Best live gig you've seen ??

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
What is the best live gig you ever have seen?
Lucky to be an 'old' guy I've seen quit some metal in the 80's.
Best concerts I can recall are the 1987 Aardschok day in Zwolle (Holland).
there we got Laaz Rockit, Celtic Frost, Crimson Glory , Metal Church, Anthrax and Metallica in their good days. I also saw the Aardschok in 84 or 85 with Tokio Blade, Venom and the fresh Metallica...a 1989 gig of Lizzy Borden in the Biebop (Belgium) was great. Best of all I found a little festival in the Lux, Herenthout (Belgium) 1986. There were Scavenger, Agent Steel, Overkill and Anthrax. There also were guys running round in the public from Savage Grace and Heir Apparent. Took some pics with them, and upto today I can hit myselve for loosing these pics... Well, I don't remember if these in fact were the best concerts I've ever seen, but had the most fun there anyway... :headbang:

I've seen Biohazard last year and it was great and recently this May I've seen the great Suffocation with Dying Fetus.

This aint relevant to the thread but

The Only Reason Men Talk To You Is Because They Want To Get Laid
:lol:

It´s not possible for me to name just one favourite gig, but I´d like to mention

- Metallica and supporting act Metal Church in January 1987 in Essen (my first metal concert ever)
- Anthrax and supporting act Testament in fall 1987 in Essen (I liked Testament even better than Anthrax - no surprise, since "The Legacy", which had just been released a few months before, is one of my favourite thrash metal albums of all times!)
- Megadeth with supporting acts Sanctuary, Testament and Flotsam & Jetsam in 1988 in Essen (I wouldn´t say that Megadeth blew me away, but the sets of Testament and Flotsam & Jetsam were just great!)
- Coroner and Watchtower as co-headliners + supporting act Poltergeist in March 1990 in Düsseldorf
- Faith No More + supporting act Prong in May 1990 in Bielefeld
- Nightwish in October 2000 in Bochum

However, there are some non-metal concerts (those by Kari Bremnes, Mari Boine and The Bulgarian Voices "Angelite") which I enjoyed even more than any metal concert.

Queensryche / Metallica in 1989, supporting Operation Mindcrime and Justice For All. A blistering, intense show.

Maiden / Halford / Queensryche in summer of 2000. The "reunion" tour for Bruce & Maiden, as well as Halford's return to glory. A great metal show.

Dio / Motorhead / Maiden, summer 2003. Although Maiden was weak that night, Dio was AWESOME & I finally got a chance to witness the live power of the almighty Motorhead!

Kind Diamond / Sepultura / Sacred Reich in New York City, Halloween 1989.
The King lived up to his name on that night. Dark, majestic beauty!

Slayer / Megadeth / Anthrax / Alice in Chains. Summer 2001.
Slayer easily blew everyone away....but, little did we know, Alice would soon become an intense monster in their own right.

My Dying Bride, headline show. 1997.
The best "90s" band in their dark glory. One of the Last shows with original line-up.

Impossible to pick one... I've seen well over 500 shows in my time!

Any Motorhead show! (seen them 10+ times) :worship:
Any Maiden show (seen them 10+times
Any Metallica show up to 1991 ( I stopped going when the big attitude shift happened)
Almost any metal show in the 80s... ahhh... I MISS the eighties!

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Impossible to name just one.....

Dio/Dokken - Last in Line/Tooth and Nail tour
Yngwie/Lita Ford/Black-n-Blue...... Odyssee tour for YM
The Mertons - saw this band (similar to Son Volt) at a local bar. This band is by far the best bar band I have ever seen. Great grassroots rock and roll. They completely kicked my ass.
Brother Cane - Wishpool tour. Another band not metal, but Damon Johnson is one of the best frontmen that has ever lived. Great rock and roll band.
Pantera Wrathchild America ....... Cowboys From Hell/Climbing The Walls tour
Prog Power II (Balance of Power, Symphony X, Angel Dust) Angel Dust absolutely blew the walls out of that place. Awesome live band !!
Prog Power IV (Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Pagans Mind) I have never seen a concert (probably never will again) with three acts that are that elite. All three of those bands were practically perfect at reproducing what they do in the studio.

Bryant

Bryant said:
The Mertons - saw this band (similar to Son Volt)

You a Son Volt fan, Bryant? I dig their first album, along with Wilco's first album.

Bryant said:
Pantera Wrathchild America ....... Cowboys From Hell/Climbing The Walls tour

I have a video boot of Wrathchild from the last night of that tour. Pantera comes out and messe with them at the end of the their set.

Greeno said:
You a Son Volt fan, Bryant? I dig their first album, along with Wilco's first album.

I have a video boot of Wrathchild from the last night of that tour. Pantera comes out and messe with them at the end of the their set.
I dig the rockers on the first album "Trace" like "Drown" and "Route." If most of their stuff was like that, I would be a fan.

The WA show I saw was on Shannon's birthday. He partied his ass off with the crowd after the set and during Pantera. It's ashamed Pantera turned out being a shit band. Though they couldn't hang with WA, they still kicked complete ass. Phil was a good showman back then, though we argued before the show. In fact, I said it was "Climbing the walls" tour, but in fact, "3-D" was just released not long before that show....
Have you seen Angel Dust ? Man I wasn't exagerrating how good they are/were. Dude they ripped my head off. Dirk Thurisch (lead singer) lives and breathes metal.

