Bands for grown-ups, bands for kids

For me the most mature bands Ive listened to are Iron Maiden, Faith No More and Pantera. Iron Maiden have proven this especially on their last three albums, which I consider as the best heavy metal records ever made. Faith No More dont need any further comments, King For A Day... is a festival of maturity. Some might say that Pantera was far from being a mature band, but Id disagree. Anselmos lyrics addressed many different topics in many different ways/styles, the music was excellent. Far Beyond Driven is also a feast for me.

As for bands for kids, I dont think hyena had in mind bands like Fall Out Boy, but rather the bands one listens to in teen age (good bands mind you), which lose their attractiveness once the person grows up. I think The Offspring is such a band for me. I liked them a lot, and still think their first 4 albums are very good, but I havent listened to them for ages.
Alot of bands lost their luster for me after my teenage years. Few would be Pearl Jam,Dave Matthews Band,Sublime. All of which I used to love when I was younger. As far as metal, Id say Metallica and Danzig.

I don't think she meant there's something wrong with kids' music: after all we know how much she likes Manowar. ;)

Exactly! And I like a lot of childish punk rock too. There's also nothing wrong IMO with listening to music for mere entertainment, etc; hey, I occasionally listen to techno, it's not as I can lecture anyone on very high-brow music.

On the other hand, I was just noticing that some bands appear pretty superficial in their approach towards the world, and as one grows up the superficiality becomes apparent. I'm not saying that such bands have bad lyrics: on the contrary, frequently they have very good ones, only they maybe discuss something generic. Take typical punk rock themes: deploration of economic inequality, defiance toward authority, revolution, individualism, and partying. Or Oi! themes: working class pride, football, beer, friendship, and skinhead style. Power metal: fire, steel and all that jazz. Each of these themes (yes, even fire and steel!) can be presented in a meaningful and inspiring way, but it's never too complex, it's never too structured, and you normally know what's coming next with very little probability of being wrong. This is what I meant by "kid's stuff" - simplistic and predictable, not necessarily stupid.

I think that rahvin's example re New Model Army as a band for grown-ups was really appropriate - here you have a band which does express a message that has not really been heard before, although themes such as the ones I mentioned above are touched upon. I completely agree with Marduk about King for a Day, which is nothing short of amazing in this department.

well the ultimative band for not grown ups but for those who wanna stay young(er) in their inner self, I would say The Ramones. you can be old and bald but also a teenager and The Ramones`music will touch you in a certain way.
Most Punk or Harcore bands have a huge younger community, but I think it has to do with the power and feelings they create and when youre young you have a lot of anger and fear in you and search a way to release it.

as for a an adult band I just think about pink floyd.

For kiddos:
Rammstein
Lullacry
Cradle of Filth
To / Die / For

For adults:
The Tiger Lillies
16 Horsepower
Coil
Elend
Laibach
Lake of Tears
Moonspell
Nick Cave
Neurosis
Pimentola
Tom Waits
Ulver
Radiohead
Shinjuku Thief
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

I guess most metal bands fall in an "in between" territory. Neither too profound nor too childish at all, and have appeal for fans of all ages.

Interesting thread...
Kiddie bands: Fall Out Boy, My Chem.Romance,Offspring,System of A Down, Slipknot,Korn,SKA music and all Pop Punk

Grown Up bands(now this is little harder)
definitely Katatonia,Porcupine Tree, Joe Satriani and most virtuosos, Devin Townsend Band, King Crimson, Blackfield,Down,Allman Brothers
What is grown-up about Joe Satriani?

I'd go for kid_metal most of powermetal stuff, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius some others come in mind...I think rythm_wise and lyric_wise(?) there's lots to get hooked by youngsters.

Now for adult-sort-of-ehmmm-yeah I'd go for Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, and I'm going to go the extra mile and state Opeth here...also the new Placebo stuff.

I'd create a new term, for nuts-of-all-ages bands, much like the master Weird All Yankovic.

fathervic (who thinks some might be wandering "is that him?")

PD: probably, I'm not!!!

Two bands that immediately come to mind when it comes to kid music:

Linkin Park
Limp Bizkit

Two bands that immediately come to mind when it comes to adult music:

Opeth
Radiohead

For me, nothing beats Cats on Mars by Yoko Kanno or Shishido Rumi's Fushigi Purupuru Pururin Rin! in the category of kiddiness. I'd throw in a few BGMs from various games in that section too, most notably that from Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave Story).

As for mature sounds, DT is the most I've ever gotten. Since I'm a happy-go-lucky guy I've always failed to appreciate emotional poetry.

Actually my opinion is not directly linked to how Radiohead sounds, or their lyrics. It's just the attitudes of people who listen to Radiohead, I am aware that judging a band by its fans is quite a retarded thing to do, however, as their sound has not impressed me at all since before Hail to the Thief, and it failed to catch me after (and including) Kid A, I can live with that.

Their best album is Pablo Honey in my opinion, so I guess you know where I'm going with that - I like it more when bands spend more time playing with their instruments than with synths and production equipment (or at least when their music gives me that impression).

I'd say I'm more fond of ther earlier progressive alternative rock than of their subsequent more atmospheric, electronic work, perhaps with the exception of Idioteque.

Well, all of that doesn't matter anyhow, I can't hold an informed opinion on Radiohead because I simply haven't listened to their music enough, and I don't feel like doing it either.