Something Strange

My sister is weird. He has been into pop and boy bands for all her life. But now she has told me to record some cds for her and those had mp3 with stuff like limp biskit linkin park and marlyn manson....i guess years and years of blasting dying fetus all over my house have made her as tolerant as a pop liking person can be

Well, I think anyone who's really into music will evolve his/her taste, even if it's only alternative/nu-metal or Marilyn Manson - or any other style, for that matter... Those who like charts-music (and only charts-music) listen to it because it is a part of our culture, not because they're really interested in music... that's at least my opinion.

My mother does like some of the bands i listen to, she loves Opeth accoustic parts, love the Ulver accoustic album (made me do a tapes of it for her to listen at work). She is not into growl much, she loves Rapsodhy (i once was doig my homework when i heard her singing along the music on Raphsody). I often get the comments : "The music is great but the growls are a little too much for me".

She loves Dream Theater especially their last album, she like the Malmsteen concerto CD...

She knows a lot of band by names and by sound, i even mentioned Gorgoroth one time and she knew them.

But the biggest thing that happened to me was while we were in a car with some friends of mine (metal fans), she was driving, and i put a tape, i said : "Let's listen to some Immortal"
The music started (it was not Immortal but Mayhem), after 15 seconds she told us : "It does not sound like Immortal, isn't it some Mayhem, son ?"

You should have seen the look on my face and the look of my friends faces... It was priceless

lol Zemb :lol:
My mom had no clue what I listened to and when she asked me once I just told her "metal I guess" (I knew if I got detailed she'd get lost. She asked "Like heavy metal?" "Uhh.. I guess so." "I can't stand that stuff." But I know she'd like some of what I listen to, like acoustical parts and bands like Therion she'd probably like mostly, I just don't really have a desire to get her into it. I think up until like 2 months ago my dad thought I liked N'Sync :err: . We were in the car going to a restauraunt and he said "I got the new N'sync CD" and he looked at me like I'd be all excited :lol: I promply told him why I can't stand pop music. When I got my Opeth shirt my mom said she loved the lettering. I wonder if my brother would like anything good, hmm, he isn't all that into music, he has a few alternative CD's but I think that's just because he doesn't know of anything better, I should probably see if he likes anything else.

My father always tells me the music i like its much more elaborated than the one on his days ( he has the musical taste of Homer simpson: Grand Funk Railroad ) but he is beyond any music...or anything else that is not gameboy kid games and tv shows...

Originally posted by mindflesh
Those who like charts-music (and only charts-music) listen to it because it is a part of our culture, not because they're really interested in music... that's at least my opinion.

Eee-gzack-tly ! Beautifully said ! Charts music is functional music, even if there's some good stuff here and there like Radiohead or Bjork, the people who are not into music will listen to it only because it's in the muthafukin' charts ! A social show-off.

D Mullholand