Best metal amp for 1000-1500usd

Philthy

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2017
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum, so forgive me if I have this thread in the wrong section.

Anyway, I am looking towards a tube amp that can do thrash really well (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Overkill), as well as NWOBHM and Dio stuff. I occasionally dabble in the blues and clean, but essentially it just has to do clean like Call of Ktulu and Fade to Black decently.

I play mostly standard, and might go as low as D Standard.

I live in a college dorm, so no 4x12 (I need the space and my back lol) - only 2x12 at max. Also, I would be mainly using the amp for the weekends in the university's rehearsal spaces.

So 100-120w would be overkill (i think, since wattage and volume dont go hand in hand).

Thanks in advance!

Slayer and Megadeth are on Marshall amps. Exodus has used ENGL amps in the past I think, don't know about Overkill, nor Metallica (but Metallica always sound like shit... so who cares).

I'm not a Marshall fan, so I'm not sure good lower wattage stuff with that kinda tone exist? The Kemper is clearly a nice suggestion, but you'd have to find a used one to be within your budget (and even then I'm not sure?)

I think I've seen a video of the Joyo amps and they have a "Marshall" voice mini amp (or should I say "English amp", it could be an Orange amp). I think you should check them out.

I think it's their Meteor model, see this video from Ola:

However, if you gig with friends, that might not be powerful enough.

You can get a used Mesa Boogie 25 watt rectifier for a fairly decent price. Or even a Peavey 6505MH. Pair that with the mesa 2x12 and I think you'd have a solid amp setup to jam.

I recently scored a used ENGL Blackmore signature for around $1100 and it's quite possibly my favorite head ever. It's super versatile. It has no problem going from crystal clear cleans to Cannibal Corpse and everything in between.

I'll never not be a fan of 5150's, and they make a 2x12 of it. It's one of the most used amps on records and has stood the test of time for tours as well. Although I will say I'll never sell my Kemper (if you can afford one). You'd either have to run it directly into a sound board/PA live or buy the powered version and get a cab with it.

Another vote for the 5150III. I think the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 is great, but in a really loud situation, you may find yourself underpowered. The Kemper is a good choice, but may be overkill for some people.

Mu sugestion is EVH 5150III LBX.It's a 15 wat head but loud as fuck.I have one and I'm realy satisfied.Matched cab works prety well with this head.And all together is half the price of any other above, roughly.