Best Floyd?

I like animals the best followed closely by The Wall, I think they are both great musicians but I think I like Waters better.

Not sure if we're debating best album or song, but I'll give both

Best Song for me is Welcome to the Machine.

Best Album is Dark Side of the Moon, but the Wall & Wish You Were Here are very close. I chose Dark Side because it preceded the other two.

I also like Piper at the Gates, but they changed the face of music when Dark Side came out.

Amused to Death... anyone???

Roger Waters is the best lyrcicist ever in my opinion... no question...

Gilmour is a personal fav. of mine but even I must recognize that Roger Waters was the most important factor in Pink Floyd...they were obviously a band all about the "sum of its parts" and each member is key. However, the vision... and the composition for the absolute gems in their catalogue (1972-1979) was mainly the work of Mr. Waters...

Like I said, Gilmour is one of my all time favourite musicians, but look at the amazing job Snowy White and Doyle Brohmel II did on the In The Flesh DVD...in the end, guitarists can be replaced...its the vision and the songwriting that lasts forever...

Stimuli said:

Gilmour is a personal fav. of mine but even I must recognize that Roger Waters was the most important factor in Pink Floyd...they were obviously a band all about the "sum of its parts" and each member is key. However, the vision... and the composition for the absolute gems in their catalogue (1972-1979) was mainly the work of Mr. Waters...

Like I said, Gilmour is one of my all time favourite musicians, but look at the amazing job Snowy White and Doyle Brohmel II did on the In The Flesh DVD...in the end, guitarists can be replaced...its the vision and the songwriting that lasts forever...

Thats the thing. Gilmour wasnt just another guitarist. He was and still is a legend. The floyd wouldnt have been as successful without him and the same goes if roger hadnt been there from the start.

The only thing in my eyes that goes against roger is the fact he sued the others in the 80's after he left to try and stop them from from using the Pink Floyd name. That was very very bad form on his part. The band wasnt just him.

the live ummagumma disc is excellent. 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' is better here than the original album version from saucerful of secrets. of course, we are also blessed with the superb 'careful with that axe eugene'.

Stimuli said:

Exactly! :)

Lord Byron said:
The only thing in my eyes that goes against roger is the fact he sued the others in the 80's after he left to try and stop them from from using the Pink Floyd name. That was very very bad form on his part. The band wasnt just him.

It could be argued that by the time of 'the wall' and certainly 'the final cut', he was the band. Nick Mason was sacked as a band member and hired as a session keyboard player, and all the music and lyrics were Rogers (apart from the couple of tracks on the wall).
The Final cut was the conclusion of years of a power struggle in which Roger won. I don't really think of it as a PF album, it is really a RW album, and not a good one, in my opinion. Sounds like out takes from the wall.
That being said, Amused to Death is my fav RW album, by a long way.

I always reconed that it was RW that was the 'bad guy', but not too sure anymore, maybe if DG and the others were stronger with him, things would have been differrent. DG treated him like shit at the recent reunion for live8, giving him no say in the tracks chosen. Don't think we will ever really know the full story.

while the other bands were resting their asses and sniffing all sorts of things, one of them was still working, still producing decent material. even richard wright said he had nothing to put into pink floyd after...what?..."the great gig in the sky"? he admits that in the wall live booklet.

theres this guy doing all the work for the band and after they split, he just wants the name to be left alone, he doesnt want the name to be (ab)used without him in the line-up. he wrote almost 3/4 of all pink floyd, doesnt he have the right to ask that?

and after that for years, those three members played HIS songs under that name. :erk: roger waters, yeah, what a cunt, right?