BENIGHTED (help please)

shrud

New Metal Member
Apr 19, 2004
Hi everybody,
my friend and myself have to do a work in our English class. We must find a song with poetic values, tell these values and read between the lines to understand each sentence of the song.

We choose the song "Benighted" of the Album Still Life.

We found the poetics values and of course there are many ( long live to Mikael !), now we are trying to read between the lines to understand the meaning of the lyrics.

Here they are :

Benighted

Come into this night
Here we'll be gone
So far away
From our weak and crumbling lives
Come into this night
When days are done
Lost and astray
In what's vanished from your eyes

What came and distorted your sight
Saw you benighted by your fright

Come into this night
Your plight alone
Carry your weight
You are flawed as all of us
Come into this night
You only home
It's never too late
To repent, suffer the loss

Come into this night
When you're able
To undo your deeds
And atone with your lonely soul
Once you're into this night
All minds are stable
Forget all your needs
Lose the grip of all control

------------------

I think there are many ways to interprete that.

Come into this NIGHT would mean Death I think

But what would be this "voice" that is signing (except for the chorus), I mean the part who wants the person to leave his life.

Who or what is talking to who or what ?

I would like to have your opinion about that !

Thanks a lot

Shrud

Why do all you fucking schoolboys bring your homework here? Stop being fucking gay, finish your homework on your own, and try to get a girlfriend or something.

man be quiet u fucking newb and let the guys do what they want, least it has better value then u talking about how much u want to eat steve wilsons cock D-Driver ur the one who is gay

As AllWithin said, the protagonist is having a vision where he speaks to Melinda in that manner. I know there's a word for it, but I've forgotten... it's where the main character speaks out his intentions aloud.

He plans to take Melinda away with him, and he obviously disapproves of some choices she's made. Possibly he is upset that she had not gone with him when he was exiled?

I don't know really, but it sounds like something along those lines.

the protagonist is having a vision where he speaks to Melinda in that manner. I know there's a word for it, but I've forgotten... it's where the main character speaks out his intentions aloud

Do you mean "interior monologue" or something like that? The thing is, I agree because he's not actually talking to anybody but he's showing his thoughts to us, readers/listeners of the story. Like OpentheGates said, you have to relate these lyrics to the whole of the concept. In this light, this is nothing but the wishes of Melinda's former lover to have her back again. This is, at the end of the day, why he came back to Melinda's place (but she was together with another...) :,-( So the voice in this song is that from the lover (throughout the whole song). Now all the interpretations on the images in this song I leave them up to you.

shrud said:
I think there are many ways to interprete that.

Come into this NIGHT would mean Death I think

But what would be this "voice" that is signing (except for the chorus), I mean the part who wants the person to leave his life.

Who or what is talking to who or what ?
yeah the guys pretty much said it...

i know the lyrics are very much open to interpretation but lol come on thats a very awkward one