Best live gig you've seen ??

carnut said:
I wished they moved that Prog Power show to Europe, also the line up for the next PP seems awesome !! Or at least put the shows on video !!

I feel the same way about that first one you named. I do feel lucky though that every year, Atlanta gets a killer show. I have seen so many great bands that I woudn't get to ever see normally.

bryant

carnut said:
Damn Hawk, I banged my head off with Metal Church that day !!!!!
We probably were in the front together somewhere :headbang:
Nope. I was in the mosh pit!!
I remember coming into the moshpit that day during the Laaz Rockit gig and this huge guy with a red bandana around his head smacks me right onto my mouth with the back of his hand! :lol:

I had to get to the bathroom for a little while ;)
Then I jumped right back in :)

Bryant said:
I feel the same way about that first one you named. I do feel lucky though that every year, Atlanta gets a killer show. I have seen so many great bands that I woudn't get to ever see normally.

bryant
That is going to be pretty damn fun ..... and theres going to be a HELL of alot of driving hahahaha :D it will take just about 24 hours But it will be worth it I'm sure!

Hawk said:
Nope. I was in the mosh pit!!
I remember coming into the moshpit that day during the Laaz Rockit gig and this huge guy with a red bandana around his head smacks me right onto my mouth with the back of his hand! :lol:

I had to get to the bathroom for a little while ;)
Then I jumped right back in :)

Man, sooo long ago, I even can't recall there was a moshpit !!
I only know Metal Church was really awesome.....

Well, after million concerts you guys combined saw, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've seen some 10 concerts in total... :Smug:
Whatever, I consider that a success, since I'm living in Croatia, where no one comes to play... :D

Anyway:
DOOMSWORD in Budapest - they opened for Falconer in January this year, but in my eyes totally stole the show! The 45 minutes of their performance made my adrenaline level so high like never before, my head almost fell off the shoulders and I could barely talk afterwards :D

JAG PANZER in Milano - despite the fact that they played in front of poor 150 people, they did an amazing show! Me and my buddies went ballistic in the front row!

SAXON in Zagreb - these guys really smoked thru their 2 and a half hour set, despite me not being their biggest fan, it was a great and sincere show, much more than Iron Maiden's a few months earlier.

I just wait the moment when I'll get the chance to see Riot and Rage, after that I don't need to see anyone... :)

carnut said:
Man, sooo long ago, I even can't recall there was a moshpit !!
I only know Metal Church was really awesome.....
The Church ruled that day although Metallica were quite good Metal Church won the day as far as I am concerned. BTW We were there with 2 busses full of the Dynamo club regulars :headbang:

SickBoy said:
Well, after million concerts you guys combined saw, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've seen some 10 concerts in total... :Smug:
Whatever, I consider that a success, since I'm living in Croatia, where no one comes to play... :D
I see what you mean...

SickBoy said:
Anyway:
DOOMSWORD in Budapest - they opened for Falconer in January this year, but in my eyes totally stole the show! The 45 minutes of their performance made my adrenaline level so high like never before, my head almost fell off the shoulders and I could barely talk afterwards :D

JAG PANZER in Milano - despite the fact that they played in front of poor 150 people, they did an amazing show! Me and my buddies went ballistic in the front row!
Although I have been a Jag Panzer fan since I bought the first album "Ample Destruction" in the early 80s, I only managed to see them live once :erk:

That was at Wacken 1999. And they ruled man. What a great live band. The Tyrant is an incredible singer!

SickBoy said:
SAXON in Zagreb - these guys really smoked thru their 2 and a half hour set, despite me not being their biggest fan, it was a great and sincere show, much more than Iron Maiden's a few months earlier.

I just wait the moment when I'll get the chance to see Riot and Rage, after that I don't need to see anyone... :)
Saxon are definatly back on track. The metal track that is! Great live bands. Their gig are always a joy to watch.

SickBoy said:

I never saw Jag Panzer live...I would gladly trade in a lot of the concerts I saw to see them.

Hawk said:
The Church ruled that day although Metallica were quite good Metal Church won the day as far as I am concerned. BTW We were there with 2 busses full of the Dynamo club regulars

We had a full bus coming from Belgium, Dessel, where now Graspop Metal festival is...Must have been a lot of them guys on that bus....

I know there is a bootleg of the first Metallica show on Aardschok. A friend of me has it, it is signed by all members of Metallica, including Cliff Burton...Now, do you remember the time Metallica signed bootlegs ???