Bryant

I would have to say its a tie between...

- KISS' first night in Melbourne on the Farewell Tour. Because I'd only seen them once before when I was only 14 in 1997 and had been waiting 4 years to see them again now that I was a much bigger fan.
- KISS' 2nd night in Melbourne this year. Because I was only a few feet from the stage and they played songs like Creatures, War Machine, Unholy, Tears Are Falling, God Gave Rock & Roll To You, Christine Sixteen, Makin Love, I Want You... it was certainly a setlist for the FANS!

Other than that my other fave concerts have been my first KISS one just coz it was the first concert I ever saw and made me the rokker I am today, the first show of this tour because it was just as good as the 2nd night (but the 2nd night wins for me because I was closer, but still on the floor both nights), and the 3rd night this year because it was a special show in a small theatre, no pyro, no theatrics, and they played over 25 songs that were nearly all from the first few albums... including stuff they had never ever played live before.

You might have guessed, I quite like KISS haha. Personally nothing beats a KISS show for me, it's everything I think a rock show should be.

Best live gig? I don't know...

Dio in Wacken... why? Because Dio :p
Death Angel in Pratteln last year, a perfect gig (it's on the bonus DVD of the new album)
Twisted Sister in Balingen last year ago, pure entertainment
Iced Earth in Lyon for the Horrow Show tour, a 3 hours long show!
Grave Digger 20th anniversary concert in 2001, unbelievable setlist
Slayer in Balingen 2 years ago, the best live sound I've ever heard
Saxon in Wacken (the gig used for their DVD)
Candlemass in Balingen, incredible return of the Doom legend
every time Virgin Steele played
Manilla Road at KIT festival this year

Now, my favorite live gig, not necessaraly the best, but my favorite : Judas Priest in Italy this year. Don't ask me why ;)

Metallica - Puppets tour

Dirty Looks - in a small local bar and the ripped the place apart!

Ramones - in the same bar years later

Nirvana - at the 9:30 Club (small bar in Wash DC) a couple months before Nevermind came out

Too many to list. :)
Saw some bad ones also. Like White Zombie when they were still mainly a cover band, they were sooooo bad.

Bryant said:
Impossible to name just one.....

Prog Power II (Balance of Power, Symphony X, Angel Dust) Angel Dust absolutely blew the walls out of that place. Awesome live band !!
Prog Power IV (Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Pagans Mind) I have never seen a concert (probably never will again) with three acts that are that elite. All three of those bands were practically perfect at reproducing what they do in the studio.

Bryant

I wished they moved that Prog Power show to Europe, also the line up for the next PP seems awesome !! Or at least put the shows on video !!

carnut said:
What is the best live gig you ever have seen?
Lucky to be an 'old' guy I've seen quit some metal in the 80's.
Best concerts I can recall are the 1987 Aardschok day in Zwolle (Holland).
there we got Laaz Rockit, Celtic Frost, Crimson Glory , Metal Church, Anthrax and Metallica in their good days.
I was there dude!!

And my favorite concert was on that day. Metal Church!! What an ass kicking gig that was. I was going crazy!!

Another one of my favorite concert was also mentioned already;

Sieges Even at the Headway festival 4th of April 2004.
That one I will never forget.

Hawk said:
I was there dude!!

And my favorite concert was on that day. Metal Church!! What an ass kicking gig that was. I was going crazy!!

Damn Hawk, I banged my head off with Metal Church that day !!!!!
We probably were in the front together somewhere :headbang:

Trixxi Trash said:
I would have to say its a tie between...

- KISS' first night in Melbourne on the Farewell Tour. Because I'd only seen them once before when I was only 14 in 1997 and had been waiting 4 years to see them again now that I was a much bigger fan.
- KISS' 2nd night in Melbourne this year. Because I was only a few feet from the stage and they played songs like Creatures, War Machine, Unholy, Tears Are Falling, God Gave Rock & Roll To You, Christine Sixteen, Makin Love, I Want You... it was certainly a setlist for the FANS!

Other than that my other fave concerts have been my first KISS one just coz it was the first concert I ever saw and made me the rokker I am today, the first show of this tour because it was just as good as the 2nd night (but the 2nd night wins for me because I was closer, but still on the floor both nights), and the 3rd night this year because it was a special show in a small theatre, no pyro, no theatrics, and they played over 25 songs that were nearly all from the first few albums... including stuff they had never ever played live before.

You might have guessed, I quite like KISS haha. Personally nothing beats a KISS show for me, it's everything I think a rock show should be.

KISS was my first concert as well... in 1982! Before the makeup came off.

I should have mentioned the reunion tour... that definitely ranks right up there for me. KISS ALWAYS puts on a HELL of a show! My only beef with them now is that they have Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer wearing Ace and Peter's cotumes/makeup. They should either come up with new characters for them, or take the makeup off again. If they come around here, I'll go see them again!

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Well...

STRATOVARIUS rocked both times I saw them (in 2000 and 2003).
Also MAIDEN/DIO/MOTORHEAD, I got to hear my favorite Maiden song: Revelations and it was the first show me & my fiance went to together :)
HAMMERFALL in 2003 was great
ROGER WATERS in 2002, amazing show!
KANSAS in 2002, they rocked! I was VERY impressed and Steve Walsh can still sing.
ANTHRAX opening for Pantera in 1997