Awesome-sounding non-metal albums

Keep 'em coming people, I've gotten some great additions to my ear cleanser playlist from this thread! :)

Another album I'd like to mention is a long-time favorite of mine, Clutch - Blast Tyrant. I was quite surprised to find out it was produced by Machine. Sounds totally different to most of his other work. Awesome album.

Ah, just remember the Ben Folds Five album "Whatever and Ever Amen", which is yet again, another Andy Wallace mix.
No tuning on the vocals. You can definitely hear some slightly out of tune moments on the album, but Ben Folds is just a fantastic vocalist, so it never bothers me one bit.
The whole trio was just amazing really, incredibly accomplished instrumentalists and their supreme talent was just totally captured so well on that album.

Ah man, there so much cool alternative rock back in the 90s.
Old enough now to remember when "The Color and the Shape" by the Foo Fighters had only just been released (production isn't quite as good as There is Nothing Left to Lose, but definitely sounds pretty good for 1997 anyway)
Ahh, good times those were, good times.

Here's some favourites and some I've been digging recently:
Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol. 2
DJ Krush - Jaku
Merzbow - Frog+
Nosaj Thing - Drift
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, all albums
Massive Attack - Blue Lines and Mezzanine
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Nine Inch Nails - Broken and everything after it
OGRE YOU ASSHOLE - アルファベータ vs. ラムダ
Joy Division - Closer
QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf
Ulver - Perdition City, Blood Inside, Shadows of the Sun
椎名林檎 - 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花 but honestly, all of her albums (though I'm not sure I like the new one) and 東京事変 are pretty good
Mouse on the Keys - An Anxious Object
相対性理論 - ハイファイ新書 and シンクロニシティーン

I love how 椎名林檎 isn't afraid to go for stuff like this though she's in a way considered "mainstream pop":

Last edited by a moderator:

Plz keep posting.this thread is epic.Will be great if you can post youtube videos with everything you suggest.

CHECK THIS

As epic as it gets.they have this album for free on their website.one of the best bands out there

Last edited by a moderator:
+100 on Minus the Bear! Fucking love that band and am SO BUMMED that I missed them here in Austin a couple weeks ago. :cry: Love their productions.

American Idiot - Green Day (love the drums!)
And the guitars!
"Relationship of Command" by At the Drive In. Another Wallace mix. The whole thing just sounds really unique, I love it.
"The Shape of Punk to Come" by Refused. A really cool sounding 90s record, and like Relationship of Command, totally changed the way I saw punk.
I was gonna post Relationship of Command but then I saw you posted it already. As you said it's sooo awesome, really! The Shape of Punk to come is cool as well.
"Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume I: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness". Yet again, another Wallace mix :lol:
Love it.
Can't say about Vol. I but Vol. II isn't bad either. :)

I'm gonna add Billy Talent - II to the list. CLA mixed this. Can't really go wrong with him. I could add a few more albums but they'd probably all be CLA/Wallace/Staub. :D The Black Album for example...

shape of punk to come is fucking amazing sounding
best drum sound ever
seriously

And the guitars!

Everything about that album just kicks ass. Its always the case with them, they are really great musicians just playing really simple music. I dunno how much Covallo actually does but the last 3 Cd's sounded amazing. Really love this band cause they are so much fun.

Edit:
Well I guess looking up Covallos resume shows he does some amazing shit ...lol

GooGoo Dolls \m/
Paramore \m/
Shinedown \m/

Awesome, I will have to look more into his body of work now.