Lets see, I'm only going to put best whole gig, that include openers and everything. First one would be the Gimme Ed tour with Motorhead, Dio and Maiden. I don't think any tour could top that except maybe this years Ozzfest with only Slayer, Priest, BLS, and Sabbath. The second best show I saw was the Jagermeister Tour with Arch Enemy, Hatebreed (not a fan, but was pretty impressed) and Slayer. The third best was Porcupine Tree and Opeth. Then Evergrey, Children of Bodom and Iced Earth. And finally Symphony X and Blind Guardian. I saw Priest and it was great, but some how Lit opened for them and they suck ball and I saw Hammerfall and Dio, again great performances but there was a shitty band on the bill, Kings X.

Iced Madness has good taste! I was at Maiden's Ed tour and the 2 shows @ Universal, also at IE, COb and evergrey show! Hands down the best show I've ever seen (not sound wise but overall) has to be the US Festival in 1983. Van Halen, Scorpions, Ozzy, Joe Walsh, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Triumph and Quiet Riot for the metal day and Men at work, Inxs, the clash, straycats, english beat, oingo boingo, wall of voodoo the divinyls and flock of seagulls on alternative day. wish we could have more of those festivals in So Cal. \m/

JonnyD said:
That is going to be pretty damn fun ..... and theres going to be a HELL of alot of driving hahahaha :D it will take just about 24 hours But it will be worth it I'm sure!
Oh dude that blows !!! My drive will be about 1.5 hours so I am lucky. It will kick ass though. It does every year.

Bryant

For me it was the Slayer/Biohazard/White Zombie show at Sundance in Bayshore Long Island... too bad i can barely remember the show lol but i remember i had a good time except when i drank JD and Beer that night and had to puke... Another show that sticks in my mind was the Crumbsuckers reunion show also at Sundance.. Great show.. Great band.. too bad they didnt continue and half the band turned into poseurs... if you never heard of them try to pick up their Beast on My Back album ( i think it was on the Combat label) if you can find it.. I dont think its in print anymore but im sure you can find it on Ebay or some used CD store.. I also got to see the great Sacred Reich play with Pantera in Roseland (i think it was 1990) ... I could of went to the Ozzy/Metallica show back in 1986 during the Ultimate Sin/Master tour but for some idiotic reason i didnt go (I was kind of young back then i guess thats why and had no one really to go with) .. so for whoever saw Metallica in their glory days before their descent i salute you... Did anyone see Ozzy with Randy at all? If i could of seen that then that would of been my all time show I would say... I also would of loved to have seen Maiden during the Powerslave tour or the shows for the Live After Death album... back in 1985.. Priest during the Screaming for Vengeance tour must of been great... <shrugs>

Not been to many gigs, but it tends to mean that when I go to see a band I'm up for it. No standing at the the back with arms folded..
Best gig ever: Judas Priest, Painkiller tour, Aston Villa Leisure centre. Just a perfect night.
Second best would have to be Saxon at Bloodstock 04. Then maybe Marshall Law in a pub in Stafford.

zeppelin said:
I saw that show , it was the In the flesh tour. He played with Snowy White of Thin Lizzy and Doyle Bramhall , two of my favourite guitarists. Great show indeed :headbang: :headbang:

Yeah, you could tell they spent quite a bit of money to set those shows! I was hoping Doyle would play at the show I went to, but he didn't. His wife, the back up singer - can't remember her name, wasn't there either.

I forgot to mention MISFITS in 2000 on my list. With Graves, Jerry, Doyle and Chud, their best line up IMO :headbang:

IcedMadness said:
L And finally Symphony X and Blind Guardian.

I should have mentioned SX. They are so perfect. I think if one of those guys hit a sour note, they would have nightmares for a week. There are a handful of bands on their level of professionalism, but no one better because you can't top perfection. They played the whole Odyssee song at PPIV as an encore. It was absolutely amazing !!

Bryant

Yea I should have mentioned Symphony X. They are perfect live. I have seen them quite a few times.

I must say that the US Progpwer bill looks way better this year than the European bill. With exeption of course of that tired, boring, always present Pain of Salvation.

It seems you can't go to a progmetal festival without running into them o_O.
Especially Sept 17 looks great. And of course Adagio the next day.

Hawk said:
Yea I should have mentioned Symphony X. They are perfect live. I have seen them quite a few times.

I must say that the US Progpwer bill looks way better this year than the European bill. With exeption of course of that tired, boring, always present Pain of Salvation.

It seems you can't go to a progmetal festival without running into them o_O.
Especially Sept 17 looks great. And of course Adagio the next day.

Europe normally kicks the shit out of the US as far as festivals go, but the promoter of PP USA Glenn Harveston is a magician. He comes through every year with a great lineup. If I were to win the lottery, I would send him some money just for the hell of it.

bryant