Beer!!

ThraxDude

Feb 2, 2002
Does anyone here homebrew?
I keep thinking about it, but I haven't tried it yet. Heard it's easy.
A friend of mine makes beer, but it usually ends up flat.

I LOVE BEER.

I brew beer. I have been brewing since Halloween 1994. I've made som great beer and I've made crappy beer. If you want to get started, you can read a book online: How to Brew by John Palmer (http://www.howtobrew.com )

To get started, you can spend about $60 on equipment and about $25 per 5 gallon batch on ingredients.

I brewed a Brown Ale in February and a Stout in April.

Good luck.

A friend of mine has been brewing for a few years now. He sticks to Pilsners. Occassionally you get those flat batches, and sometimes you get those explosive batches. But they always kick your ass compared to "store bought" beer. Just takes a couple to get you buzzin' real good. *BURP*

You guys should all hook up with Zakk Wylde he's just hooked on the stuff as you probably all know! LOL.
I read in Metal Hammer how fucking obsessed this guy is with beer and just general alcohol for that matter! Oh yeah and he also homebrews and enjoys eating his wife's -----.

:lol:

Okay. My friend says, "I got a homebrew kit for Xmas a couple years ago that you can have."
So I go to his house to pick it up, and it's one of those little Fisher Price beer kits.
I will find a good kit this week, so help me God.
...I did use the Fisher Price homebrew kit yesterday. I'll let yous guys know how it is on Friday (that's right, only 5-6 days of fermentation!).

well since best beer comes from the country of mine, I don´t need to homebrew. Just come over to the closest pub and drink and drink! I am a crazy beer maniac!!! :) :)

To get started, get these items. (Some you may already own)
-Boiling pot 3 to 4 gallons
-long handled spoon
-can opener
-plastic fermenter with lid and airlock
-bottling bucket
-bottle filler wand
-racking cane or auto-sipon
-siphon hose
-bottle capper

ingredients for 1st batch
-54 clean empty brown pop top bottles (drink 2 1/2 cases of Sam Adams and clean em out immediately after drinking)
-54 crown bottle caps
-1 can of hopped extract (or kit approx 3 lbs)
-1 can of unhopped extract (approx 3lbs)
-1 packet of ale yeast
-5 oz of corn sugar to prime

The hopped extract can will say to add sugar. Use the unhopped extract instead. (Makes better beer)

1. Pour the 2 cans of extract into your pot, add water and boil. The house will smell like a brewery :cool:
2. Let it cool. Put some cold water into the fermenter. Pour the boiled stuff in. Add cold water to bring to 5 gallons. Stir. Put the lid on. Put liquid in the airlock and attach.
3. When the fermenter cools to about room temerature. Add the yeast and stir. Reattach lid and airlock.
4. Let ferment in 65 to 70 F (room temeprature) about a week) Watch airlock bubble. It smells nice. (yeast eats the sugar and produces C02 and beer flavors.)
5. After a week, siphon into bottling bucket. Then mix in corn sugar. Use bottle filler to fill bottles and then capper to cap. 5 gallons will be about 48 to 54 bottles.
6. Let sit about a week in room temperature. (yeast will eat the corn sugar and make it carbonated in the bottle)
7. Refrigerate then drink.
:D

Thra:rofl:ude, be careful...while it's true that it might only take 5-6 days to ferment (i.e. yeast attacks sugar and turns it into alcohol), you'll then need to add the carbonizing agent (usually a form of baking soda if memory recalls), fill your bottles and cap 'em. THEN they sit for 3-6 weeks, depending on the type of brew you're making. It will take a few times to get it right. The first time I tried an amber ale, it kicked ass and got me & me mates all kinds of silly. The next time...oooof, not so good.

Be patient with it, and have fun! Hope you don't live w/ a wife/fiancee/girlfriend...the cooking part will stink up your house to high heaven for about 3 days! Let us know how it goes!

Originally posted by markgugs
you'll then need to add the carbonizing agent (usually a form of baking soda if memory recalls), fill your bottles and cap 'em. THEN they sit for 3-6 weeks, depending on the type of brew you're making.

Actually, the corn sugar is for the carbonation in the bottle (it's called bottle conditioning). It takes about a week. I usually wait two to be sure. Your beer depending on style may mature and taste better after a month.

I love this hobby because:
1. It's beer.
2. It's science.
3. You can have very little skill/knowledge/equipment and still produce a quality product and there is still room to improve.

Holy shit!!!

Some years ago in the fog of my youth a friend and I tried our hand at home brewing.

The result was "MT Beer" (the initials of our first names, Marv and Tim).

It's logo was a skull and it's slogan was, "If it's an MT it's empty."

I think we managed to drink one whole bottle. The stuff was pretty strong and loaded with sediment!! We could hardly wait for the damned stuff to ferment, and we only waited the minimum time. What can I say, I was 19 at the time.....ah the good ol' days....1989!

One time we left a bottle out on the kitchen table....and the sun did it's work. Not only did the cap rip off, it took the whole neck of the bottle and left a nice impression in the ceiling.

I do believe that mark is still in his kitchen, 13 years later. His mom always said she was going to save it for when we became brewing giants...maybe the Smithsonian would want the first evidence of MT beer. But, sad to say, our first foray into brewing was our last. Although after reading this post it rekindles the desire in me to try again.....

If not maybe I'll just go chug a Blatz or two or three....

Thanks again, dudes!
I know where to come if I have any questions.
The cheap brew kit I have is plastic, it has a place for a CO2 cartridge, but it sure as hell won't hold 5 gallons of beer....

I printed out some of that online book, Fat Drunk and Stupid. I think I'll start with the Cincinnati Pale Ale...
I hope to pick up a good kit this week.
I'll let you dudes know what happens.

I just opened the bottling package that came with the Fisher Price brew kit. I discovered that there is an adaptor for the spigot so I can attach the tube to it for filling bottles. (NOW they tell me.)
So now I guess I have to fill the bottles straight from the spigot, exposing the beer to air.
Fuck.
Oh well. This was just a practice run. And it was free.

I got a real homebrew kit 2 days ago. Yesterday I brewed an amber ale. It started fermenting during the night.
I've read 3 different instructions about brewing beer. They all said that sanitation is the most important part.

I just tried the "Beer Machine"/Fisher Price beer. It is horrible.:(
It just went wrong...