Bands You've Come To Like After Seeing Them Live

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
Similar to the other thread... What bands have you not really liked until you've seen them live?

Opeth - wasn't really a fan of them until I saw them in Cincinnati. Turns out they put out brilliant music and put on one hell of a show.

Leaves' Eyes. Back when i used to be a internet radio dj for a small irc group (we used to be a big part in bringing live commentary to tfc 5v5 matches) i'd hear other djs play this band and I'd just wouldn't be into them. When they played at ProgPower, I came in expecting an evanesance-esque performance... when the vocalist blew me away. She was amazing.. which is what i got to tell her at the signing table.

Fates Warning - I had liked some of the songs, but I always hated the production on the albums so i never really got into them a lot. They were fantastic and sounded amazing at ProgPower.

Crimson Glory - I've liked some songs but I just wasn't really into them. But then when they performed live I became a huge fan and even more so of falsetto vocals.

There is a local band that I adore called Eternal Winter. They're the cheesiest of the cheesy power metal bands, and when they come out in their skin-tight leather pants and jackets, I know I've hit the jackpot. Songs about dragons, unicorns, and elves abound. It's a magical night, when they come out to play.

Oh, and Holy Grail. Their lead guitarist nearly had me trampled when he stage dove into the crowd, last month, but I genuinely enjoyed their performance.

HammerFall: I didn't expect to last very long during their set at ProgPower due to the cheese factor, but I wound up loving it enough that I now own a DVD and best-of. :p

Sonata Arctica: I never got on with Tony's voice until I saw them open for Nightwish. Now I really appreciate it.

Moonsorrow: I had heard one song of theirs before seeing them at Paganfest II. They won me over COMPLETELY.

Thunderstone! They weren't even on my radar until I saw them at ProgPower. After that, and after buying Tools of Destruction and REALLY listening to it, I became hooked. "Stratovarius clone" my ass! :)

There are others out there whose live show has altered my opinion of them for the better, but Thunderstone is probably the most dramatic.

Primal fear - After the Metal Gods tour they really blew me away and became a fan right after.

Macabre - after seeing them at the Milwaukee Metalfest in 2002 I went and bought almost everything by them.

Rarely does a live show from a previously unheard band make me a fan, but it has happened a few times. Normally, the cd's make me a fan and the live shows come after. Here's two though.
Cage at the first Nightmare Metal Fest. Loved them and bought all their stuff off the merch guy. Big fan now.
Nachtmystium. Totally unknown for me, but blew me away. Absolutely incredible live.

And then it was Marillion in -84, but that is a story in itself... :lol:

I had heard several of Evergrey's albums but they never really clicked with me until the performance at ProgPower IV. It was like a religious experience. Been a HUGE fan ever since!!!!!

Nachtmystium. Totally unknown for me, but blew me away. Absolutely incredible live.

Glad to hear that. I really want to see them live.

Kataklysm for me. Also the hardcore band Lewd Acts converted me to their tunes after seeing their awesome show, too bad they broke up right after that though (no joke).

Manowar - Only had a couple old vinyls prior to seeing them live the first time. They played their set in chronological order (This was the LOUDER THAN HELL tour), and made me an instant fan for life.

Sigh - Had zero expectations as I am not really into BM at all, but they were amazing live.

A zillion more I am not even thinking of now.

Children of Bodom. Saw them with IE and Evergrey and I had heard their stuff before but it hadn't ever grabbed me until I saw them live. Now I'm a pretty big fan. Andromeda was kind of the same way. I liked them before I saw them, but after I saw them it was just a whole nother level of appreciation. Same thing for Spheric Universe Experience.

Testament - Saw them at a New Jersey Metalfest in 1999. The event was a disaster, but they were incredible. Also saw In Extremo at the same show and became an instant fan.

Leaves Eyes - Someone else already mentioned them. I was seriously impressed and purchased a CD at the show. A fan ever since.

Tyr - They opened for Korpiklaani at Jaxx about a year ago. I loved their sound as soon as I heard "Hold the Heathen Hammer High."

Division - They are local to the DC area and I have seen them at Jaxx a number of times. I became a big fan after seeing them for the first time sometime in the early 2000s.

Blackguard - I don't want to hear it from anyone! But I really liked them when I first saw them about a year ago. I bought both CDs at the concert and while I didn't really like the first CD, the second one is awesome. It gets a lot of playtime on my MP3 player when I'm at the gym.