Before or After?

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
Now that Opeth growing a bigger fan bass and almost touring more than In Flames , I have a question to ask you .

For the people who followed Opeth for a while now , did you enjoy Opeth when they weren't so well known or nowadays when you can't get a Opeth album because there gone off the shelfs the first day (well the first week)

Originally posted by Jo
Doesn't change a thing for me?

wait, are you saying it does not change a thing for you or asking someone else?

For me, as long as the music stays the same, I am happy...if at some point it changes because of it, or if they give up because of it, I will hate it...and many bands have done this, so for the most part I do not want a band I love to get big.

I hate when people talk shit about bands because they sell well....I really whish Opeth would sell well because they deserve it. I don't think we have to worry about any of the bands in extreme metal scene becoming superstars and teen idols because they sold 150 000 copies.

I really don't care at all... I got into Opeth a couple years ago about, and maybe it was cause My Arms Your Hearse was getting bigger... But I think I would be a little little little bit happier if it was still not as known about I guess...

I couldn't get their CDs before either, so THAT doesn't make a difference. :p i've always ordered them online, even though I live in a big metropolitan area. I'm amazed at their availability to some of you people who live in rural areas that I wouldn't think would have a big selection.

I always look at music in my own little shell. I don't particularly care about any fan base, and how that base changes over time. Of course more people, no matter how small, will hear Opeth for the first time, thus growing that base.

So what? Other than album availability. (actually, I ordered their entire library all at once @ CDNow.com just a few months ago)

Hey, I found Opeth somehow, and they are now my favorite metal band. My taste for them has not waivered in the least. I know I hear about "mainstream" acts first, because they are the ones who get national headlines, and make all the money. I have never radiated to bands like that.

I really agree with Despot in that Opeth becoming big would mean they were making money, so they could tour more frequently, and turn many more people on to them (as long as they didn't change anything because a promoter decided an "image change" would even make more $$).

I think the ultimate horror would be to see Opeth get big by following in the professional footsteps of the likes of Brittany Spears, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, and even to an extent Aerosmith and Metallica (more recently). Even knowing they were making all that $$, can you imagine Opeth concerts rivaling the followings of concerts like Janet Jackson, Madonna, N'Sync, and others like that? (good? bad? not sure)

Maybe us Opethians are jealous in some way, and only want to share Opeth with select individuals whom we believe deserve Opeth, because they can understand their complexity and originality. Let's hide Opeth in some remote location, provide them with a state-of-the-art studio, have them make CD's for us, and come play in our basements.:err:

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Maybe us Opethians are jealous in some way, and only want to share Opeth with select individuals whom we believe deserve Opeth, because they can understand their complexity and originality.:err:

I could not agree more! I've tried to turn other ppl onto Opeth but after some failure have come to realize that it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate the music. Therefore I've been kind of selective of the ppl that I share with.
I'm not saying that Opethians are in anyway superior to those that don't like them, but some ppl just don't get it so they blow it off--those are the ppl that I wouln't waste time sharing with.

Let's hide Opeth in some remote location, provide them with a state-of-the-art studio, have them make CD's for us, and come play in our basements

aahh...if only kidnapping wasn't a crime