Just thought i'd say something !!

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
I was talkin to this guy on Napster named Krieg18 , first he said I was Trendy for listening to Opeth , the he said "ahahah opeth the most gay band in the world!! asshole! "

then he said " opeth : Blaack Metal For White People!!!! NS-Black Metal!! "

what a fuckin idiot , add this guy to your hotlist's and call him down .

Originally posted by warsofwinter
I was talkin to this guy on Napster named Krieg18 , first he said I was Trendy for listening to Opeth , the he said "ahahah opeth the most gay band in the world!! asshole! "

then he said " opeth : Blaack Metal For White People!!!! NS-Black Metal!! "

what a fuckin idiot , add this guy to your hotlist's and call him down .

I post on a black metal/death metal board on AOhelL, and there has been a huge kick back by the underground for liking Opeth. I don't know how many times I've been called a "fag" for liking Opeth. This is by people who used to like 'em. Why don't they like 'em anymore? Because they're "trendy" now. What does that mean? They don't like 'em anymore because they're "not underground" enough. How lame is that! That makes me so angry. Finally a good band starts gaining some recognition, and the peopel who used to listen to 'em quit. That's fucking lame.

There were people calling BWP "Bongwater Park" and shit like that. They don't like it now because it's got too much of a "bongwater groove." These people are stupid. They're the reason I've become so dissillusioned with the scene.

These are the same people who refer to Mayhem as "Gayhem" now, too. God forbid a band do something DIFFERENT! :eek:

Originally posted by NovembersDirge

I post on a black metal/death metal board on AOhelL, and there has been a huge kick back by the underground for liking Opeth. I don't know how many times I've been called a "fag" for liking Opeth. This is by people who used to like 'em. Why don't they like 'em anymore? Because they're "trendy" now. What does that mean? They don't like 'em anymore because they're "not underground" enough. How lame is that! That makes me so angry. Finally a good band starts gaining some recognition, and the peopel who used to listen to 'em quit. That's fucking lame.

There were people calling BWP "Bongwater Park" and shit like that. They don't like it now because it's got too much of a "bongwater groove." These people are stupid. They're the reason I've become so dissillusioned with the scene.

These are the same people who refer to Mayhem as "Gayhem" now, too. God forbid a band do something DIFFERENT! :eek:

Actually , the only Blackmetal band i've ever really enjoyed is Emperor and i don't really consider them Black Metal .

Black metal attracts stupid satanist's that think there music is better just because it's heavier

I was a huge blackmetal fan, then I started liking more "trendy" things and found out what huge assholes some "elite" blackmetal fans are. There are a lot of cool people though but the music just doesn't attract me like it used to.

Originally posted by winter-frost
I was a huge blackmetal fan, then I started liking more "trendy" things and found out what huge assholes some "elite" blackmetal fans are. There are a lot of cool people though but the music just doesn't attract me like it used to.

I still like a lot of black metal, but I like stuff more like Vintersorg, and Opeth now. I also really dig on Power Metal!! That stuff is great!

Yeah I still listen to a lot of the classics Enslaved, Satyricon, Dissection. But anything that is coming out this day is pretty boring sounding in my opinion. Although I do like the new Dimmu the rest I can't say much for.

Originally posted by winter-frost
Yeah I still listen to a lot of the classics Enslaved, Satyricon, Dissection. But anything that is coming out this day is pretty boring sounding in my opinion. Although I do like the new Dimmu the rest I can't say much for.

When people ask me do i like Dimmu Borgir , I usually say yes , but the truth is , the only good parts in most new Dimmu Borgir songs is when Garm sings , man that guy is talented .

Opeth is trendy?
In that case only because they started a trend, and they are developing it themselves.
What are those guys mad at, that Opeth goes their own way and happen to strike a cord that is the fucking divine harmony?
Heh, I used to say "There is no divine intervention", but when I listen to Opeth I'm not to sure anymore!

As to black metal, I mostly listen to old things like Dissection, Satyricon etc, but I also think the new Dimmu Borgir is great.
I'm probably not very up to date with the Black Metal scene.

I've never been a big black metal fan. There are a few bands I listen to but overall black metal has never appealed to me. What I think is funny about this jerk-off's comment is that to me, Opeth's music is way darker, evil, and heavier than any black metal music.
The contrast between the acoustic and electric sections, the growls/clean vocal contrast and just Opeth's godlike talent to create dark moods/atmospheres puts them way ahead of any black metal I've heard. A lot of black metal, in my opinion, is just plain silly with their make-up, high-pitched screams, and pathetic lyrics. A lot of them think their music is so dark and evil but to me they just look like a bunch of silly wankers. Don't think that I'm stereotyping the whole genre, this is just an observation based on my experience with a few bands.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

Black metal attracts stupid satanist's that think there music is better just because it's heavier

Why'd you say that Wars? Please don't generalize.. I happen to love black metal, and I'm neither stupid nor a satanist. This is the kind of close-mondedness to which you were just referring.

There will always be conflicts in this area because of all the strong personalities involved.

