Death/Black bands

As I've said many times (in like the last couple weeks!!), the people the band thank in the booklets who they toured with were obviously an influence on the band. Cannibal Corpse is a Death Metal band. Opeth sounded nothing like CC on the first 2 albums. Morbid Angel are a DM band, and a HUGE influence on Opeth, but do you hear lots of MA style riffs in these albums? No, they didn't add that in until later.

The point is, its a lot easier to compare the atmosphere and themes of Opeth's earlier works with BM than DM, and it generally seems to remind people of the genre a lot, especially in comparison to their later works.

Whether their riffing or drumming sounds like BM DM AIDS whatever, it is the closest they have come to the icy atmosphere and painful lyrics/vocals of BM, and this is hugely I assume to do with other bands that they toured with at the time and drew them away from the DM scene for a while (I guess Still Life is the start of the more DM style Opeth, some may say MA,YH is the crossover...) but yeah.

People say it a lot on this board, and its not at all shocking or surprizing any more, and I am fed up of repeatedly saying it. IF you have to say Opeth have experimented with BM sounds it makes sense that it would be in the early days when those people had a huge influence on the band, and when their production even gave them a more BM style. (compared to their other albums.)

vampyrouss said:
As I've said many times (in like the last couple weeks!!), the people the band thank in the booklets who they toured with were obviously an influence on the band. Cannibal Corpse is a Death Metal band. Opeth sounded nothing like CC on the first 2 albums. Morbid Angel are a DM band, and a HUGE influence on Opeth, but do you hear lots of MA style riffs in these albums? No, they didn't add that in until later.

The point is, its a lot easier to compare the atmosphere and themes of Opeth's earlier works with BM than DM, and it generally seems to remind people of the genre a lot, especially in comparison to their later works.

Whether their riffing or drumming sounds like BM DM AIDS whatever, it is the closest they have come to the icy atmosphere and painful lyrics/vocals of BM, and this is hugely I assume to do with other bands that they toured with at the time and drew them away from the DM scene for a while (I guess Still Life is the start of the more DM style Opeth, some may say MA,YH is the crossover...) but yeah.

People say it a lot on this board, and its not at all shocking or surprizing any more, and I am fed up of repeatedly saying it. IF you have to say Opeth have experimented with BM sounds it makes sense that it would be in the early days when those people had a huge influence on the band, and when their production even gave them a more BM style. (compared to their other albums.)

yea...IF you HAD to say black metal had an influence on the band. but i see NO reason to HAVE to say that in the first place, as theres not really any grounds for it. Instead, early opeth material is akin to bands like dissection, mefisto, katatonia and at the gates in style...and im sure bands like darkthrone and emperor were an "influence"...but to say that opeths early material has black metal elements in it is really silly and obviously coming from a place of ignorance.

Mumblefood said:
At The Gates?

yeup. not slaughter of the soul or even terminal spirit disease so much obviously. but theyve often sighted them as a direct influence from that scene and sound at the time, and it can be heard in a lot of the harmonies and riffs on those first 2 records as well. but thanks for asking sweet pants.

Do you think in all honesty if the band recorded that album instead of Blackwater Park or even Still Life they would have made it sound like that? Honestly? The riffs are pretty irrelevant to a non-musician, I am sure people mean the lo-fi production, angst-ridden screams and general atmospheric ambience when they mean bm, and that is something they shed early on for a more dm sound, which is what the guy was probably trying to say, which we all understood within a second whether we agree (or care) or not!

As even you said, if you HAVE to choose the most bm Opeth album(s) at gunpoint or something you would choose one of them, its obvious, so it doesn't really come as such a suprize that someone who isn't quite as in the know, or frankly didn't have the time to explain Opeth's entire dynamic throughout their first 2 albums in their post shortens it down to "...bm..." instead for ease and under the assumption everyone will get what they meant anyway and won't dispute it just for the sake of arguing or belittling someones opinion...

All in all, you are right, Opeth has very little bm influence if at all, great.
But we all still knew what the guy was saying, it wasn't like he said he always thought morningrise reminded him of hip hop or something totally unrelated and irrelevant.

I'd have to say that some of the vocals on Morningrise are more bm than dm. That's really the only point of comparison that I see. Is there something else you hear, Vampyrouss? I mean, aside from evil forests?

Not really. But I don't hear much dm either too be honest. I just hear one of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands :headbang:

yah, i'd say that orchid and morningrise had more of a black metal vibe going on. i mean...if you were forced to choose between black metal and death metal.

metal_wrath said:
What do you guys think about Death+Black metal bands. I have heard alot about early Opeth stuff having a black metal sound. I have been listening to Dissection who are a Death/Black metal band, good stuff. What other bands fit in this genre and what would you recommend?

I'm a fan of Borknagar, but I'm not really sure if they fit into the BM category...all I know is Vintersorg has an amazing voice.

my favorite death+black albums have got to be zyklon - aeon and behemoth - thelema 6.

what is wrong you with ignorant tard-babies? if you had to choose between black or death in opeth's early sound as a genre tag youd choose black?!?! you people NEED to get your ears checked. they sounded like every swedish death metal band at the time, and his vocals were definitely death metal still, this doesnt change because they werent quite as gutteral or deep as they are now. seriously people, get a clue.

NineFeetUnderground said:
what is wrong you with ignorant tard-babies? if you had to choose between black or death in opeth's early sound as a genre tag youd choose black?!?! you people NEED to get your ears checked. they sounded like every swedish death metal band at the time, and his vocals were definitely death metal still, this doesnt change because they werent quite as gutteral or deep as they are now. seriously people, get a clue.

I think its more the themes as already stated.
Deliverance = very death metal
Morningrise = very introspective, poetic, dark

Someone started a thread saying "could Opeth be considered goth" or something along those lines, dunno if you read it. We came to the conclusion that no, they are quite obviously not a "goth" band, but their music, especially the older stuff may appeal to people who label themselves "goth" and I think this goes with BM fans too. Bands are only labelled by their fans anyway, and if the music appeals to BM fans then they will try to claim it as their own (see DM and prog :rolleyes: and yes, even goth apparantly...)

What makes a band BM? The age old argument... the truth is, if enough fans call Opeth death-ballet-rap they will go down as the greatest death-ballet-rap band ever. Thats how it works, CoF will go down as the number one BM band with Dimmu Borgir fighting at number 2, and although that may seem laughworthy its true, because its what the ignorant minority say that counts for anything, and so it doesn't matter what is technically right in the end.

Its already been established that you are right, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of people in the world aren't as choosy about genres and don't care much either way. If it reminds them of a BM song, band, theme, poster, lunchbox, whatever, thats what it reminds them of. Does it really matter all that much?

NineFeetUnderground said:
Your quite arrogant.