What was the first Opeth...

When - the acoustic guitar and then heavinessnessness comes in
never heard stuff like that before

I don't know which song it was that I heard first by Opeth,
just know it was off "Still Life". I never got the song title,
since I heard it on the radio...

Just remember putting on the radio and hearing this
acourstic piece being played and it was just YUMMEEEE!!!
Then it exploded into this heavy growling thing and I hated
it >:eek:P Now I can't get enough growling.... >:eek:)

Prologue, then April Ethereal, then snippets of the rest of MAYH. It was in the record store in St. Louis, summer of 1999. I paid $10.99 for MAYH, and haven't looked back since!

mmm.. Opeth.

The first song I ever heard from Opeth was 'The Drapery Falls', and it was on a Kerrang! cover cd. I had never heard of Opeth before, and it was the edited version (ended in the middle of the solo, just before the growling began :D ). I was absolutely mesmerised by Mikaels vocals, they were (and still are, obviously) stunning. I quickly went out and bought BWP, still not knowing that there was gonna be growling involved (I listened to mostly lighter rock at the time)

Holy fuck did I get a shock when, after buying the album, I put it in my player slapped on The drapery falls' and then the growling! I was completely unprepared, yet intrigued. I quickly grew to love the growling, and now I have all their albums, saw 'em live in dublin, have loadsa merchandise and theyre my favourite band in the universe!

And *that*, is the story of my first ever opeth song!

The first Opeth song(s) I heard were from Morningrise. I believe I first heard Advent, The Night and the Silent Water, and To Bid You Farewell. I remember instantly being drawn to To Bid You Farewell. There was just something about it that made it stick in my mind. I played it non-stop and then became disconnected from Opeth for a while. Then, I started listening to them again and just became addicted and bought every album. :D

Harvest. I loved it immediatley. I still love it more than any other song in the world. It's why I got an acoustic guitar, even though I'm getting a bass ultimately.

April Ethereal!!!!!!!! I LOVE this song, I will ALWAYS love this song. Then I heard a "In The Mist She Was Standing" mp3, which made me purchase Orchid.

I first heard "Advent" and "In mist she was standing" about 4 years ago at my brothers house. (when i was like 12). I remember falling in love with it because at first they were songs that were to complicated for me to sing the tune of after hearing them a couple of times. I first got into those 2 albums then MAYH. And onwards.

I guess it was Prologue (if it's considered a song.. if not then April Ethereal).. A friend lent me MAYH for a few days.. I'd never even heard of Opeth.. I listened to the whole album 3-4 times on the same day.. and I was like.. "I'm going to love this group!".. guess I do now..

Advent.

I found a CD in a friend's collection that had the coolest cover... EVER! And, it had a sticker that said it was 66 minutes in 5 tracks of the best metal I would ever hear. I was getting deeper and deeper into metal at the time, and when Advent began spinning, I was shocked to hear acoustic guitars and they blew me away. I came back home and the record store didn't have Morningrise, so I got MAYH. Opethian from then on...

I first heard a few minutes of BRI in my brother's car. He told me it was about 20 mins long, and I thought that was a bit OTT. Then he lent me Morningrise, and I listened to the whole of Advent. It took a while to get used to the vocals, but it was immediately the best album I'd ever heard.