Bah Humbug or Merry Christmas?

Zero Dude said:
Merry Christmas.

It is for my kids, mostly. I love the look on their faces when they open their presents on X-mas morning!

A friend of mine proposes one has kinds again, to relive ones youth. I hope you and your kids had a good Xmas.

I had a rather indifferent Xmas. I think the older one gets, the less one likes christmas.

Bah Humbug. Do you really need all of the useless shit you get at Christmas? To me, it seems rather stupid go out, buy lots of shit for people we supposedly "care" about but really just want to stay on decent terms with because we know we have to see them every day, and get worthless shit in return that'll be thrown away within the week.

I'd just as soon have a second Thanksgiving. Food, family, none of the bullshit.

Cynical said:
Bah Humbug. Do you really need all of the useless shit you get at Christmas? To me, it seems rather stupid go out, buy lots of shit for people we supposedly "care" about but really just want to stay on decent terms with because we know we have to see them every day, and get worthless shit in return that'll be thrown away within the week.

I'd just as soon have a second Thanksgiving. Food, family, none of the bullshit.
ditto

Cynical said:

The stuff I get for christmas isnt worthless, its almost always stuff I want/need, so sucks to be you. The only worthless crap I get is from the christians on my moms side of the family. I also give gifts because I want to, and who I want to, not to stay on good terms but because i actually do care about them.

Im all for xmas, not for any religious meaning since Im an atheist, its just a chance for me to buy stuff for people. I mean it IS essentially an exchange of money, but if I did it year round, Id enjoy it just as much, but since everyone does it at one time a year, I dont mind joining in.

Scott W said:
The stuff I get for christmas isnt worthless, its almost always stuff I want/need, so sucks to be you. The only worthless crap I get is from the christians on my moms side of the family. I also give gifts because I want to, and who I want to, not to stay on good terms but because i actually do care about them.
If you need the stuff, how have you lived prior to each Christmas without it? If you want it, wouldn't it be more efficient to buy it for yourself, assuming that you'd save the money on gifts that you have to give?

How does buying material possessions for a person equate to an expression of caring about them? Isn't loving (or "caring", if you prefer) a day-in day-out affair, not a one-time gesture, and related to a relationship (which by definition, exists as words/actions towards each other, and doesn't exist in the physical), thus making your "gesture" absolutely meaningless?

Im all for xmas, not for any religious meaning since Im an atheist, its just a chance for me to buy stuff for people.
The way that's phrased, it sounds like Christmas helps you justify your ego...

Cynical said:
If you need the stuff, how have you lived prior to each Christmas without it? If you want it, wouldn't it be more efficient to buy it for yourself, assuming that you'd save the money on gifts that you have to give?

How does buying material possessions for a person equate to an expression of caring about them? Isn't loving (or "caring", if you prefer) a day-in day-out affair, not a one-time gesture, and related to a relationship (which by definition, exists as words/actions towards each other, and doesn't exist in the physical), thus making your "gesture" absolutely meaningless?

ALthough I agree with you in philosophical spirit, I think most have accepted getting something on Christmas a basic social fact that has somehow been transformed into an expression of ones feelings of love or friendship towards another. Why is this the case? I havent the foggiest; i am more of a introvert most likely as you are Cynical.

I also only ask for, and give things people want for Christmas. If I dont know what said person wants, they get some form of alcohol--which is the one thing I know alot about.

Cynical said:

Wow, I cant imagine anyone getting it entirely wrong more than you did. congrats. First off, something I need doesnt necessarily mean like air or water. It could be something I will have to buy eventually, and someone else buys it for me. I dont wait for xmas to get all the stuff I needed for the year, sometimes it just happens to work out nicely. For an example, a few christmases back, I needed new shoes, and I was planning on buying some, but instead, my parents bought a nice pair I wanted for me. So I was not only able to live prior to christmas, but I would have had to buy it myself eventually. And as I said originally, it ISNT more efficient to buy it for myself if I get a gift worth X dollars and I give a gift worth X dollars. As I said, its essentially an exchange of money.

Also anyone who knows me knows that I am an extremely loving and caring person year round. Xmas or not I care very deeply about my friends, and I often give people gifts for no reason. Christmas isnt a way for me to express emotions through material possessions. Maybe it is for you, but not for me. The gesture is only meaningless to people who dont want it.

Also, the ego remark is so ridiculous I wont even bother responding to it. Grow up.

Errm... if you give a gift worth x dollars and get a gift worth x dollars, you still come out behind, because it's as if you paid x dollars plus gift wrap for what you got. It's not that hard to figure out.

If you can only express your "loving and caringness" through giving gifts (or if it's even an issue in your relationships), those relationships are fairly worthless, since they're apparently based (to some extent) on the foundation of physical goods. If that's the only way you have to "care" about someone, you're doing pretty badly.

Cynical said:
Errm... if you give a gift worth x dollars and get a gift worth x dollars, you still come out behind, because it's as if you paid x dollars plus gift wrap for what you got. It's not that hard to figure out.

If you can only express your "loving and caringness" through giving gifts (or if it's even an issue in your relationships), those relationships are fairly worthless, since they're apparently based (to some extent) on the foundation of physical goods. If that's the only way you have to "care" about someone, you're doing pretty badly.
I dont often wrap, even if I did, what i spend on a roll of wrapping paper and tape is minimal spread out over many gifts. Do I need to help you calculate it?

Also, Ive stated already that I can express affection and love without gifts, Ill say it again though, as it didnt seem to sink in. I am very affectionate with my friends, and I often go out of my way to let them know how much I care and appreciate them. I can do it verbally, physically (in the case of my girlfriend), through gifts, and through actions. So needless to say, I dont use gifts as a way of expressing something I wouldnt otherwise express.