Bands of the moment

Ultima Ibanez Overlord

-=The Dude Abides=-
Mar 17, 2002
999 letsby avenue
www.mp3.com
What are your top 3 bands of the moment, and why?
I think we should go with 3 because otherwise people put too many bands for others to bother to read, and 3 is reasonable number to list.

1. Dream Theater; a permanent resident of the number one spot for a loooooooong time, you just can't tire of their stuff. I'm always 'revisiting' at least one cd/dvd at any one time.

2. Planet X; I got into Derek's solo album a while back and loosely followed what he's been doing since then. Planet X is amazingly sick prog/fusion. I just got Moonbabies, and, even though I prefer Universe, it is simply astounding.

3. Power of Omens; since hearing the mp3's a couple of weeks ago, I can't stop listening. Like nearly everyone else here, I can't wait to get the CD! Probably, this band is closest to the kind of music I'd love to be able to create; sick complex composition with ace musicianship.

Three is, indeed, a pretty reasonable number. And since I've really only been listening to three albums lately -- all filling various needs, and not counting some random MP3s here and/or there -- it's even more reasonable for me. In alphabetical order:

1. Agalloch / The Mantle:
What can I say? If there's been an album released this year that better reflects the rapidly-approaching autumn season, I haven't heard it yet. Agalloch's work here feels an awful lot like autumn leaves drifting through a grey November sky. I also add that -- with the advent of this semester's classes at the end of August -- I haven't had time to sit down and really listen to this album. But it does make for exceptional background music, if nothing else.

2. Aimee Mann / Lost in Space:
Indisputably on my year's best-of list. I've said it before in other places, and I'll repeat myself again here: this is everything a great pop record should be -- bittersweet, sad, insanely tuneful, and obsessive in all the right ways. There's almost something sexual about the way Mann's airy voice rubs up against her languid, laid-back sonic tales of addiction, obsession, and cynicism. Comes very, very highly recommended from me.

3. Stone Sour / Stone Sour:
Another out-of-left-field choice, I'm sure. Yeah, this band does feature Slipknot's Corey Taylor and Jim Root, which means they're nu-metallic. Sincere nu-metal, to be honest; in a genre populated entirely by angry young men, Taylor is the angriest, and -- on this record -- actually the easiest to believe in. It ain't all great, and Taylor's clean voice sometimes lacks the necessary punch to get the point across -- c.f.: "Orchids," where I actually wish he'd opted to do more screaming -- but it doesn't ever come close to sucking, either. Not if you're into this style, anyway, and on occasion I've been known to be.

Anyway, I think I've probably just sparked enough controversy with the albums chosen for this one small post to give this board something to talk about for months to come... so I'll just step back into the shadows and see what develops. :D

--Brian

1. Of Course the amazing Power of Omens. Since the first day I heard Power of Omens, I couldn't stop listening to them. Hearing Alex Arellano's chaotic drumming is what pulled me into the band the most. It's amazing to hear such chaotic drumming, but still feel that the song is soothing, mostly in part to Chris Salinases amazing voice. In my opinion, I believe that Alex and Chris S. are the best at what they do. The other members: Chris H. and David and Andrew are also amazing. But I may be a little biased; all of these Latin last names really caught my eyes, cause i'm latin too. but latin last names or not, these guys are freagin' amazing.

2. second will have to be Dream Theater. If it wasn't for them, I would never have been interested in progressive or technical metal. Mike Portnoy is of course amazing, (but not as amazing as Alex in my opinion.)

3. third will have to be Spiral Architect, These guys are just chaotic, sometimes too chaotic. Their skills are amazing and most of their songs are amazing also (but sometimes their songs could sound like the next one, but I'm not complaining that much lol). Asgeir Mickelson is amazing behind the set.

1. Power of Omens. Why? Because they'd kick my ass if I didn't list them first.

HAHAHA Just kidding!!!

Well..they probably *would* kick my ass, but that's not why they're #1 on my list. I can still remember the first PofO I heard..it was in late 1997 & Dave sent me wavs of clips from a couple of their songs, and this was demo stuff, before they'd even signed with Elevate. I was immediately hooked..something about all the parts of the band coming together with the style of music just did it for me, and has continued to do so ever since. I can say that Test of Wills is my favorite song EVER; I've listened to it at least a couple of times a week for 4+ years & have yet to get tired of it. I'm always going to LOVE this band. :)

2. Okay as far as new stuff that's got me hooked, I'd have to put Shaman here. I just got the cd Ritual, & oh man! Awesome stuff! I've been an Angra fan for some time now, & was so bummed when they splintered apart, because I just adore Andre's voice; but Shaman is similar enough to Angra (mostly thanks to Andre) without being the same that I just adore it!

3. I go on kicks where I'll be totally addicted to a band..I'll listen to their cds all the time every day for weeks, & this usually lasts a couple of months until the addiction turns to another band. For example, JaxAddiction bands include Freak Kitchen, Elvenking, & Edguy. The current JaxAddiction band is Sonata Arctica..and this addiction phase has lasted for months now. I love the musicianship of these guys, it's speedy & powerful yet melodic at the same time, it's not redundant galloping drums that put you to sleep after a while.. & Tony's voice is just kickass (I love his accent..hehe). I have to say that I get a kick out of some of their lyrics..it's cute what Europeans will do with English sometimes, whether purposely or not.

Okay so now you see why I'm not a reviewer..I don't analyze why I like something, I just like it & that's enough for me, so sorry if my descriptions were kinda lame. :p

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
I go on kicks where I'll be totally addicted to a band..

Tony's voice is just kickass (I love his accent..hehe). I have to say that I get a kick out of some of their lyrics..it's cute what Europeans will do with English sometimes, whether purposely or not.
no apologies necessary!

my wife and both also dig Tony vox...its interesting some of his lyrics phrases make perfect sense, but through the translation is coming from like 20 degrees off center from what we're used to in the states, and he's very expressive, especially in the ballads, you believe that he believes what he's singing, very much like Khan from Kamelot.

Well let's see here, for me, I would have to say:

Evergrey - Musically, this band, I feel is pure genius. I love their writing, I love their playing, and Tom's voice is so emotional, that I can't help but to listen over and over again. These guys really know how to write songs, and I really love it when they incorporate the "choir" styled vocals...to me that just blows me away (much like Therion...I love that kind of writing).

Symphony X - What can I say...Michael Romeo...one of the best musicians/guitarists to ever walk the earth. I never grow tired of listening to his playing. His soloing is amazing, but what draws me in more than anything else is his songwriting abilities, and his overall playing. Along with Russ, who is another incredible vocalist...soulful and downright emotional, they help to bing the songs alive. Everyone in the band is an amazing musician, but those are the two who have got me hooked.

OK, if I had to pick another prog band I would have to say Zero Hour...these guys are simply amazing. I totally love everything these guys do. Everyone in the band simply shines throught their performances in their music.
BUT...overall, I would have to say...Jesse Cook, his playig is so emotionally charged, I can't help but to be drawn to his playing. Flamenco has been a big part of me and my playing for many years, and to hear Jesse play, I can only describe as the light that leads me home. Never in my life, has a guitarist made me look deep into my soul, helping me to understand the meanings of life, love, and emotion.
His playing reaches a part of me, that I never knew existed... a part of me that breathes passion for music.

~D

Sinergy......I've just recently discovered this band. I don't know why I'v always overlooked them in the past. But I'm becoming a big fan. I really like the vocals and guitar.

Evergrey......I love the vocals (Tom's and Carina's). I love the music. I love the lyrics. I just love it all! LOL Evergrey is giving my favorite band, Zero Hour, a run their money lately. :)

Zero Hour....I can't even describe why I love these guys so much. I eagerly await their next release!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Thanks to FataMorgana who sent me the link to Zero Hour's site. I checked out a few of their clips but they made my computer go nuts.
From what I heard, though, they sound really great. The vocals are fantastic, and the playing sounded really tight. Shame I didn't get to hear any lead playing.
Perhaps I'll invest in a CD!

1) Nevermore
Heavy fucking METAL. Intelligent lyrics, although I don't agree with most of them, and POWER baby. The riffs are incredible :headbang:

2) Symphony X
What can I say? Masters of metal...

3) Zero Hour
That's right!!! :cool: Complex heavy riffs and almost no leads but what quality they posses. I am looking forward to the new album.

-----------------------------------

Runners up:

Arch Enemy
Children Of Bodom
Power Of Omens
Gordian Knot
Spock's Beard [Snow is fantastic!]

1. Symphony X !!!!!!!!!!!!!
- They just rule the world... I can wait that new album!

2. Shadow Gallery
- Everything is just great for they stuff

3. Hmm... Hard decision Power of Omens and Dream Theater both are very good, but I choose Dream Theater, I dont really like PoO's vocals but DT's vocals are just great...

1. Iron Maiden
-Umm... Because I've liked them since I started to listen metal. Once you have heard it, you can't stop listening to it.

2. Iced Earth
- like Iron Maiden, but with heavier guitars which sounds awesome, rivals with Maiden.

3. Sonata Arctica
- fast, melodic. Perfect example for explaining the style of power metal.

1. Iron Maiden: I now know that no matter how old I get or how long I listen to this band, they will always be my number 1! Explanation? Well, I don't really have one! It's just magic to me.

2. Nevermore: haha, even though Warrel's lyrics are a little objectionable sometimes, that's what I LIKE! I like to be challenged in some places (WD's take on drugs and how great they are) and mystified in others (The Sorrowed Man - oh my GOD!) and led by the scruff of my neck in still others (all of Dead Heart...) Van's my favorite drummer right now and everything about their music screams talent!

3. My favorite band out of Scandinavia is definitely Nocturnal Rites. They are so old school but so fresh it's just nuts! I have this thing (I know you ALL can appreciate this!) where I daydream and hope and pray all day that one day America will listen to music with their ears and hearts instead of the assholes with money coming in and watching with $$ in their eyes! Such a shame...thus I strive to tell people about all the underground American music and bands I know kick ass. I decided years ago that this is my music; I'm not a musician so my role in life now is to fight the Antichrist: Carson Daly.

Much props to Sym X: in my CD player right now - the 3 Michaels rule!, Evergrey, Therion, Iced Earth, of course Sinergy, and P of O! I can't wait for P of O to take the world by storm! I love death and thrash, too, I can't leave that bunch of psychos out!

1. Andromeda... 1st version of their 1st album, still searching (unsuccessful) for a second with 2 bonus track...
guys are simply awesome!

2. Threshold - Critical Mass.. one of the best albums which i get this year. great

3. well, there is no third one ATM... maybe p of o, maybe dt, maybe queensryche, maybe sonata, etc... hm :D