best Iron Maiden albums

Iron Maiden
Killers
Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

AKA the first seven. Personally I think Seventh Son is a crap album, but it was my favorite when first getting into them so there's no harm in at least trying it.
Nothing wrong with 7th Son... imo their last great album... but anyways all the 80's album and including Live After Death which everyone forgot to mention is a must have as well...

Number Of The Beast
Powerslave
Brave New World
Somewhere in Time
Piece of Mind
Fear Of The Dark

I SAW THEM IN COSTA RICA YEAHHHHH!!! THE BEST THING COULD EVER HAPPENED IN MY LIFE, IRON MAIDEN FOREVER
Wish I saw them in Costa Rica... I should of perhaps scheduled my vacation to CR when they came around but couldn't because wasn't at my job for 1 year yet... :cry: Anyways wished they did a DVD release for their CR show.. & hope they come back so i can see them in CR...

all of them.
but ill give an order of most essential must haves to least essential must haves, ahah.

Number Of The Beast
Powerslave
Seventh Son
Brave New world
Piece Of Mind
Somewhere In Time
Iron Maiden
Killers
Fear Of The Dark
Dance Of Death
X Factor
No Prayer
A Matter Of Life And Death
Virtual XI

My favorite is by far "the x-factor" but then again Im not big on Iron Maidens style and I dig that album because its less Iron Maiden than they usually are. Its dark and more progressive. This is what I wish Iron Maiden would sound like at all times :)

I've been a Maiden fan for a long time, I'll give you a brief opinion of each album.

1980: Iron Maiden ; Maiden at their rawest , the production is pretty horrible but , at this point, I wouldn't want to hear this album any other way. The songs are all strong on this one. This album kind of has a punk vibe but with better guitar work than most punk albums at the time.

1981: Killers; Once again (as far as I'm concerned), there is no filler on this album and the musicianship seems to be up a notch from their debut, especially Clive Burr's drumming. Martin Birch produced this one and you can hear the leap in quality . This album is straight ahead metal with much less of the punk vibe of IM's debut. Once again, Clive's drumming on this album is amazing and I highly recommend finding youtube clips of Maiden live from this period. Try searching 'Maiden Milan 81' and 'Maiden Bremen 81'.

1982: The Number of the Beast; Maiden loses Di'anno's gruff streetwise sounding voice and gain Dickinson's mainic screams and banshee wails. To me the music kind of loses the manic speed of millitary tightness of Killers but gains a looser more bluesy feel. I guess one might consider 'Invaders 'a filler track but who opens an album with filler? I think it was more of a misjudgement by the band. Sometimes I think 'side a' was actually meant to be 'side b' but the record company screwed it up at pressing. That would explain the running order.

1983: Piece of Mind ; Maiden loses Clive's incredible feel and speedy cymbal bashing and gain Nicko's more deliberate and trained drumming. The music takes on an even less manic feel and you get an almost progressive rock version of Maiden. Even the songs you know are filler on this album are classics. Sun and Steel and Quest for Fire (although for its unintentional cheesiness), are never skipped when I play this album. Also on this album , the guitar work seems a little more subdued then previous releases...almost a tad more Sabbathy , especially on the song 'Revelations'.

1984: Powerslave; A great mix of fast scorchers and epic material. Some things start to get a little overblown and ponderous on this album but that kind of just adds to the epic PowerMetal feel of this album. Once again, there is filler on this album but somehow those songs have grown to be classics as well.

1985: Live After Death; This was my first Maiden album and the beginning of my love affair with this band. This is simply Maiden , but a fatser, louder Maiden . You get to hear most of the classics the band had up until this point so what is not to like? Bruce's voice may be a little too raspy for some though...

1986: Somehwere in Time; It's like an old car with a new paint job. Somehow Maiden manage to use guitar synths and bass synths and not sound like Genesis or Def Leppard. Some songs on this album like ' Sea of Madness' would actually be less heavy without the synths. I also think Maiden's musicianship is top notch on this album, especially the guitar work. You can definately hear Adrian Smith's influence all over this album.

1988: SSoaSS; Maiden actually take off a year and come back refreshed with possibly their best album ever. To me, this album doesn't have a single second of filler and is the most realised Maiden album of them all. This is Maiden at its progressive rock zenith. I would suggest downloading the song Moonchild and playing it a full volume to get psyched for this masterpiece.

Those are essential. After that i would get Brave New World then AMOLAD and then Dance of Death. The remainder of their studio work is very hit and miss.

Dance of Death gets WAY too much hate. I'd rate that over NPFTD, FOTD, the two Blaze albums and the new one. It slightly edges out BNW as well. Slightly.

Agree totally on the (underated)"DOD" album and Paschendale comments....probably my alltime fave Maiden tune.

Though I would put "BNW" slightly ahead of "DOD". IMO-the song Blood Brothers is very close to the Paschendale category.

The great thing about "DOD" is the history and stories about some of the songs. When the CD first came out, for about a month I couldn't help but look up and study interesting and cool shit about Pasch, Montsegur etc.
BTW-Montsegur would make for a great movie!

After many listens I still don't see what people like so much about this band.

WTF!
How can you not like this?

"massacared innocent evil took place
the angels were burning inside"
..."at the gates and the walls of Montsegur
blood on the stone of the Citadel"

"see the spirit on the wind
across the lines beyond the hill
friend and foe will meet again
those who died in Paschendale"

www.passchendaelethemovie.com

Metal at its best...when killer music is matched with these types of stories and lyrics.

Dance of Death kinda left a bad taste for me because it was the first album I bought that had the terrible "copy protection" technology. This wonderful innovation was based on corrupting some of the audio data on the disc and making it unreadable by PC CD drives. It worked even better than they intended because not only wasn't I able to listen to it with my PC, my CD player wouldn't play it either. In the end I had to get it from a torrent just so I could listen to the album I bought. Had I just pirated it immediately I wouldn't have had a trouble in the world (also I wouldn't have had that hideous cover art in any physical form).

Luckily none of this crap is around anymore, I guess the record companies realized it's not good for business to actually force people to illegal downloads...

The album itself is good, IMO the second best "new Bruce era" album after BNW (AMOLAD is OK too). Paschendale is indeed one of Maiden's absolute best. The predictably mediocre single cut Wildest Dreams and the forced Fear of the Dark -wannabe title track are only songs I don't really care for, the rest is solid.

WTF!
How can you not like this?

Metal at its best...when killer music is matched with these types of stories and lyrics.

Simply not like them. The lyrics may be good but the music isn't.

Now, good lyrics and good music from Iron Maiden can be found in songs like 'Alexander The Great', 'Die With Your Boots On', 'Quest for Fire', 'Where Eagles Dare', 'Powerslave', 'The Prisoner'/'Back in The Village', 'Charlot The Harlot'/'22, Acacia Avenue', 'Aces High'/'Tailgunner', 'Run Silent, Run Deep', 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' and more. History, cinema, TV, philosophy, archeology, mythology, what else you can ask for?

haven't we opened a can of worms here this thread could go on another 25 years just like the band
all of their albums are must have's

haven't we opened a can of worms here this thread could go on another 25 years just like the band
all of their albums are must have's

Well we have to do something, bashing Metallica is not fun anymore :devil:, and btw NO not all the albums are must have only the first seven :worship:

Must haves:

Number of the Beast
Powerslave
Killers
Somewhere in Time
Piece of Mind

Next:

Iron Maiden
7th Son
Brave New World

Side note: They have regional t-shirts in their online store. Just ordered up a Canada and New York shirt today.