Average bands that made a song that kicks tremendous ass

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
I was listening to Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve and I realized that while not the most popular or great metal band, Future Breed Machine is one of the best metal songs I have ever heard. Rarely do I see a mention of this band on here, and not that many people hold them in really high regard. But everything about that song is awesome. Are there any bands that you aren't necessarily big fans of, but have made a song or two that ranks in your best ever list?

Yup... FBM is probably their best song.

I would say Arch Enemy - The Immortal but I'm sure I could find a better example.

Meshuggah is pretty bland. I enjoyed their music about 5-6 years ago, and credit them for helping me get into metal. Albeit, I haven't heard their music for a long time.

As for the topic, I can't really think of anything except Cynic - Uroboric Forms (The version on the 91 demo)

Cynic was always a disappointment to me. How Could I is still a really awesome song. Focus is basically a less good version of Human, but with more effects. I hear that the demos are better. I might check that out sometime.

I hate Messhugah. I don't think I could hate them more. I haven't listened to any of their stuff in a good year or two so I can't really be specific in criticising the band, however, I gave the album 'Nothing' atleast 3 or 4 listens and loathed everything about it. Every second it felt like I was being punished for downloading their music. Their music (from memory) chugged and the vocals were nothing short of awful.

Eve's Plumb - I Want it all
Whale - Hobo Humping Slobo Babe

MasterOLightning said:
Focus is basically a less good version of Human, but with more effects.

I don't like Focus that much but that's just ridiculous. Focus is far and away more advanced compositionally and a way better example of jazz/prog metal than Human.

Cythraul said:
I don't like Focus that much but that's just ridiculous. Focus is far and away more advanced compositionally and a way better example of jazz/prog metal than Human.

Just because the album is composed well and is rather unique does not make it great to listen to. Human isn't jazz/prog metal anyway, so your argument doesn't really work. Focus is good. But Cynic gets mentioned alongside Atheist often, and the two aren't even close. My expectations were never met.

I haven't heard any Meshuggah other than DEI, but the reviews for their other stuff aren't so good.