best bands for autumn and winter

To add...

autumn: Green Carnation, Falkenbach, Nokturnal Mortum, Rakoth, Einherjer

winter: Setherial, Manes

Negura Bunget and Ulver will work in both Autumn and Winter for me.

Autumn - Type O Negative, Danzig, the Misfits, Samhain, old King Crimson

Winter - black metal, "cold" sounding melodic death, etc.

For some reason, AtG's "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness" has always very much been an autumn album for me. Now that I think of it, it actually has a song on it called "The Break of Autumn," but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.

Add Taake to autumn.
Most (all?) black metal is at its best in autumn/winter. Bright summer days with laughing children outside just doesn't really blend with unholy black metal

Agalloch - The Mantle sounded really cool driving through the fog this morning.

Erik said:
So you like Farmakon, eh?
First of all, I agree that there's a *little* more structure to the songs compared to, say, L&E - in particular, the last track "Nothing" seems to stand out for me. This is a stunning way to end an album IMO.

For me, if Farmakon was an image, it would be a silhouette of 5-6 bare trees on a hilltop. No snow, just grey sky and desolation. Don't know if you can relate to that. Maybe I'll interpret it differently on the second listen.

Either way, I'm sure your review would be more apt and vivid.

Black Winter Day said:
since you ignored me the first time, jaykeely. . .
Man, your sig pictures are always so big, so when you make a post with one word, it just dissolves into emptiness. I didn't even see it! I feel like I'm surrounded by Negura Bunget trees everywhere, heh.

translated: who or what do they sound like? best album? where can i find them?
First of all, I gave a glimpse of the album in the post above this. To add, I would say they are essentially 'unstructured' doom. I have two of their albums - "Lead and Ether" which is very depressing in that it entices you to slit your wrists, and "Farmakon" which seems to hold back on the sorrow and perhaps concentrate more on darkness and solitude.

You can find them on Red Stream (that's their label too).

Here is an excerpt from doom-metal.com, which I think is a great site by the way if you want a snapshot of information on doom bands.

One of the ultimate doom bands: ultra slow, very depressive and dark music. In our opinion the master of all Funeral Doom bands. There are few bands who dare to play as slow as Skepticism does. Brilliant use of an organ to create an even more depressive atmosphere. To top it all off, most songs have extremely long running times. It is hard to imagine a more depressive band. The track 'The March and the Stream' (found in two different versions on the 'Ethere' and 'Lead and Aether' albums) is by many considered to be the most depressive song of all time! A personal favorite of most people involved with doom-metal.com and as such highly recommended!

I would wait for a review from Erik - since he considers Farmakon to be one of the year's highlights, I would love to see a review out of him. :)

You really do have huge signatures, and this one has been up for 2 days now, which I think is some sort of record. :tickled:

The biggest I have seen was in the maudlin of the Well forum, during that Opeth v. motW war one dude (or chick, who knows) had about a hundred images of random items that were "> than Opeth." That was funny.