Bass Processing

hah yeah someone left one of those at my studio... maybe it's an older one because it looks the same but it's called "You Dirty Rat."
Pretty crazy pedal, on that project we were just cranking it and getting crazy blown out destroyed sounds. I've never tried it in moderation...

Yeah, when I re-amped my bass parts through it I kept the drive at the position it's at in the pic (like 8:30) and even dropped the fader of the DI track a few dB's; not sure how the "You Dirty Rat" differs, but I'm pretty sure they are separate models (cuz the standard RAT has always been around, so I assume there was a point where they were both simultaneously available)

as far as i'm mostly learning from this thread, i know i can't contribute much to it, i kind'a take all of the tips and put them to practice with my ghetto bass simulation haha but works just as good, there should be sticky's like this for all the 'common' subjects. So thanks!

I promise I don't work for Tech 21, but ever since I got my Sansamp VT Bass pedal, my bass recording chain has been:

Bass>NS-2 Noise Suppressor> VT Bass Pedal>Interface>Reaper EQ.

Live my chain has been: Bass>Tuner>NS-2>VT Bass>Poweramp>Cab.

I'm not saying it's the best tone ever, but it's definitely the best tone I've ever had, and I'm more than happy with it.

I realize that someone is gonna ask for a clip, so lemme see what I can dig up.

Edit: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238743/mts%20bass%20clip.mp3

Can't really hear the bass too clearly in that clip dude, but seems to fit well - but man is it hard to tell with those bizarre sounding guitars o_O (sounds like weird phaseyness from poor multi-mic'ing or something, just very honky and yet kinda hollow and harsh)

No biggie, mang. The clip is from a demo, definitely not "Sneapster" quality, haha. Guitars are podfarm (Regrettably, but simplicity and time were factors) and I didn't really focus on the mix much as a whole, but for the bass I just plugged the pedal in and it was pretty much like "Well that beats any tone I've had before, BAM!" haha. I've tried all kinds of things with bass processing and so far this is the best and easiest tone I've ever achieved. Though I guess I might be a bit biased by the "easy" part haha.

I was working with a Metalcore (less of the core) band over a year ago, they're bassist had a 6 string Ibanez BTB tuned to drop B

We ran that in DI, i ran the DI through an ampsim on a nice clean setting which was only really to help add warmth and bring out the high mids

Before the Ampsim, i also ran the bass through a stero aux into a distortion plugin and hard panned the track so it had the main bass prescence down the middle and had a nice crushing tone down the sides which went well with the guitar tone