Badass Rap

This was my favorite back in my high school weed smoking days...Octogonocologist
7f72d275-ec59-40f8-9bdc-722acee84b83-jpeg.14543
Check out the album Sex Style if you haven't.

And this one, this is my favourite of all of Kool Keith's stuff.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
I see this cat at Second Avenue Records and Kachka here in Portland...Matt (Aesop) is one of the coolest guys I’ve ever had a beer with. The more I listen to The Impossible Kid, the better it gets -it took a while to grow on me over songs like “daylight” and “gopher guts” but the whole album is a masterpiece -dude in person and some of his shit personally changed my life. I honestly don’t think any rapper right now could touch him in production and talent...1D2548E1-7B5C-4216-9B21-F5C7EB690D84.jpeg

Arguably the most vicious dis-track ever dropped. Canibus really went to town on LL Cool J here. LL's response to this track was rather weak.

2018 hip hop highlights (so far):

DrOctag_Moosebu_CoverAr_3000DPI300RGB1000238030.jpg

Moosebumps: An Exploration Into Modern Day Horripilation is basically an apology for 2005's The Return of Dr. Octagon which pretty much universally disappointed fans of Dr. Octagonecologyst. Easily my hip hop AOTY and anybody who loves Kool Keith's crazy mid-90's Octagon stuff will undoubtedly get a kick out of this shit. Kinda hard to even believe he was able to pull this off.

mf-doom-czarface-meets-metal-face-album-artwork.jpg

Basically peak nostalgia-mining with vintage beats, endless cartoon and comic book references, a general feeling of cynicism about the new school rap scene and so on. Rebel INS and MF DOOM doing what they do best: just rapping their asses off. Obviously 7L & Esoteric are also on point, Czarface Meets Metal Face is pretty much what I want in a hip hop collaboration, it's meat and potatoes stuff, nothing mind-blowing or game-changing. Czarface is kinda like the Darkthrone of hip hop, it's for the aging heads who get all grumpy over new trends.

It's also cool to see DOOM getting off his ass and working again, the guy was either burnt out or just lazy as fuck. I can't even remember the last time he put something out where he rhymes over his own beats (and the beats aren't old ass shits he revived from a floppy disc as opposed to crafting new stuff).

a2009875699_10.jpg

Ramson Badbonez is probably my favourite U.K. emcee (and maybe my favourite non-American emcee in general) and he started out doing a little bit of horrorcoreish stuff before just developing his own non-gimmicky style but this year he actually returned to his roots and put out a horrorcore themed record called Jason Bonez. Really catchy, cool references, great wordplay and flow, it's all there. He's also a killer freestyler.

1533920850_a976b066927294d6ca7b139f91675994.jpg

Has DJ Muggs ever released a bad "Soul Assassins" project? I don't think I've disliked a single one, anyway this one is another gem with grimy dungeon sci-fi beats and a cast of guests you can't be disappointed by; Kool G Rap, MF DOOM, Raekwon, Mayhem Lauren, Freddie Gibbs etc. Soul Assassins: Dia del Asesinato.

a1141082205_10.jpg

Ramson Badbonez also managed to pump out a mixtape this year called Ramson Badbonez & Company which is as good as any proper album I've heard from this year.

a4005454324_10.jpg

I've never checked out The Doppelgangaz before this year as far as I can remember but this album instantly stood out to me because of the production. The beats are absolutely fucking dark and gritty, like when everybody in the late 90's was trying to sound very nocturnal. Aaaaggghh is really good, the rhyming isn't too technical or gimmicky it just flows nicely and rides the beats perfectly, definitely going to check out their older shit because of this one.

a2520229316_10.jpg

Dreams & Vibrations by Damu the Fudgemunk & Flex Mathews. The name of the album pretty much sums it up perfectly, a very sunny summer positivity record but the beats still slam and Flex still flexes. Damu is the highlight because I'm just such a huge fan of his productions but he chose a great emcee to collaborate with. Album is a bit long for what it is though.

For anybody unfamiliar with Damu, he's basically a beat wizard that can use any kind of format:

Reactions: jimmy101