Band Quest

Despot

Admatha
Jul 17, 2001
NJ, USA
I have decided to start listening to some bands that I have not been listening to before. Rather than aimlessly searching the web for bands, I have decided to ask you people what bands in the genres of Gothic Metal, Black Metal, Melodic Death Metal, and regular Death Metal, I should check out..... I have recently added Nile to my "good bands" list, and I want more damn it!

I have listened to older type o negative and they were ok, but not that good. As long as it's crossovers between genres in metal, like for instance, a crossover between gothic and black metal I don't mind...and I don't want anything too progressive either. Thanks.

goth and dance hehe...So you like Gothic Dance.... I would actually like to hear that before I die, but I'm afraid it would kill me, so I'll wait a while....
Don't worry I'm just kidding...

The Crown (death), Morbid Angel (death), Deicide (death), In Flames (melodic death), Dissection (black), Dimmu Borgir (black), Hypocrisy (death), Cryptopsy (death), Dark Funeral (black), Unanimated (melodic death), Soilwork (melodic death), Entombed (death), Dismember (death), At The Gates (death), Death (death), Armageddon (melodic death), Arch Enemy (melodic death) etc.

Thanks svenske kocken, I have heard most of these bands, except for The Crown, Unanimated, Dismember and Armageddon. So I'll check them out.

I suggest:

° Finntroll - folk/black metal with some polka
° Hollenthon - death/black/folk/classic metal
° Diablerie - elektro/black metal
° Vader - death metal
° Ancient Rites - black metal
I suggest "Fatherland" and "Dim Carcosa"
° Deinonychus - black/doom metal "Deinonychus"
° Bethlehem - "S.U.I.Z.I.D." dark metal with hysterical vocals

and if your interested in doom metal:

° Evoken
° Skepticism
° Esoteric
° Shape of Despair
° Dolorian

If you get a chance ... and haven't heard them before ... check out "Throes of Dawn" ... the album "Binding of the Spirit" ... almost Opeth like in the way they blend some acoustics with death metal ... or perhaps more doom metal ... still ... good band. Listen to the song "The Hermit" forst off .. it'll give you a good indication of what they're like.

Hmmm, I see a band plug coming on......

Solace Denied - a cross between good old fashioned Metal (Maiden style) and Black Metal with a bit of Melodic Death thrown in for good measure

Check out the MP3s on the site below....

CCCCRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPTOOOOOOOPSSYYYYYYYYYYY
ok seriously

Strapping Young Lad (industrial metal but really near death metal)
Devin Townsend (guy from band above under his own name)
Quo Vadis (melodic death)
Kralizec (melodic death)
Frozen Shadows (old black metal)
Misanthrope (black)

You may want to check out a band called Thine. I've only heard one song by them so far, "In Therapy", but it's quite good and if it's an indictation of their other stuff, then they are quite good. You can get a full MP3 of that song on their website, www.thine-online.com. I'm hoping I'll be able to check out some of their other stuff. Funnily enough, the best way I can describe them is as a mixture of Katatonia and The Smiths (I like both). They have one album released, but if you live in the U.S., you can only get it on import.