Best Australian beer

Steven

Jun 20, 2003
Visit site
In the U.S. I've found Cooper's, Emu, and VB.
So far, Cooper's is the pick of the litter! What else is worth seeking out?
And yes, most of my countrymen really do think that everyone in Oz drinks Foster's... fucking hell!

Bah! Fosters is awful. VB is the generic beer that most people seem to drink but I think it tastes like shit. Coopers is great! If you can track down some Cascade Premium somewhere, that's good too. Personally, I'm into James Squire Amber Ale. Recently voted one of the 10 best beers in the world. It's a bit pricey but hey, if you're gunna drink, you gotta do it with style.

i dont drink anymore but when i did, i always had XXXX Bitter. It is a fucking nice beer. Don't listen to anyone else if they bag it. Its a great drink. Ive tried many many other beers and XXXX is the best, apart from Grolsch (which isn't Aussie, so its irrelevant)

We don't even make Fosters in Australia anymore. It's a national icon and we all hate it.

My favourite aussie beer is Little Creatures, then my homebrew :D
James Squire and Cascade are good too. The rest is pretty much shit.

I drink VB at home and Carlton Draught (on tap) at pubs. They are both cheap and do the job.
On my last trip 'round tassie, eye took a liking to Boag's premium. No matter where you went it was always consistent and satisfying.
Fave international beer is Schofferhofer (Kristal). This one definately proves the germans are as serious about their beer as they are about producing fine cars. Sadly, just like their cars this beer is also pricey, so eye just buy it when it's on special at the local.
Anyway, if the beer you are currently guzzling is leaving a bad taste in your mouth and you wanna try a newbie, then check this cool website out
http://members.optushome.com.au/brewtal/for some light-hearted reviews on beers local and abroad.

Anyone check the gig at the espy last nite? Was rather impressed by the three bands that eye-saw (Portal,Darklord,goth). Easily Gospel's best gig in ages, and darklord was a pleasent surprise for me providing some excellent down-tuned chaos!

Magisterial said:
Yeah Alcoholocaust was such a great night!! Very impressed with the turnout. As expected, both Portal and Darklord slayed. I really enjoy Portal's recorded stuff- but seeing them live is an entirely different experience, amazing!

...what happened at the end though man? It was pretty much just me and my mate tryin to start up the chant to get Darklord back out....they were bloody brilliant \m/ \m/ ....really got into the old-school black metal stylings of Notherelm too....f**kn nice!!! Awesome night!!

...um yeah, go the Carlton Draught mate :headbang:

Of all the beers I tried when I was out in Australia, I'd say James Squire IPA was probably my favourite. Alas, I was informed that the pub I used to drink it at was the only one in Australia to have it on tap (at that point in time at least).

At home though or when out on the tiles, it was Carlton Draught all the way. It's a fairly tasteless concoction, but it's not unpleasent.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off for a pint of REAL British beer. :p

COOPERS are easily the best beer imo...esp the sparkling!

Then James Squires, little creatures and cascade all top notch aswell

And Crownies would have to the one of ther worst beers!!! People drink them thinking they are "Premium" beers. In reality they are just VB's with a gold wrapper!!!

Anyway Portal fucking slayed the other night! bloody excelent show they put on.

Darklord were great too, but i didnt expect them to come out looking all grim and necro it didnt seem to suit their music...

Yeah big James Boags Fan Loved the draught when I was in Tassy but cant find it anywhere on the mainland so I've decided to move down tassy sometime in the future for that reason haha, also a extremly hard beer to find but fucking amazing and costly is Hazards Ale its a small tassy beer brewed in the german style very nice!! Also dig the james Boags bitter which I'm not a big bitter fan but good shit. Also love the Tooheys Old, and starting to get into Carlton Draught (on tap only). For a non Aussie beer been drink alot of a New Zealand beer Super Dry (DB Breweries) similar to carlton dry.

BRUTAL SENSATION said:
And Crownies would have to the one of ther worst beers!!! People drink them thinking they are "Premium" beers. In reality they are just VB's with a gold wrapper!!!
It's about time someone else said this! It still has that horrible CUB taste, but everyone thinks it's good because all they usually drink is VB.

James Squire's is the best Australian beer, followed by Cooper's. The pub around the corner from me puts on an awesome Boag's Strongarm.