Something Strange

Mayh

Who's that Melinda person
Oct 3, 2001
Well, after I got into Opeth I haven´t really talked about anything else. So I was sitting in front of the computer the other day when my dad came in my room and...... Grabbed Morningrise, he then proceeded to listen to it and after a while he returned it and said he liked it. All my talk about Opeth problably made him curious about this great band, I don´t know what he would have said if he had taken My arms your hearse but this was cool anyhow. It´s also pretty cool that my dad likes some of Åkerfeldt´s favourite bands, Wishbone ash and other 70's prog rock.

(I thank god he didn´t take something like cannibal corpse from my stack of cd´s :lol: )

Originally posted by Mayh

(I thank god he didn´t take something like cannibal corpse from my stack of cd´s :lol: )

Hey? Why can't he take Cannibal Corpse? :confused: In my house, the whole music thing is in reverse anyways. My 18 year old son isn't totally into music, and my 16 year old daughter likes pop as well as some metal. And they get the metal from MY collection.

So offer up Cannibal Corpse to your Dad - one never knows.

that is so cool that your dad was open to it. and even if he didn't wind up liking it, the fact that he listened to it to show some interest in your life is awesome. my dad is an ass. he forced me to be this piano prodigy, and when i gave it up, i'm nothing to him. i keep trying to tell him how all my knowledge of theory, etc, paid off because now i get this amazing enjoyment from a band called opeth....and he's not the least bit interested. if it's not classical (even though, in many ways, opeth is) it's shit to him. even though he knows nothing about classical. fucking poser. sorry for the rant. but you're very lucky, and i'm glad to hear there are some dads like that out there.

Hmm I think my dad doesn't really know what metal music is about and I didn't bother to discuss that topic so far, cos I know that's not a style he would like. The only time he was confronted with it was when he saw one of my metal magazines lying around and told me I shouldn't get into some satanist sect or something because of the inverted crosses etc. in the magazine :D
Besides that, he pretty much leaves my music collection alone...

But, last week or so my mom once came into my room when the acoustic part of Karma was playing and she said she liked it... On the other hand she describes anything metal as noise :D

You are so lucky to have such an open-minded father It makes me green with envy.

My family is into Rap, R&B, and Nu-metal (to them, nu-metal is kind of exotic). They tried to get me into their music a lot and I wound up hating Rap and R&B and wound up liking a few select nu-metal bands. In fact it was a search on Amazon.com for bands that offered more that led me to bands like In Flames and Opeth. They've always encouraged me to expand my musical tastes, but now that my tastes have evolved differently from theirs they think I'm crazy. Instead of Rap, R&B, and Nu-Metal, I like Melo Death and Trance.

If a band isn't Rap or R&B or on some top ten list on K-Rock they think it's shit, and they only respect bands you can find in the music section at K-Mart. They constantly ridicule my music and asks me when I'm going to start painting my face and sacrifice animals to my "dark master" :mad: It gets so fuckin frustrating. :hotjump:

Anyway, enough ranting. You're very lucky.

My family is really open to it. My dad has played guitar for 38 years, so he's glad I'm into music (playing AND listening). He really likes the complexity of Opeth but has problems with the growls. I turned into a fan of some of the non BM/DM stuff I like, namely Sonata Arctica, Katatonia, Stratovarius, Savatage, etc. My mom is a music person as well so she gets off on the fact that I'm so into music. She's ito vocalists, so she likes Nightwish, The Gathering, Sonata Arctica, Opeth (the jazzier stuff), and the likes. My bro as of late has been into cheesy european power metal and cheesy 80's power metal.

People my age are the worst. All through high school they told people I was a satanist and even told the parents of a girl I was going to ask out that I killed several cats just to watch them bleed. All because of the music I like...:mad:

My family is very open minded. I often take my Opeth CD's if I go out driving with my mom, and she always listens to them with me. I also show her a lot of really symphonic based black metal, and stuff like that. My parents greatly influenced my tastes in music, I have always listened to great groups such as Genesis, Mike Oldfield, Yes, PFM and various other progressive or other style bands. My parents both like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment a lot because of the influence that comes from the music they listen to. It is great to be able to share musical interests with you parents I think. I would love it if my dad came in and took one of my Opeth CD's, but I don't know if that would happen....

Hm, this reminds me I want my father to check out Opeth.
I think I'm going to burn him "Still Life" and send it together
with some Uriah Heep and Deep Purple bootlegs :eek:)
Not leaving a note about the Opeth cd, nothing.
Just check if he plays it, and see if he bothers to tell me
what he thought of it. I think he'll phone me up and go
"So, what's this oetph, otepep, ephot, opett? Oooopeth?
Opeth thing? They're really good. You listen to this crazy music
now? Oooh, I have my own little black metaller! Who would've
thought you'd turn into liking HEAVY music!" Hehe...
He won't like the growls, but he'll think they are great musicians,
and opeth might grow on him!

Hell, I'll burn "Still Life" righ away! :eek:)

Hot damn! Wish anyone in my family was open enough to do that. I'm sure I could get my father into some of the mellower tracks, but he wouldn't have any of the heavier stuff. Mind you, I played Nile for a co-worker who's into the most popular of popular crap, and she said she thought it was cool (more novelty value, I bet)

My father only listens to Gospel, and really old blues songs. My mother is into 60's and 70's music and broadway showtunes. So I doupt I'll ever get them into my music.

My siblings on the other hand, I could probably get them into Opeth if they didn't growl. That's the ONE thing that separates my music from their range of taste.

My mom likes death metal vocals, especially Amorphis. But she can't tolerate black metal vocals, so go figure. She likes most of my metal, but when I put on Current 93 or something, she runs away.

D Mullholand

my old man's music tastes go about as far as Dr. Hook... My mum on the other hand is pretty open minded about music, she says whe even plugs in one of my cd's every once in a while when she's missing me.

Originally posted by Belial
If a band isn't Rap or R&B or on some top ten list on K-Rock they think it's shit, and they only respect bands you can find in the music section at K-Mart. They constantly ridicule my music and asks me when I'm going to start painting my face and sacrifice animals to my "dark master" :mad: It gets so fuckin frustrating. :hotjump:

:lol: :err: :lol:

This thread just made me realize...that, I never see my dad enjoying music. I don't think he would either. He's not into it. :err: He's not into music. His wife, OTOH, is very eager to hear what this Opeth band sounds like that I've mentioned many times. I think I mentioned this before. My brother listens to some death metal and she said it sounded satanic because of the growls and what they call it - DEATH metal. I started explaining the emotions that are expressed in the music. So, I guess I better get to it. To Bid You Farewell seems best.

"Spiraling to the ground below, like autumn leaves left in the wake to fade."

my parents listen to country and western...
and when i show them some of my bands music or a song ive written they say "that was good" with this glazed look over there eyes... :err:
and when ive got opeth pumping its usually a comment such as "gee thats some good music your playing!" (sarcasticly)... but my dad plays a bit of guitar so he appreciates some aspects of it...