What I think of as black metal is Satyricon, Darkthrone and the like - extremely cold music. I do enjoy it occasionally, but it's not music for every mood.

I've always found dimmu borgir to be very romantic. Catchy and happy, fast and melodious. (I don't like dimmu borgir's later stuff: Arcturus already did this, and much much better.) 'Trall-metal' is what we call it in swedish, which could be translated to carol metal. Later emperor and finntroll also go into this category. The extreme black metal folks will naturally dislike these because of their happy nature.

And the make-up makes me think of glamrock. ;D

But Opeth doesn't sound anything like that, they don't wear litres of make-up, the songs are not confined to flaming christianity with such christians notions as satan and hell, they're extremely good musicians and, from what I hear from concerts, extremely down to earth professional people. In light of this, disliking Opeth for being 'trendy' is very silly.

But we all know there's a good supply of silly people. I should frame a quote of him and put on the wall, just for the comedy of it. =)

Would Arch Enemy be classified as "black metal"? Their music at the least borders on anti-christianity and has an extremely morbid feel to it (ex. snow bound).

Originally posted by warsofwinter

When people ask me do i like Dimmu Borgir , I usually say yes , but the truth is , the only good parts in most new Dimmu Borgir songs is when Garm sings , man that guy is talented .

Garm never sang with Dimmu, as far as I know, I thought it was Simen. And Simen sang with Arcturus on La Masquerade for a couple of tracks. That guy is a band whore. He's never actually stuck with a band.

Rofl. Mistaking Simen Haestnes for Garm can get you killed in if you're not careful. They have completely different voices and singing styles. And yes, Simen is a band-whore, jumping from band to band. Garm is more of a band-swinger, singing in lots of different bands and projects.

I think La Masquerade Infernale was Simen's first appearance on the scene, with the best track of the album: The Chaos Path. Next thing I know after that is him singing in Borknagar. I haven't listened to these alot yet, but I did read on Borknagar's site that there was an issue with Simen: Apparently dimmu borgir scheduled some event so it conflicted with a Borknagar event, and Simen chose dimmu. I don't consider the dimmu material where Simen sings to be very original at all.

Ok, here goes. This is my first post, got a little something to say about blackmetal. I started out *hangs head in shame* listening to Cradle of Filth. (Lived in a small town, no selection of music) I liked it, played a cover or 3 in my band. I moved on to Old Man's Child, and having a classical music background, really liked the acoustic approach on their first album. From there, I tried a bunch of stuff, rarely more than one album of anything. Dissection has stuck, OMC has, and then Opeth came along. Once I fell for Opeth, I basically put all the other metal down. It whetted my appetite for brutality and darkness, but also for musical acumen and variety. I hardly listen to any metal anymore (Opeth excluded), but the occasional blackmetal cd does find its way into the tray. It might have something to do with the fact that I can't possibly sing along (let alone understand the lyrics, half of which are impossible even with the lyric sheet - ie: Mayhem) to most blackmetal, while Opeth provides an outlet for that.

My question is, how can anyone say that Opeth is trendy? I'm the only Opeth fan I know, while hordes are flocking to nu-metal, etc. If something deserves a strong fanbase due to talent or personality, then it's by no means a trend.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, at least. Thanks.

How can opeth be trendy when they are not mainstream, and if they do go mainstream it would be because they didnt follow trends. Its weird how all other metal heads, except for black metal fans are loyal to a band unless they feel the band turns on them, but if a black metal band calls another metalhead a poser just because they listen to bands that sell more than 2 cds thats their problem. Thats why I turned away from black metal. They only listen to stuff because no one else listens to it.

If metal does get somewhat big again than Opeth, Iced Earth, and Nevermore are the ones to do it. None of them follow trends. They just do what they like. If they do become trendy it will be because of the trendy people not because of the bands.

That was heavy metal was about in the beginning (around when I was born :p )

Listening to loud music without caring what people said...

If some black metal maniac says you suck for listening to Opeth, then good, you probably don't want to be his friend or even have something to do with him.

Originally posted by Protocol
Rofl. Mistaking Simen Haestnes for Garm can get you killed in if you're not careful. They have completely different voices and singing styles. And yes, Simen is a band-whore, jumping from band to band. Garm is more of a band-swinger, singing in lots of different bands and projects.

I think La Masquerade Infernale was Simen's first appearance on the scene, with the best track of the album: The Chaos Path. Next thing I know after that is him singing in Borknagar. I haven't listened to these alot yet, but I did read on Borknagar's site that there was an issue with Simen: Apparently dimmu borgir scheduled some event so it conflicted with a Borknagar event, and Simen chose dimmu. I don't consider the dimmu material where Simen sings to be very original at all.

Simen has fucking great vocal parts on The Chaos Path, I think that song is by far the best on the CD, as well. I thought that Simen's vocals with Spiritual Black Dimensions were very good, but I didn't like him with Borknagar, nor did I like them as much on the new Dimmu. Garm is a God of vocals, and nothing that man has done has failed, IMO.