Best Katatonia for a new listener

It's safe to check out 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' (their newest) and also of course 'Tonight's Decision' and 'Discouraged Ones'. (Going back in chronological order). The vocals get more active and the music a bit more active as well in the newer material, while 'Discouraged Ones' is more droning and has that undeniable downer feeling. All are fantastic though, so it's up to you. www.theendrecords.com has LFDGD for a good price I've seen too, if you decide on that.. ($13.50 including shipping I believe).

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Hehe, thanx, I live in the uk tho so may not be able to get them :)

Blimy it's not that backwards round here, and they were released on an English record label :)

Anyways I would also recommend ordering from the end as they are fast and cheap and will deliver to the UK for a reasonable price, so you may as well get Brave Murder Day, and Dance of the December Souls while your at it.

MindMorgue.

It depends what sort of vocals and song structures you want to hear.

You can't really go wrong with 'Brave Murder Day' (Mikael's growls), I think everyone will agree there...

The newer stuff (clean vocals) is just as good in my opinion, with the exception of 'Discouraged Ones' which doesn't quite hit me like the others, although I still love it. I think their crowning achievement is 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down', one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard.

Originally posted by godisanathiest
How much is cheap?

As the man said LFDGD is $13.50
Brave Murder Day is $10.00
Dance is $11.00
Postage for upto 4 cds is $5.00
which is $48.50 or £33.27 - which is not as cheap as I was expecting cos the dollor is weak against the pound at the moment :(

MindMorgue.

I think it depends on which way the new listener is coming from. Like, if they usually listen to only death vocals you'd refer them to something older. Right? If they usually only listen to...I don't know, like a ton of bands out right now with clean vocals and you're trying to slowly bring them over the death vocals style, you'd have them get LFDGD and then if they turned out to love it, then they could buy backwards until they bought that first death vocals...well, OK. Maybe it wouldn't be that easy.

I don't know. I couldn't imagine what it must sound like to hear death vocals for the first time anymore. I think I may have thought it sounded...REALLY FUCKING AWESOME! Hahahaha!

But, yeah. I think it depends on which genre direction the new listener is coming from to decide which albums the best for them.

Lynn

"12 morbid ways to die her beauty scares me."

definately LFDGD, my fav album of the year, it comes in a cool paper four fold case thingy. it always annoys me when i see that album in HMV and no one has bought it, theres like 5 copies of it stacked up!!!! oh and you can get Tonight's Decision on a re-release with bonus tracks for £9 from HMV too, too cheap. i think you will have trouble getting Discouraged Ones as the manufacturer went broke so you can only get it in second hand shops or the net etc.