Be honest...Did you buy 'Load'?

Firehead

CrusaderOfTheDowntrodden
Jul 31, 2004
The darkest part of your soul.
So I was looking at the discography page of Metallica checking to see how many albums that they've sold and the chart positions of their releases. I saw that after the success of the black album, combined with the long wait afterwards of almost five years that 'Load' charted at #1 in ten countries in the world. The U.S. of course, along with all the major Euro countries and such. That obviously meant that there were large surges of people jumping all over that thing when it came out.

I was almost 21 when it came out and I had two friends that were around the same age as I was. We were all metalheads of similar, though not exact tastes. My friend Nick and I thought Metallica sold out on the black album (still do), where our other friend Bob thought they could do no wrong and bought all their stuff. Nick and I were more into the underground Metal listening and didn't feel the need to risk a wasted purchase on Metallica's new 'Creative Adventure':D...where Bob went and blind-bought 'Load' the opening week, becoming one of the contributors of the #1 chart position. I remember us going on a long drive and Bob saying he had only heard the radio single at the time (Until It Sleeps) without cracking open the cassette yet. Real anxious fan, huh?:confused:

We told Bob to throw it in the cassette player and we'd all listen to it firsthand.

Let's just say that Nick and I were happy in not purchasing...and Bob was not so happy.:Spin:

So I wanted to know, did you purchase 'Load', were you happy or not, and what do you think of now and then, stylistically?

Sure I bought Load on the day it was released.
It's not a terrible album... just need to accept the fact that Metallica was now a hard rock band and not a thrash metal band anymore. It's kind of a progression of how their sound was changing on the black album.

I stopped at AJFA. Didn't even bothered with the self titled one, much less with he subsequent crap, although I did got the covers album.

Although I don't think I've ever consciously played my Re-Load cd, I bought both that and Load on the first day of release. Load is a pretty good album. Doesn't deserve all the criticism it gets...

Aside from maybe two posts, a little more detail on ones opinion would be appreciated. Just that fact that you bought it doesn't exactly shed a whole light on what your thought of it is. The fact that it's been purchased is not really that illuminating, considering it's sold over 11 million copies.

I bout King Nothing on itunes. It is a great song.
I've heard some of the other songs from Load, but they weren't as good.
I am thinking about buying it, though.

Considering that the cd goes for $0.99 on ebay, we're not talking big financial commitment here...

If Load/Reload were given the "blind taste test" without the Metallica brand on it, I think they would be respected as a pair of very solid hard rock albums with a 70's throwback vibe.

Considering that the cd goes for $0.99 on ebay, we're not talking big financial commitment here...

If Load/Reload were given the "blind taste test" without the Metallica brand on it, I think they would be respected as a pair of very solid hard rock albums with a 70's throwback vibe.

pretty much my thoughts. good rock albums

The reverse if you ask me, without the Metallica brand they would be just another bunch of generic Metal Rock albums, lost to the 90's because Metallica fanwagoners wouldn't be desperately trying to justify their existence.

Reactions: The Butt
This debate has always been weird to me because I only like maybe 3 songs before the Black album, and I like almost everything on Black and several songs from Load and Reload. I don't listen to much Hard Rock but they seem like they would still be on a metal-leaning side of that genre.

I am the minority though and usually when I tell people I don't really like pre-Black Metallica people lose their minds. :lol:.

I don't like anything after Reload either though so I am sort of redeemed on that end.