Best Floyd?

I wonder if we'd even be discussing Floyd had Syd Barrett not been committed ??? Probably not, but he was an interesting lyricist

Don Corleone said:
while the other bands were resting their asses and sniffing all sorts of things, one of them was still working, still producing decent material. even richard wright said he had nothing to put into pink floyd after...what?..."the great gig in the sky"? he admits that in the wall live booklet.

theres this guy doing all the work for the band and after they split, he just wants the name to be left alone, he doesnt want the name to be (ab)used without him in the line-up. he wrote almost 3/4 of all pink floyd, doesnt he have the right to ask that?

and after that for years, those three members played HIS songs under that name. :erk: roger waters, yeah, what a cunt, right?

This is very true...I hated on RW a lot until I heard the true stories that were not biased from any perspective. David Gilmour himself said that during DSOTM (way before roger was considered a tyrant) Roger Waters was the only guy pulling all nighters and working for 16 hours a day on the album. The rest of the band would go home after their normal "work hours"...

RW was inarguably the workhorse of PF.

Edit: I doubt they were sniffing things though... Richard Wright was the onyl one rumoured to have done cocaine... they were probably too busy enjoying their race cars, boat houses and greek islands...

'Wish You Were Here' or 'Meddle'... not sure which I'd take to the infamous deserted island... but most likely WYWH

Expected this to be Animals-heavy.....dark and layered like Opeth. Didn't expect all the Meddle love, good to see.

Its true, most of their stuff from the 70s is flawless and its just a matter of taste. Personally I'd say Dark Side is the "best", perfection that still sounds fresh 30+ years later. But Animals is my favorite.

Don Corleone said:
while the other bands were resting their asses and sniffing all sorts of things, one of them was still working, still producing decent material. even richard wright said he had nothing to put into pink floyd after...what?..."the great gig in the sky"? he admits that in the wall live booklet.

theres this guy doing all the work for the band and after they split, he just wants the name to be left alone, he doesnt want the name to be (ab)used without him in the line-up. he wrote almost 3/4 of all pink floyd, doesnt he have the right to ask that?

and after that for years, those three members played HIS songs under that name. :erk: roger waters, yeah, what a cunt, right?

Name to be left alone? Didn't he continue to play the material himself? I even have the Roger Waters - In The Flesh dvd, most of which is PF material.

Oh, and another vote for the usual bests (Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals) - all brilliant records. Never a Wall fan myself though.

the Wall is not a great Floyd album. It has its moments but doesn't hold up to the earlier efforts, probably because it almost a Waters solo record. As those go, I prefer The Final Cut. Amused to Death is great as well.

The Division Bell was the first Floyd album i heard and i still love it. The instrumental track, Marooned, is such an amazing piece of music.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Name to be left alone? Didn't he continue to play the material himself? I even have the Roger Waters - In The Flesh dvd, most of which is PF material.

it's his solo career. and he only plays his songs or ones that he co-wrote.

the point was that he didnt want another album released by "pink floyd" without him in it. to me, thats fair. he wrote most of and the greatest pf songs. he did most of the work and "pinkf loyd" went ahead and played his songs without him :erk: