Your first Opeth song?

Cama_Zotz

I am a viking. Sometimes.
Jul 3, 2003
Ontario
I'm just curious, but what was your ('Your' as in..everyone) first Opeth song, and what was your impression?

Mine was 'Forest of October'. I heard it when I was like.. age 8-11. I can't remember exactly, cause I was young and I didn't care. The song that changed my life and my taste of music was 'Bleak'. Someone on a chatroom had told me to download it, the year 'Blackwater Park was released. (Thanks to whoever you are :D ) I was amazed, and I listened to it all night, and from then on Opeth has been the greatest thing I have ever heard.​

I was planning to go to the Dynamo festival in Holland because Megadeth would headline, but didn't know any other cool bands who would be playing on the festival. A band with a weird name called "Opeth" was also on the bill, but I never heard of them. So before the festival I wanted to check this band with this weird name out. Their only album they had at my local record store was Blackwater Park. It had just been released. I listened to it. I heard the first threatening notes of "The Leper Affinity" and I was hooked. Immediately. I am an addict ever since. :headbang:

[cont.]The next day I woke up early and biked to the closest music store and picked up Still Life and BWP. They are the only ones they really sell in Canada, discluding Damnation.

Demon of the Fall. Thought it was terrible and didn't listen to it any more. 3 weeks later I tried it again. Still nothing. Then finally I tried it a few days after that and started to sort of like it. Downloaded a few other songs (A Fair Judgement, Moonlapse Vertigo and BRI) and was really getting into them at last. Bought Morningrise and have been hooked since then :) (Have all albums except Deliverance)

Someone played some Morningrise for me around when Blackwater Park had come out...I only remember him explaining to me that the songs were all at least 10 minutes long and that they used acoustic guitars alot (We were totally annihilated).

I had seen a little blurb in Guitar World about them, so I decided to try and remember them...About a month later my friend in my band asked me if I had ever heard of Opeth, holy shit, blah, blah, blah, and then he played me Emre's bootleg of The Drapery Falls. When It got to the crazy riff in the middle, I was just freaking out going "Do you have the album version of this?!"

So there you have it. And then I bought all the albums and Opeth took over my playlist for the past 2 years.

Man, this is freakin' weird. This very morning I had a vision that someone would start a new thread with this question, which was asked a short while ago:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100432

I even worked out whether I would repost my answer, or just send them to that thread. Cut-n-paste follows:

===

"Nectar". It was early in my Black Metal exploration days. Granted, it was on the extremely awesome Blackend Vol 2 sampler, and, while a decent track, there were a *lot* of other bands with *great* tracks that jumped out on that sampler that got the nod (e.g., Satyricon, Ancient, Hecate Enthroned, Abigor). Eventually I picked up Orchid, and "In Mist..." got me hooked from the get-go.

===

On second thought, maybe this question regularly gets re-posted every three weeks...

The Night and the Silent Water I was just blown away by the two guitar harmonies and the acoustics. I actually laughed at the screaming vocals but they grew on me and I love them now. Didnt hear any other Opeth until about a year later when I heard To bid you farwell which blew me away as well then I bought BWP and thats when I got hooked and started checking out all the older albums.

Posted By: fleshhead
Man, this is freakin' weird. This very morning I had a vision that someone would start a new thread with this question, which was asked a short while ago:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=100432

I even worked out whether I would repost my answer, or just send them to that thread. Cut-n-paste follows ...

o_O Well, maybe I *knew* that you had these visions, and I was sent here to fullfill them.

I wouldnt have posted this thread if I had known there once was another. I don't come here often.

The Night and the Silent Water & Nectar from Morningrise. At this time, BWP was already released but for the longest time didn't want to get into the stuff after Mornigrise because I thought since it is the newer stuff, it may be worse than the older and sound not as great. These songs are stunning, but it was BLACK ROSE IMMORTAL that truly impressed the living shit outta me. The moments are just jaw-dropping....

Anyway, months later I purchased BWP and it blew my mind (not as good as their first two, but damn incredible.) Incredible enough that I bought like all their CD's in a very short time span.