saw Star Wars in the theater. Unfortunately I was not around to see Star Wars at its theatrical release, but I can understand the comparison. It's not like anything else you've seen before.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I know that if I had waited to see it on a tv rather then seeing it in 3D in the theater, I would be hugely disappointed. Matinee showings are a good thing.

John on the defensive?!!? Damnit John... You are not allowed to have an opinion! If you start coming to practice talking about what direction to take CID's music.. Im out!!!!!!!!
Or maybe instead, I'll just let you and Casey do all of the headbutting and Coy can try smooth things over between the two of you, and I will just sit in the corner quitely. Coy and I need a vacation.

Ok... So what I really came on here to say is that I will most likely be seeing this movie in the near future. I typically trust John's judgement on things of this nature, since we for the most part have pretty similar tastes when it comes to being entertained.

I do enjoy a good story being woven into movies, but I can also enjoy movies at face value. As long as I can walk away from a movie entertained in some way, then I don't feel like my money was wasted. :Spam:

That was my outburst for the year. Now that I have fulfilled my quota, things can get back to normal!

I do enjoy a good story being woven into movies, but I can also enjoy movies at face value. As long as I can walk away from a movie entertained in some way, then I don't feel like my money was wasted. :Spam:

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't think that a movie has to win an Oscar to be good. Avatar was a movie that not only had some of the strongest visuals in any movie I've ever seen, but also had a story that worked very well for it, no matter how similar it was to something else.

This movie is amazing. When I walked out of the theatre the 1st time I saw it (saw it twice and would see it a 3rd time gladly) I actually said to John, Chris, and Sean "That was the best movie I have EVER seen!" Then proceded to go into the bathroom to pee. :yow:

The second time I saw it was with John, and MaJohn and PaJohn, I said "That is the best movie I have EVER seen twice!":OMG: Then proceded to the bathroom to pee...

It was a long movie and worth every moment.

I really want to see it again.

That was my outburst for the year. Now that I have fulfilled my quota, things can get back to normal!

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't think that a movie has to win an Oscar to be good. Avatar was a movie that not only had some of the strongest visuals in any movie I've ever seen, but also had a story that worked very well for it, no matter how similar it was to something else.

Aye I agree, but John, you said Avatar may have been the best film you ever saw!

What movie isn't cliché nowadays. I, honestly, am not one for thinking a movie with brilliant special effects and nothing else is anything to drop shit over. I may, at some point, wish to see Avatar, but I doubt I would willingly pay $10+ to do so. James Cameron has many some truly remarkable films, but it seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of digital effects blowout, which really detracts a lot from a movie, and if the plot is shit to begin with, this really doesn't leave much left. I'm sure I'll see it at some point, but I am not dropping everything and running to the theatre.

That's like saying metal is unoriginal. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of breakdowns. etc.

Not so sir!

Everyone is so caught up on this whole "the plot is unoriginal" shit that I think it's taking away from the enjoyment that someone might have from watching the movie. For example, when I saw it on opening weekend, all of the negative criticism had not yet started and as such, I went into it not knowing what to expect and came away with an awesome experience. I didn't once think "wow this is so much like Pocahontas" or anything like that. However, now that people have read the criticisms about it, you're already going into it from a negative perspective and will try and validate those claims whenever you can, instead of just enjoying the movie for what it is.

And honestly, even seeing stuff like that picture that Coy posted and reading the bad reviews, I'd still pay $10 to see it again and Ive already seen it 3 times. It's just a damn good movie. Just because it shares plot similarities with something else does not means it's automatically a bad thing. I think it was in the Roger Ebert review that I read where he compared seeing Avatar to the first time he saw Star Wars in the theater. Unfortunately I was not around to see Star Wars at its theatrical release, but I can understand the comparison. It's not like anything else you've seen before.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I know that if I had waited to see it on a tv rather then seeing it in 3D in the theater, I would be hugely disappointed. Matinee showings are a good thing.

Let me expound a little more on what I said earlier. I can go in and watch a film just for fun, to think, to do both, whatever. I watched Zombieland recently and enjoyed it enough. Was it something that I loved? Was it something that I'd seek out to watch again? Probably not. Perhaps if I was at home and it came on tv at 2 am and I had nothing else to do. It keeps you entertained for a while. I have no problem with that.

I haven't seen Avatar yet, so I cannot really say. I might enjoy it, I might not. Judging by most of the reviews it seems like I probably would find some enjoyment out of it. It's just getting a ton of hype, a lot of it. I've heard best movie ever said a few times. Sometimes too much hype just ends up ruining things. I think that's why there's been so much backlash. When someone says something is the best, it tends to get nitpicked to death and to a degree that's actually probably a testament to how good the film actually is.

I'm just hesitant to crown in the best film ever, especially if it does lack a strong plot. Good, sure, great, maybe, but best I don't know.

Man I don't even know what my favorite film ever is. Maybe Man Bites Dog or Annie Hall.

I want to see Avatar, but I'm afraid John might FORCE HIS OPINION DOWN MY THROAT YET A-FUCKING-GAIN about how amazzzzzzzzing and how it's the bestest best film eeeeeeevvvvvver.

9 out of 10 scientificticians implied that if a film is extremely similar in plot to another film, it's immediately rubbish.

So I've now witness the feat of technical wizardry that is Avatar in 3D.
Let me start off by saying that I deffinitely get the Pocahontas references.
Now that I've got that out of the way for the critics, I will say that I was seriously amazed at the high caliber CG. Everything flowed seemlessly; the animation, the cinematic back drops, the voice overs, and the story all were tightly woven into an epic movie. Despite what could be perceived as an unoriginal story line, it still felt fresh and was well executed. I would not perhaps go so far to say that it was the best movie I've ever witnessed, but it certainly ranks in with the best of the best. It is something that I would confidentally recommend to others, and will be ready and waiting to secure my blu-ray copy when it is released. I don't know that I will return to theaters to catch it again ($13 is a bit steep), but I do greatly look forward to it's home release to be secured amonst my collection of favorites.

Avatar will probably be the motivation I need to get a blu-ray player (or more likely, a PS3) when it's released on video. And yes I guess we do have similar tastes, Brian, because I agree on all counts. Well kind of, because I did go and see it again, but it was only $7, as apposed to $13.