Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Catch 22

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Ok first things first sorry for the fact that this has already been discussed loads, but I couldn't find anything directly relevant on the first page of a search i did, so I thought I might as well ask this quickly...

I want to get a Hypocrisy album - which one shoudl I buy? As I don't know any of them, I've listed all the ones I could find on their website.

Imagine you had to listen to only one of their albums - which would it be?

Thanks.

Well at least you searched. :)

Abducted is my favorite, but if you're new to Hypocrisy, get 10 Years of Chaos and Confusion, it has a bit of everything.

My first was Live & Clips DVD :D After that, I've bought The Fourth Dimension, Catch22 and the self-titled. Damn I hate bands with loads of good albums, I'm losing all my money...

Yeah. I really need to control myself. A few days ago I was on my way to a record shop to buy another Hypocrisy album (doesn't matter which one 'cos I want them all...), but once I got there I just kept walking because I realized that I can't spend all my money to buy another record right now...

I kind of pissed myself off :D

I voted for Penetralia, because that's my favourite death metal album of all times, it shows perfectly what is swedish death metal and how it should sound, it's a masterpiece and then it got a wonderful coverart ! I've got it on blue vinyl and on cd :cool: I would recommend to start with that, because i fell in love with Hypocrisy from the first listening !

The Heartless said:
My favourite album is the self titled, but in my opinion is not the best choice if you are new to hypocrisy, maybe the best choice for your first album should be abducted.

That's true man! I'm kind of new to Hypocrisy as I've got only three of their albums (The Fourth Dimension, Catch22 and the self-titled), of which the self-titled is my latest purchase. It's a kick ass album but I've always thought that somehow it just isn't exactly what Hypocrisy sounds like. This is funny 'cos Abducted has been the next one on my must-get list :Spin:

I voted for The Fourth Dimension since I believe that is Hypocrisy at its most technical. Its melodic but still a pure death metal album. Later albums Abducted and Hypocrisy are also favs of mine but also more experimental.

Hypocrisy is such a diverse band with so many different sounding albums. My first of theirs was the Inferior Devoties ep and my favorite is a toss-up between The 4th Dimension and Abducted.
Get them both.

I find it interesting that there are so many people who voted the Self-titled album for their favorite, I guess Hypocrisy must be getting a lot of new fans or something, since I know a lot of the older ones basically wrote them off after Abducted. I like the newer stuff, but I still think that The 4th Dimension, Abducted, and The Final chapter personify what Hypocrisy with Peter at the Helm is really about, everything after that just seems to not have the same anger in it. Self-titled seems to be watered down in the heaviness department, the musicianship is great but it definately is a big departure from their core years. Into the Abyss is pretty good, but overall seems like a half-hearted attempt to return to some of the earlier sound, I think unfortunately Peter's greater focus on Pain started to leak over to his last couple albums, they just don't seem to have that old school death metal feel to them, much more accesible sound, a little too polished for my liking. The dirty production seems to suit the band better. The self-titled album kind of sits out on it's own, good music , but I can't say that I was a little dissapointed after having played The Finial Chapter for so long and then picking up that release.

Kind of the same feeling I had when Formulas Fatal to the Flesh came out, I had listened to Entangled in Chaos for so long and then listened to the new MA and it took me a long time to get into it.

I was going to go with Abducted, which is a masterpiece, but NAD has it right - 10 Years would have a good mix of everything.

I think you'll end up getting all of them, though. :devil: :headbang: