Bands who surprised you (in a good way)

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I'm sure I'm gonna get flak for this, but my choice so far this year would be Mastodon's new one.

I've never been a fan of them, even going so far as to dislike their music aside from one or two songs, but this new album just will not get out of my head.

"Oblivion" is one of the coolest songs I've heard in a long, long time. It's not on steady play all day, every day, but I find myself singing it in my head all day. I put on another cd and I end up going back to this one.

It's been a while since I've had a band really sink its teeth into me, especially one that I had all but written off. However, even when I didn't care for their music, I knew they'd be around for a while and I was glad because of it. They inject something completely unique into a genre quickly becoming stale.

Heh, you won't get flak, there was a thread where everyone was masturbating over Crack the Skye. My surprise this year is the new God Dethroned. A band that never really impressed me much, but this album rocks cock.

Heh, you won't get flak, there was a thread where everyone was masturbating over Crack the Skye. My surprise this year is the new God Dethroned. A band that never really impressed me much, but this album rocks cock.

Oooohh God Dethroned...forgot about that one. I've really gotta check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed Lair of the White Worm but the following one not so much.

It's true that they have a kind of "death metal by the numbers" direction, so I'm really curious about the new one, especially since you mentioned something about good clean vocals, I believe?

Oooohh God Dethroned...forgot about that one. I've really gotta check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed Lair of the White Worm but the following one not so much.

It's true that they have a kind of "death metal by the numbers" direction, so I'm really curious about the new one, especially since you mentioned something about good clean vocals, I believe?

Yeah, theres only two spots on the whole album with cleans, and they're well done. The album is ballsy. Sounds like a sped up Bolt Thrower with a bit more melody and tons o' blastbeats.

Nah it just reminds me of being a teenager and hangin' out with all my hillbilly friends partying at bonfires in the woods when they always blasted it from their Ford Broncos and Jeep Cherokees.

Moonbaby!!! \m/

They were opening for Metallica several years ago in March, I got the drummers water bottle but then I wasn't paying attention and I threw it away. I wanted it autographed, and possibly deep-throated.

Kevin - what about the one awkward guy that shows up in a Beamer? There's always gotta be one of those.

The surprise for me was Gord Bamford. I was channel surfing on the radio and hit a country station and heard the song "Stayed Til Two" and almost pissed myself laughing. Whether or not you like country, the song is genious "i went in for one, but I stayed till two". Classic.

That and the new Lamb of God. I was kinda growing out of them, but Wrath has some new shit behind it that just ripped out my balls. Loved it!

Kevin - what about the one awkward guy that shows up in a Beamer? There's always gotta be one of those.
Nah, all my friends that had Beamers knew they couldn't get them back in the woods where we went to party, so they came with the rest of us instead :D

I'm sure I'm gonna get flak for this, but my choice so far this year would be Mastodon's new one.

I've never been a fan of them, even going so far as to dislike their music aside from one or two songs, but this new album just will not get out of my head.

"Oblivion" is one of the coolest songs I've heard in a long, long time. It's not on steady play all day, every day, but I find myself singing it in my head all day. I put on another cd and I end up going back to this one.

It's been a while since I've had a band really sink its teeth into me, especially one that I had all but written off. However, even when I didn't care for their music, I knew they'd be around for a while and I was glad because of it. They inject something completely unique into a genre quickly becoming stale.

Sounds like something I could have written myself - 100% agreed !!!!

Interesting to hear from a guy who used to give them some flak a short-while ago. ;)

The new Pestilence tracks (the ones on myspce, haven't heard the album yet) were quite a surprise to me, considering how Mameli is a two-tongued hypocrite....