Name one Opeth song you want to see live, and believe it's never been performed live.

I have live bootlegs of half the songs mentioned in this thread, ex The Funeral Portrait, Moonlapse Vertigo, and To Bid You Farewell (which I actually saw live). I dunno what the story is with the Funeral Portrait, the live bootleg I have is from France several years ago if I remember right and the song works great live. EDIT: My bad, it's from "Mean Fiddler, London."

Moonlapse Vertigo was played at Milwaukee Metalfest, and if I remember right that was their first ever show in the US, and they also said they would never play it live again. The bootleg is pretty bad quality and the song really didn't translate well live besides.

To Bid You Farewell is stunning live. I saw it in Chicago on the Damnation tour, and there were tons of drunken morons heckling Opeth through the entire set up to that point, especially during Weakness and the first part of TBYF, but after the whole bridge and distorted part you could have heard a pin drop when they started the final outro. Everyone was floored, even the obnoxious "FREEBIRD!!!" chanters. Definitely the best rock performance I've ever seen.

BTPISIO isn't gonna happen....unless Mike has a change of heart like he did with TNATSW which he now says is "so much fun to play"

I have live bootlegs of half the songs mentioned in this thread, ex The Funeral Portrait, Moonlapse Vertigo, and To Bid You Farewell (which I actually saw live). I dunno what the story is with the Funeral Portrait, the live bootleg I have is from France several years ago if I remember right and the song works great live. EDIT: My bad, it's from "Mean Fiddler, London.

Any way I can get The Funeral Portrait? Would love to hear it live.

They could probably pull off Moonlapse Vertigo much better than before with Per. If need be he could even be a third guitarist.

To Bid You Farewell is stunning live. I saw it in Chicago on the Damnation tour, and there were tons of drunken morons heckling Opeth through the entire set up to that point, especially during Weakness and the first part of TBYF, but after the whole bridge and distorted part you could have heard a pin drop when they started the final outro. Everyone was floored, even the obnoxious "FREEBIRD!!!" chanters. Definitely the best rock performance I've ever seen.

How did Mendez play the bass parts without a 6-string?

Has Black Rose Immortal ever been performed live?

Am I the only one who would want to see Opeth perform Still Life in its entirety? I really think it's perfect enough of an album. I feel the same about Damnation, but that's been done before.

How did Mendez play the bass parts without a 6-string?

Has Black Rose Immortal ever been performed live?

Am I the only one who would want to see Opeth perform Still Life in its entirety? I really think it's perfect enough of an album. I feel the same about Damnation, but that's been done before.

He played the low Ds up an octave, and there isn't anything that requires a high C string. Some of the slides sounded funky on a fretted bass but it was fine.

you know, Still Life is turning 10 in October and next year Orchid will be 15 years. maybe play the whole album?! make something special?!

next year Orchid will be 15 years. maybe play the whole album?! make something special?!

I think it would be great if Opeth re-recorded Orchid and Morningrise, as they are both great albums, but their production was kind of bleh. They both have a sound that I think was great but they changed it with MAYH. Which I am glad about, because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Still Life and Blackwater Park. But their old sound was great, IMO.

I think it would be great if Opeth re-recorded Orchid and Morningrise, as they are both great albums, but their production was kind of bleh. They both have a sound that I think was great but they changed it with MAYH. Which I am glad about, because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Still Life and Blackwater Park. But their old sound was great, IMO.

I love their old sound; parts of it I like even more than their recent stuff. Mikael strayed away from the style of the first two albums because he felt too many bands had a similar style. I see why he did it, but I still love the counterpoint thing they had going on in those days. Whether it was the acoustic passages or the parts that were all groovy and Nordic-sounding, those albums are classic to me.

If I had to pick a few songs from the first two albums to see live, I'd go with:

Forest of October
The Apostle in Triumph
Black Rose Immortal (obviously)
To Bid You Farewell