Benighted - For 70 Minutes?

I'm afraid Damnation is going to be a disappointment... at least if "Patterns in the Ivy II" and "Still Day Beneath the Sun" is anything to go by.

Originally posted by Johan
I'm afraid Damnation is going to be a disappointment... at least if "Patterns in the Ivy II" and "Still Day Beneath the Sun" is anything to go by.

I get what you're saying. I didn't dislike those songs, but they weren't spectacular. I don't, however, think that Damnation is going to be anything like that. It's sounds to me like its going to be Mike and Steven's album, very prog, and probably like a more current sounding sorskogen than still day or patterns II.

Though I really enjoy the bonus tracks (especially playing them), I don't think that's the way Damnation will go.
The bonus tracks are quite traditional acoustic songs, but Damnation will be a very experimental album - we all read that.

IanDork107-

I can't believe you even remembered this 16 month old thread? I guess with the impending release of "Damnation", my original post does look fairly prophetic.

Contrary to what SHOOTME has suggested, I love all of Opeth's music. I own all of their CDs, have seen them live on two occasions, and have even been fortunate enough to have met and spoke with Mikael. I don't listen to anything because it's "trendy". Personally, I find the idea of Opeth being "trendy" fairly absurd. How can a band who has never shot a video, who is on a small label (even by indy standards), who has never garnered any radio play, and who has never done a headlining tour, even of small clubs in the states, be trendy? Even if they were "trendy", who would appreciate my "trendiness"? I don't personally know a single person who has even heard of Opeth.

GZ

I like opeths acoustic stuff, i like opeths hard stuff. But i wouldnt get all butt-hurt if opeth decided to drop all the distorted stuff all together and stick to acoustic, retro, progressive, experimental stuff only. I respect everything they do, and everything they will do. There are a lot of bands that do growls/distorted guitars, so i wouldnt miss it that much if they lost interest in it. I know most of you are thinking "opeth does it differently"...and yes, thats true...but you get my point i hope. rock on opeth, i cant wait to hear deliverance and damnation...long live the 70s!!!

If Opeth would go all-acoustic I'd abandon the faith, but that's never going to happen.

I can appreciate what LordHypnos is saying, but I too would hate to see them abandon the more extreme elements in their music. I have always felt that Opeth's more agressive moments help to make their acoustic passages that much more beautiful, by way of contrast, and vice versa. I think the approach they're taking, by releasing a traditional Opeth CD and an all acoustic CD is brilliant, It allows them to scratch their musical itch, without "selling out". Though I'm sure they could give a rat's ass what anyone thinks.

GZ

I really wonder how Damnation will sell and who will buy it except for us fans who are interested.

Wow. Ancient thread resurrection! It's a very strange thing to be reading a thread you're not familiar with and go "hey, I've already responded to this? No, wait... yes. 16 months ago!"

Anyways, the concept of Deliverance and Damnation in its most basic form goes back to the Candlelight days, as I mentioned, and Lee_B has confirmed this, if I remember correctly.

I think after Blackwater Park, Opeth couldn't just do "another album". MAYH was a bit of a changeup from Morningrise and the other two progressed from there, but now it's time to change it up again, I think. We're all waiting to see...

I'm kind of baffled as to why everyone seems to think that 'mellow' equals 'all-acoustic'. I mean, Deliverance is the 'heavy' album, but as we all know by now, it's not all raging guitars and growls. It's got its quiet moments, too. If that's the 'heavy' album, then by the same token, the 'mellow' album would be overall much softer, but I seriously doubt that there would simply be NO heavy parts. I'm thinking it'll be more stuff like 'To Bid You Farewell' and 'Face of Melinda' (or 'mellow' like Agalloch's 'The Mantle'), and I wouldn't be surprised if some even featured some growling. In any case, I'm not worried about it. I think it'll be great.