ok everbody!

svenske kocken

oompa loompa doopity doo
May 9, 2001
Åhus - Skåne - Sweden
www.geocities.com
A little question, sorry, a couple of questions:
When did you all start to listen to Opeth?
What draw your attention to Opeth?
The first Opeth song you heard?
The first Opeth album you bought?

My first encounter with Opeth was in a swedish magazine named Metal Zone. The year was 1994. In this magazine there was a section named "Extreme Zone" where Jon Nödtveidt of Dissection rated demos and fanzines. In this particular edition of Metal Zone he wrote about Opeths demo and caught my attention. I never bought their dem (which I mostly regret today) but I thought that this was a band to watch out for. So when Orchid arrived in 1995 I bought it without any hesitation. And did I love that record or what? Since then I have been the greates Opeth fan i Skåne (a "state" in the southern part of Sweden for anyone who wonder).

1.When did you all start to listen to Opeth?
2.What draw your attention to Opeth?
3.The first Opeth song you heard?
4.The first Opeth album you bought?

1. When I was 12
2. Great vocals , and the idea of strumming the notes instead of just hitting them ( you wouldn't understand)
3. April Ethereal
4. My Arms Your Hearse

1.When did you all start to listen to Opeth?
Hmm, about a year ago.
2.What draw your attention to Opeth?
It just sounded different, better, unlike anything i have heard before.
3.The first Opeth song you heard?
Nectar.
4.The first Opeth album you bought?
Orchid (i decided to go in chronological order).

Friend told me about them and the album covers I thought were really damn cool

Advent

Morningrise

around '97

the beuatiful songs, the combination of acustics/clean song and metal/growling, the images the music created inside of me, the complex song structures, how it reminded me of my love for nature

Nectar (on the Close-Up (swedish metal magazine) promo Independent Music for Independent People. dunno which year that one came out. anybody know? I don't have the magazine that it came with 'cause I've "borrowed" the CD from a friend...

MAYH

1. early last year, hence the subject header
2. Just their whole atmosphere, discipline, and balance between the acousic and death metal elements and harsh and clean vocals, and above all their melodic sense.
3. Godhead's Lament
4. Still Life

>When did you all start to listen to Opeth?
>What draw your attention to Opeth?
>The first Opeth song you heard?
>The first Opeth album you bought?

Yes.

Actually, I have only been travelling the Opeth highway for a short time. Now, this does not make a lot of sense, but I've been listening to real metal since 1984 - and before that, Zep, Aerosmith, etc. had to do. I listen to a local college station - WERS in Boston, MA which only plays metal 11:00PM - 2:00AM on Sunday nights. Their 1st show was in 1984. Until I heard Bleak, I can't ever remember hearing an Opeth tune - if I did, I must of been blind back then. So, my first CD was Blackwater Park, which I received from the "What Does Opeth Mean To Me" contest. I also won a copy on WERS, which is now in my car.
I can only say that Opeth isn't defined in a musical category, though most call it metal. It is more of a means to escape whatever it is that ails you right before you play their music. I guess I'm drawn to them by the "Pied Piper" effect - I just get mesmerized.
So, from an "experienced" metal listener, I can say that bands/music have come and gone, but in my mind, Opeth has engrained itself in my mind, and will never really leave.

Fall of 1999 I ordered My Arms, Your Hearse from Century Media and life hasn't been the same since. I hadn't heard them yet, but had heard that they were a good band to check out. I was grossly misinformed. Not just a great band, but the greatest band.... :)

> When did you all start to listen to Opeth?

I first heard Opeth in late-1997/early-1998. I can't remember exactly. About 4 years ago or so...

> What draw your attention to Opeth?
> The first Opeth song you heard?

Actually, it was a weird thing. I happened to stumble across an mp3 of Forest of October on some random mp3 website. I thought to myself "Wow, that's a really cool name for a song" (yeah, yeah.... hehe), and proceeded to download it. It was good at first but didn't turn into the masterpiece that it is today, as it took a few listens for me to realize that. Also on the site was Under the Weeping Moon, and after listening to that, I pretty much came to the conclusion that this was some of the best music that I'd ever listened to. The dynamics were unmatched, the melodies were flawless and the musicianship was something that I had sought after for years. Which leads to the next question...

> The first Opeth album you bought?

Obviously,.. Orchid! Shortly after, I obtained Morningrise and was absolutely hooked. Sometime later, I'd heard a clip of Demon of the Fall on the then, upcoming, My Arms Your Hearse album and was totally awe struck. I had never anticipated an album release in my entire life as much as MAYH. Even today, it's my favorite album of all time. :)

1. Summer of '99.

2. Well, in the physical sense, a friend of mine who said "Here! Listen to this!"
Musically, the use of acoustic passages in metal. It was a new, very very cool concept to me at the time. And also, the cover shot of Morningrise (which is just so cool), including the "Extreme Progressive Metal: the best 66 minutes of metal you will ever hear" sticker, which I at first found a little pretentious-sounding, but then was quickly justified by...

3. Advent

4. My Arms Your Hearse (was looking for Morningrise, they didn't have it, bought MAYH on a bit of a whim, never looked back. Owned all three Opeth records within a few weeks and bought Still Life within days of its release)

When did you start to listen to Opeth?

A few months after "Morningrise" was released

What drew your attention to Opeth?

We were at our summer cottage and my friend (Hearse) made me listen to something awful, while I wanted to listen to whatever I was listening to back then. When I had the patience to pay some attention to what he was trying to make me hear, I realized it was really something cool! It was Advent.

Advent.

I bought Orchid and Morningrise at the same time.

When did you start to listen to Opeth?
Sometime in 1998, about a year or so before the release of Still Life.

I heard a lot of good things about then on the internet (mainly other Message Boards) so I downloaded one or two of their songs, then started buying the albums.

I'm pretty sure it was To Bid You Farewell.

Still Life.

[color=sky blue]When did you start to listen to Opeth?
I started listening to them just after their appearance with Katatonia at Milwaukee Metalfest of 2000. I was SO jonesed that I missed that. The two of them, TOGETHER!

I was on a hunt for something better. Something more, and not quite sure what. Then I found it. It turned out to be more emotion that I was looking for. Boy, did I find it.

Prologue...then April Ethereal. Which answers my next question...

My Arms, Your Hearse through CDnow. I went with that because a few online people said that was their favorite. It ended up being my favorite too. A week later, I ordered the remaining three.[/color]

LYNN
:)

I used to hang in a CD store where I lived almost every day, checking out new bands and see what was just come in. I got to know the owner pretty well, and I guess he got to know me because one day when I walked into the store he throws this CD in my face and says it just came in and I have to listen to it. So I bought Orchid that very day, and have never been disappointed by Opeth since...

In short:
1) 1995
2) The music? ;)
3) In mist she was standing
4) Orchid

Originally posted by svenske kocken
A little question, sorry, a couple of questions:

I first heard "To Bid You Farewell" through a FTP site. In fact it was not even the full song, jut 5 or 6 minutes... enough to make me want to buy the album.

I live in the US, and it was extremly difficult to get their music, but I ordered Morningrise through CDNOW, and got ORCHID almost immediately after.

I got the albums sometimes in 1998.

I loved the acoustic guitars initially; after listeing to the albums more carefully I came to appreciate the unpredictability of the music i.e. "the ever changing riffs", the musicianship, the beautiful arrangements, the lyrics, and last but not least the vocals. Akerfeldt has incredible range, and is the best in the business as fars as Death/Black vox go, and his clean singing is pretty good too.