Average bands that made a song that kicks tremendous ass

MasterOLightning said:
Just because the album is composed well and is rather unique does not make it great to listen to. Human isn't jazz/prog metal anyway, so your argument doesn't really work. Focus is good. But Cynic gets mentioned alongside Atheist often, and the two aren't even close. My expectations were never met.

So you're saying that Human and Focus aren't even in the same category? But that invalidates your point about Focus being a less good version of Human since they're basically too different to even compare.

Atheist>>>> Cynic.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
"I" was ridiculously boring.
Nah it ruled.

Quo Vadis - On the shores of Ithaka, I like the whole 'Day into night' album quite a bit but this song is leagues ahead of the rest.

Mithras - They came and you were silent, The ony song they have that I still enjoy listening to.

Cythraul said:
So you're saying that Human and Focus aren't even in the same category? But that invalidates your point about Focus being a less good version of Human since they're basically too different to even compare.

I just meant to say that Human doesn't have any jazz elements. It is less progressive than Focus. But in terms of riffing style, production, and musicianship, the albums are quite similar, and Human is better in these areas. Focus probably has the edge in lyrics, and bass playing, but Human does everything else better.

Messhugah- Craphugah
Cynic- Good (A little over-fellated though)

Agreed with the Blue Oyster Cult response. Don't fear the Reaper is one of the greatest classic rock songs of all time. The rest of their music is pretty meh.

well a lot to comment about here, first of all candiria sucks major ass.
average bands that made a great song
sentenced - broken
poison the well - artists rendering of me
cannibal corpse - worm infested
exodus - war is my shepherd
thats really all i can think of off hand

Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose
Edguy - Nailed To The Wheel

eh, a bunch more, but my thinking is on this essay I'm doing right now...

I totally agree about "Future Breed Machine".

Anyway, here's some of my suggestions:
Lamb of God "Ruin"
Machine Head "Davidian"
Nightwish "The Pharaoh Sails To Orion" (97% of their material is shit, really)
Satyricon "Mother North"

Atlas Shrugged said:
Agreed with the Blue Oyster Cult response. Don't fear the Reaper is one of the greatest classic rock songs of all time. The rest of their music is pretty meh.

"Don't Fear The Reaper" is like the 36th best BOC song. That band has 20-some years of amazing music in their back catalogue.

Buck Dharma = Best hardrock guitarist of the 70s.

arcofdesent said:
cannibal corpse - worm infested

Sooo very not the best Cannibal Corpse song.

stefan86 said:
Satyricon "Mother North"

Satyricon is an "average" band? :err:

The Grimace said:
"Don't Fear The Reaper" is like the 36th best BOC song. That band has 20-some years of amazing music in their back catalogue.

Seriously. People here just don't like to rock, methinks.

Necro Joe said:
Nah it ruled.

Quo Vadis - On the shores of Ithaka, I like the whole 'Day into night' album quite a bit but this song is leagues ahead of the rest.

Mithras - They came and you were silent, The ony song they have that I still enjoy listening to.
I wouldn't put Quo Vadis in the " average band " list. I would for Mithras though.

MasterOLightning said:
I just meant to say that Human doesn't have any jazz elements. It is less progressive than Focus. But in terms of riffing style, production, and musicianship, the albums are quite similar, and Human is better in these areas. Focus probably has the edge in lyrics, and bass playing, but Human does everything else better.

There are progressive elements in Human but they're of a more simplified sort than those found in the music of Atheist and Cynic. The riffs on Human are catchier than the riffs on Focus. That doesn't mean they're better, not by any stretch of the imagination. How the hell is Human better in terms of musicianship? I don't think you have any understanding of the rudiments of music. Focus is way more advanced and complex rhythmically, melodically, and creatively. Human is a catchy, fist-pumping death metal album with simple song structures and faux progressive touches. Focus> Human.