what is the first opeth song you heard?

Jul 17, 2003
Brooklyn NY
Visit site
I am new to this thread and I dont know if this topic has already been posted, however i would like to know which is the first opeth song you heard and in what year. Mine was "the funeral portrait" in 2001

I heard Requiem first. If that doesn't count (since it's only instrumental), then next I heard The Funeral Portrait. Weird how Orchid was the last CD for me to get when the first song i'd heard from them was on it.

Oh, that reminds me:

When you first heard Opeth, how long did it take for you guys to adjust to it and like it?

It took me a month or two, the growling vocals I instantly liked, because at the time I was already into death metal, so it wasn't hard for me to adjust.

Then the harmonies and melodies and the ingenous songwriting started kicking my ass. Then I became addicted.

"Nectar". It was early in my Black Metal exploration days. Granted, it was on the extremely awesome Blackend Vol 2 sampler, and, while a decent track, there were a *lot* of other bands with *great* tracks that jumped out on that sampler that got the nod (e.g., Satyricon, Ancient, Hecate Enthroned, Abigor). Eventually I picked up Orchid, and "In Mist..." got me hooked from the get-go.

actualyl funny, when i saw the flyer for them and nevermore back in 2001 i was like "who are these guys'" so i downloaded 2 songs "harvest" and "remember tomorrow" cover , those 2 alone made me buy blackwater park, and i had no clue of the death vocals and what not, but WOW i was impressed, i still never saw them on that tour cause i didnt have my license yet at the time.

fleshhead said:
"Nectar". It was early in my Black Metal exploration days. Granted, it was on the extremely awesome Blackend Vol 2 sampler, and, while a decent track, there were a *lot* of other bands with *great* tracks that jumped out on that sampler that got the nod (e.g., Satyricon, Ancient, Hecate Enthroned, Abigor). Eventually I picked up Orchid, and "In Mist..." got me hooked from the get-go.

I have Blackened Vol. 2... it rules. Good choice.