AXP SoftDrive GV - Marshall Guv'nor VST model

AXP

I've just released a plug-in that models the Marshall Guv'nor guitar distortion (a solid-state distortion stomp-box from the 90'es). It's designed to be very versatile and is applicable to much more than just a guitar.
To me the original Guv'nor was always something special, as it was the first distortion I've assembled myself from the schematic and also the first analog circuit I've modeled when I started learning the DSP stuff. Today I'm revisiting it with a much more sophisticated model and I hope you will all like it. You can find a much more detailed description on my site. It's free just as all my previous plug-ins (by the way, thanks for a good amount of traffic my site gets from a post over here!)

Homepage: AXP SoftDrive GV
Your comments and suggestions are welcome as usual.

x9eh.png

Quick sound sample:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very accurate!
Did a side by side with a C22 modded Guv'nor pedal, and it's right on. Great job modeling this!

See if you can hear the difference:
https://copy.com/IcP4sZz0aQFi

Alternates back and forth every bar. Settings almost identical (except lower bass knob on the pedal) into Lecab 2.

Thanks a lot guys!
Pickasso,
Your side by side comparison sounds great, my only concern is that the tracks were not completely muted, but rather soft-panned left and right. The difference is there, but it's so small I'm impressed myself :)

AXP, you are becoming more and more grater in my eyes. I love your stuff and way you think further than most VST sim modellers - adding features that take that sim further, like your charbooster (which should have it's own topic there, because I haven't found it yet).

I was interested to find sim that could be closer to marshal MG combos, that have kinda hi-gain overdrive with pretty tight drive. And Possibly your guvnor done it (haven't tried it myself yet tho).
Probably you could be closest bet that could make legendary sims that A lot people want to see for long time (like boss HM-2/ topic about solid state amps for oldschool death/ grind metal (like ampeg VH140C)/ and some other highly wanted gear sims)
Cheers dude.

AXP, you are becoming more and more grater in my eyes. I love your stuff and way you think further than most VST sim modellers - adding features that take that sim further, like your charbooster (which should have it's own topic there, because I haven't found it yet).

I was interested to find sim that could be closer to marshal MG combos, that have kinda hi-gain overdrive with pretty tight drive. And Possibly your guvnor done it (haven't tried it myself yet tho).
Probably you could be closest bet that could make legendary sims that A lot people want to see for long time (like boss HM-2/ topic about solid state amps for oldschool death/ grind metal (like ampeg VH140C)/ and some other highly wanted gear sims)
Cheers dude.

Nezvers, thanks a lot for your attitude towards my work.
Your comment about the old-school distortion is spot-on. This is what I'm actually working on, because I think there are a lot of solid-state pedals and amps that are unfairly forgotten by the VST developers.
I've got a few effects on my to-do list that I think you would be glad to see and hear, HM-2 is there too!
So check back from time to time, I've got more stuff coming soon.
Also do let me know about your experience with SoftDrive GV, and make sure to update to the latest version (1.0.01).

Very nice AXP!! I like this a lot. I like the scale feature, adds a nice touch when lowering it. I like the fact that this doesn't have a harsh or "cold" sound to it.. Its warm and soft but adds a nice drive to lead tones.

Really great work!

~Scott

Dude, I LOVE your guvnor VST, just tested and i'm so sad now because I updated to never version after testing 1.0.00 version + deleted it when updated to 1.0.01.
I'm sad because I liked sound it gave on GV-1 with LEDs option - it gave dynamics no VST could gave me before (I only wished it had option to have more drive for easier pinch harmonics, but it wasn't undergained, instead kinda right amount of gain when max driven and with amazing punch) and 1.0.01 version got rid of that amazing punch, but gave gain I wanted (I could live better with gain as 00 version if it keep that punch).
Is there way to get 1.0.00 version too? Maybe I'm forgoting gain amount was on 00ver and that punch archiving with lower gain on 01ver, but I would prefer to test them side by side now :(

BTW I F-ing love options/"mods" you are putting in VST, when you do HM-2 do it too, it will make it epic sim for sure (just think what could push sound to next level)

Dude, I LOVE your guvnor VST, just tested and i'm so sad now because I updated to never version after testing 1.0.00 version + deleted it when updated to 1.0.01.
I'm sad because I liked sound it gave on GV-1 with LEDs option - it gave dynamics no VST could gave me before (I only wished it had option to have more drive for easier pinch harmonics, but it wasn't undergained, instead kinda right amount of gain when max driven and with amazing punch) and 1.0.01 version got rid of that amazing punch, but gave gain I wanted (I could live better with gain as 00 version if it keep that punch).
Is there way to get 1.0.00 version too? Maybe I'm forgoting gain amount was on 00ver and that punch archiving with lower gain on 01ver, but I would prefer to test them side by side now :(

Wow, thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it.
Now that's very interesting, because I didn't change the DSP code at all (well, I didn't intend to anyway). That might be a side effect of running multiple instances. Please save a copy of your project so you can reproduce it. I'll PM you a link to 1.0.0 shortly so you can test them side-by-side.

AXP, I am having an issue I have found today and wonder if you or anyone can recreate this. I'm using the x64 bit version on a x64 system....

Add softdrive gv to a track and have mode set on gv-1.
Turn up the deep knob.
Now switch mode to gv-2, then back to gv-1.

When I do this the deep knob resets to zero on gv-1 and can't be turned up, it no longer functions unless going back to gv-2 mode. Toggling between modes doesn't fix it.

I am running Reaper x64 v4.52, Win 8 x64, AMD 3.4 quad core, and 16gb Ram.

~scott

AXP, I am having an issue I have found today and wonder if you or anyone can recreate this. I'm using the x64 bit version on a x64 system....

Add softdrive gv to a track and have mode set on gv-1.
Turn up the deep knob.
Now switch mode to gv-2, then back to gv-1.

When I do this the deep knob resets to zero on gv-1 and can't be turned up, it no longer functions unless going back to gv-2 mode. Toggling between modes doesn't fix it.

I am running Reaper x64 v4.52, Win 8 x64, AMD 3.4 quad core, and 16gb Ram.

~scott

Hey Scott,

The original Guv'nor doesn't have the Deep control, it's a feature of GV-2.
That's why the control gets disabled when you switch to GV-1 mode.

from the GV's readme:
It was re-issued in the early 2000 in an updated housing and incorporating a new "Deep" control to mimic the effect of a JCM2000's "Deep" switch.
Deep - low-end resonance, also gives a slight top-end boost (GV-2 only)

However, you've actualy found an issue, because it should be also disabled if UI is opened in the GV-1 mode. It's only an UI issue, because it doesn't do anything to the sound in the GV-1 mode anyway.

I'll fix it, though I will hold back the release until I accumulate more bugs.

Thanks!

mc8h.jpg

the photo is not mine, I've found it somewhere

I had a feeling it was supposed to be disabled on gv-1 but wasn't sure :)

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Cheers :kickass: