Behind the songs

Usherette said:
I've read two recent interviews so far... none with Danny. I think they somehow lose some interest, considering he has written almost all the material...
Well I read one interview and thatone was with Danny.. You're reading the wrong magazines :loco:

Wouldn't it just be too easy to know the background of the songs? I mean make out of it what is right for you. If you know what Danny was about when he wrote a song you would always only think about that and not about your own thing anymore. This album is very personal allready and after all I don't think anyone of the band is really into sharing his personal thoughts and feeling in the internet ;)

Eos said:
Wouldn't it just be too easy to know the background of the songs? I mean make out of it what is right for you. If you know what Danny was about when he wrote a song you would always only think about that and not about your own thing anymore. This album is very personal allready and after all I don't think anyone of the band is really into sharing his personal thoughts and feeling in the internet ;)
i wasnt asking Danny to spread out his life, but more like what he did with AFDTE, when he spoke about for instance 'Release', what is about when a person is dependent on someone who can't cope in the 1st place.
that stuff. what he executes with the birds and that isnt that much of my concern, no :p

if it's all personal stuff, indeed he should keep it to himself yeah

Eos said:
Well I read one interview and thatone was with Danny.. You're reading the wrong magazines :loco:

in which magazine did you read it? i hardly ever find anything on anathema here!

about the lyrics : yeah i guess you're right, make up your own story.
though i sometimes wonder about the story behind these moving song, i don't think any work of "art" needs an explanation(think i'm repeating myself here)

the only song with any kind of 'message' for the public is closer, which is basically about trying to live well. i would prefer people to interpret their own stuff in the songs and not speculate on what my life has been like. its nobody elses business and i aint telling.

i didnt speculate about any of the songs tho.
was just thinking if there were any more philosophies behind the lyrics and/or tunes. mirroring thoughts is a fave passtime of mine ;)

nick griffiths mentioned morricone about the intro to flying. i never listened much though he's obviously dead good. as for badalamenti, i don't know him at all. i suppose theres classical influences in my stuff though aye. always has been.

Aah.. you see I heard some Morricone guitars in the beginning of Childhood Dream. And that Badalamenti thingie, well I thought there were a little hint of Twin Peaks theme hidden in the piano of Violence. I dunno, me and speakinstone had a sudden urge to watch Twin Peaks after hearing that song :D

right. well in that case yeah. i always loved the tunes in the old clint eastwood films and on twin peaks as well. deffo an influence though its ages since i listened to them like.

pagan2002 said:
the only song with any kind of 'message' for the public is closer, which is basically about trying to live well. i would prefer people to interpret their own stuff in the songs and not speculate on what my life has been like. its nobody elses business and i aint telling.
I think you are right with that Danny. Any person who can count up to ten should be able to interpretate the lyrics and any person that is aware of the "shit" will find much more messages in the lyrics than only the one of closer.

For me "A Natural Disaster" is your most adequate album dealing with what you are dealing with. In contrast to A4 or Judgement the emotional landscape you created is much more in centre.

It is focused as I would say.

Hope there will be a tour in some months...

danny how about putting a song on the next album written by a fan? I have about 16 to choose from mate, there's gotta be one u'd like :)

heheheh

pagan2002 said:
even nicer try! mines a newkie brown
i'll remember that if i see you.. would you like to be in my new band? come on mate, you know you want to. you've been in Anathema long enough lol let's write hit songs together and go on totp.. we'll be like Wham. hehehe