Behemoth's Nergal - Rob Darken is an internet warrior: nothing.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Graveland has sold and spread more throughout the world than Behemoth who's fully toured the US 3 times(and again two more soon on MAJOR tours with Suffocation and King Diamond), and is also signed and distributed through Century Media?

For starters, Darken has had far, far more releases than Behemoth, and while his work isn't as visible in the mainstream metal scene, it is quite visible in the white power scene, which is vastly larger than the audience for the style of death metal Behemoth now plays. His albums are released on No Colours, which is a smaller label overall, but they are distributed primarily through Resistance Records and Panzerfaust, both of which move a great deal more extreme product than Century Media, which relies primarily on a handful of semi-mainstream bands like Lacuna Coil (and Behemoth is not in this number) to provide the bulk of its sales. The two major WP related labels both NETTED close to $2 million last year, so you're talking about a huge market, despite its low public profile.

Or, to put it this way, talk to people outside of metal (or even within it) and far more people will have heard of Graveland than of Behemoth.

Planetary Eulogy said:
The "I've never met Rob Darken" crap is a little harder to explain away...

well, the way i take it is, that he's never met him personally, but knows him. i mean, he did guest on the early behemoth albums, and earlier in his answer he said he played in darkens home town, so he must know who he is.

Jaded said:
well, the way i take it is, that he's never met him personally, but knows him. i mean, he did guest on the early behemoth albums, and earlier in his answer he said he played in darkens home town, so he must know who he is.
The early Behemoth albums were recorded on a shoestring budget in the early 90's. It's not like they were trading synth lines over the internet. He had to have met the guy. More than that, he had to have known Darken personally, so this whole "I've never met him" shit smacks of revisionism.

I think it is okay for bands in the metal scenes to have ideological discussions or whatever you want to call this thing.
I just find it ridiculous, how Darken speaks in pagan warlike imagery as if he had a bloodfeud with this other guy, while in fact he will never do anything of what he is talking about.
I also think it is vastly exagerrated to speak of turning towards Death Metal (or even if he turned to making pop music..) as a betrayal and so on (or did i miss the point of the quarrel..?).
He should either have areal ideological discussion on a purely intellectual level with him or really do what he talks about instead of bragging and talking and blabbering...

I find Graveland boring, btw, and i can find NOTHING in it, especially not in the Celtic Winter. But i find old Behemoth boring too, and i don't know new Behemoth.

I've tried repeatedly to like Graveland, and for the most part nothing Darken has done captivates me. It's too plain to really involve me, and I enjoy black metal quite a lot.

A couple of points:
1. It's best to approach their best work (Thousand Swords) as a folk album rather than as a metal album.
2. "The Fire of Awakening" is probably most accessible Graveland piece.