Best Metal Voice!

Aaaah, another difficult question!
I may have to get back to you on this one, I have to go in a second and I'll need much more time to decide!

Tentatively, Tony Kakko, Hansi Kursch and.... uh.....
Never mind, too difficult! I'll try again in a bit. :lol:

This is difficult, there are so many but my favs are
Bruce Dickinson ( Iron Maiden )
Russel Allen ( Symphony X )
Jorn Lande ( Masterplan, Jorn )
Rob Rock ( Impellitteri )
Jioti Parcharidis ( Human Fortress, Victory ) Very underated, one of the most powerful vocalists i've heard.
Daniel Heiman ( Lost horizon, Heed )
Mark Boals ( Yngwie Malmsteen, Ring of fire )

If we're talking about the 3 ultimate metal vocalists I'm with Shredgirl on the holy trinity that is Dio, Halford, Dickinson

Good point Andy, i just missed the two obvious i love Dio and Halford. Steve Lee from Gotthard was awesome, one of my favs.

Dickinson and Dio get my vote. Epic voices for epic music.

I'm pretty sure I heard decent METAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL voice on Total Wipeout last weeend too! Lol.

Lol i seen that Power metal screamer on Wipeout. I think he was from Southamton, maybe he knows Steve :D

Wait, what? Which episode was this on? I may have to take a look. :p

I'd say there's too many amazing vocalists to name 3, even 4 might be a push. I still think...
- Tony Kakko
- Hansi Kursch

Deserve 2 of the spots - although that could just by my preferences for the bands. As for the others, I'm still lost in a sea of brilliant vocalists. So, notably:
- Dio - Of course.
- Dickinson - Although I'm still warming to him, not listened to much of his stuff before...
- Tomi Joutsen [Amorphis, 2005-Present] - Very adept at both clean singing and growling... Don't really know what it is, but I love his voice.
- Jorn Lande [Masterplan] - Just complements the music very well.

Going further into the realms of growled vocals, Johan Hegg [Amon Amarth] can produce some of the most easily-distinguishable growled vocals I've ever heard.

If I had to pick 2 from those last 5 to go with Kakko & Kursch, I'd probably go for Joutsen and Dickinson - but it's a tough choice.

for me it's got to be Tim "Ripper" Owens. His stuff with Iced Earth is just... wow. Heiman and Jorn are right up there too.

Jari Maenpää

He's way up there for me too!

I'm not gonna try to make a list of my own because I don't think I'd be able to narrow it down below, like, 8.

But I do want to throw Tobias Sammet's name in this thread, since I haven't seen anyone mention him so far. :D

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say that at least Roy Khan, Jorn Lande, and Tobias Sammet would be on my list - not only because I love their voices, but because I could hold a good argument as to why their voices are so great.

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say that at least Roy Khan, Jorn Lande, and Tobias Sammet would be on my list - not only because I love their voices, but because I could hold a good argument as to why their voices are so great.

Well now that you've said this, we're all going to need to hear your arguments. :D *listening*

How are you not all finding this impossible?! :lol:

Major thumbs up for the holy trinity of Dio, Halford and Dickinson though. Messers Sammet, Kürsch, Adams, Heiman, Garavello, Scheepers, Kotipelto, Isfeldt, Doogie White, Ian Gillan and Olaf Heyer get an honourable mention for me. But even those related to the metal genre deserve a nod: Freddie Mercury, Brian Johnson, Robert Plant, Paul Stanley, Klaus Meine, Axl Rose, Roger Daltrey, Ronnie Van Zant, Justin Hawkins, Jack Black, etc all have a good set of pipes.

Man I could go on forever :D

One day when I'm not exhausted :lol:

I would like to hear your argument on them too. :)

I would most likely agree with you as I already put Khan in as my fourth, and I love his voice, same with Jorn and Tobias, they are 3 very excellent singers and have amazing voices. :)

Well, I'm no vocal coach, but regardless... :lol:

Roy's just got a wonderfully unique voice - his enunciation is wonderful and although his range isn't what it used to be, he can easily find a way around it - listening to Poetry for the Poisoned, you can hear just how gifted he is, working his way through those really gentle high notes. He's got excellent pitch recognition. I guess what I love most about it is just how, despite not having the widest "power metal singer" range, he can still do so many things so well that a lot of other singers pale at in comparison.

Tobi just has an amazing vocal range, he's been doing it since he was a teenager and over a dozen albums later the guy's still able to hit those crazy high notes so well. His soft singing isn't as good as Khan's, in my opinion, but the two guys are pretty different singers to begin with. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly I like about him so much - at first I thought he sounded like Bruce Dickinson (like most others) but I honestly think he's much better than him, even in Bruce's prime.

Jorn... come on, listen to that voice. I'd kill to have that bluesy, hard rock scream ability that he has. And yet he can sing gently too! The guy's a monster on the microphone. Great range and he just has that sound in his voice that everyone seems to love - the end of Avantasia's Scarecrow song still gives me chills to listen to, as does his work on the longer songs of Ayreon's 01011001. That rasp in his voice is always something that has mystified me, I've never figured out how singers are able to do that, let alone do it without destroying their throats. Like Chity's work on Firewind :lol:

Well, I'm no vocal coach, but regardless... :lol:

Roy's just got a wonderfully unique voice - his enunciation is wonderful and although his range isn't what it used to be, he can easily find a way around it - listening to Poetry for the Poisoned, you can hear just how gifted he is, working his way through those really gentle high notes. He's got excellent pitch recognition. I guess what I love most about it is just how, despite not having the widest "power metal singer" range, he can still do so many things so well that a lot of other singers pale at in comparison.

Tobi just has an amazing vocal range, he's been doing it since he was a teenager and over a dozen albums later the guy's still able to hit those crazy high notes so well. His soft singing isn't as good as Khan's, in my opinion, but the two guys are pretty different singers to begin with. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly I like about him so much - at first I thought he sounded like Bruce Dickinson (like most others) but I honestly think he's much better than him, even in Bruce's prime.

Jorn... come on, listen to that voice. I'd kill to have that bluesy, hard rock scream ability that he has. And yet he can sing gently too! The guy's a monster on the microphone. Great range and he just has that sound in his voice that everyone seems to love - the end of Avantasia's Scarecrow song still gives me chills to listen to, as does his work on the longer songs of Ayreon's 01011001. That rasp in his voice is always something that has mystified me, I've never figured out how singers are able to do that, let alone do it without destroying their throats. Like Chity's work on Firewind :lol:
Bravo. :)

Though Khan still has that range, he just doesn't use it as much in the later albums because the music isn't written for it, but live he can hit those notes when playing those older songs just as easily now as he could back then. :)