Best of 2008? Most anticipated albums of 2009?

RedCriss

Pyrawarrior
Feb 21, 2008
Ankh Morpork
The new year has just begun and I guess we're all looking forward to hearing anything from Pyramaze with Urban on vocals - be it an old or a new song...

But before we take a look at the future, I'm curious which releases have blown your mind away in 2008?

My Top 3:
  • PYRAMAZE - Immortal
  • SERENITY - Fallen Sanctuary
  • Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God

I got 'Fallen Sanctuary' as a Christmas present from my honey (she's the best!) and I listen to this album constantly ever since, it's amazing... and these guys are from Austria! :)

So, now let's also take a closer look at 2009: which possibly/hopefully great albums are going to be released this year?

My most anticipated album of 2009 is probably the new Bloodbound - will be released in March/April! 'Nosferatu' is awesome, but I don't like 'Book Of The Dead' that much - mainly because of the vocals. But now as Urban is back I guess this album will rule again!

Extremely easy!

Scar Symmetry = Holographic Universe
Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary
Pyramaze - Immortal
Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man

My most anticipated 2009 release at the moment is the Iced Earth - Something Wicked Boxed Set (which will include Barlow rerecording Framing Armageddon, nd the Overture of the Wicked EP for whatever ridiculous reason)

my favorite releases of 2008 were
Pyramaze - Immortal
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thundergod
Belphegor - Bondage Goat Zombie
Krisiun - Southern Storm

my most anticipated release of 2009 is Vile - Wolf at your Door... i cant wait till its released
it will surely be my favorite album of 2009 :)

My favorites from 2008:

1.Communic - Payment of Existence
2. Evergrey - Torn
3. Pyramaze - Immortal
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Brainstorm - Downburst
Sabaton - The Art of War

Last 3 are in no particular order.

Right now I don't know of many 09 albums. I'm waiting for Adagio - Archangels In Black, the 2 songs that have been released sound amazing. Also I'm waiting for Edgend's debut album (they're a kickass prog power band from Israel). From what I've already heard by them that will probably be my favorite this year. I'll definately try the new Bloodbound (although shamefully I have yet to hear any of their albums, just a song or 2).

Faves of the year...

Iced Earth - The Crucible Of Man
Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary
Pyramaze - Immortal
Brainstorm - Downburst
Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Firewind - The Premonition
Power Quest - Master Of Illusion
Kiuas - The New Dark Age
Metallica – Death Magnetic
Crystallion - Hattin
Soulspell – A Legacy Of Honor

Hornorable mentions go to...

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls (solid, but not nearly as enjoyable as their last album, Waiting In The Wings)
Almah - Fragile Existence (Angra singer Edu Falaschi's band, much better than the debut...this actually has an Angra-esque sound)

Disappointments go to...

Opeth - Watershed (boring)
Rage - Carved In Stone (the last album, Speak Of The Dead, was brilliant, but this sounds uninspired/stale)

Looking forward to in 2009...

Adagio - Archangels In Black
Dark Moor - Autumnal
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
ReinXeed - Higher
Vision Divine - 9 Degrees West Of The Moon
Wuthering Heights - Salt
Primal Fear - I6.6
Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
Sirenia - The 13th Floor
Anthropia - Chain Reaction
Brainstorm - TBA
Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR (maybe?)
Wintersun - Time (maybe?)

...and many others I'm unaware of at the moment ;)

Looking forward to Bloodbound, Evil Masquerade, Wuthering Heights, Adagio and of course, the debut album from Sons Of Seasons.

Right now I don't know of many 09 albums.

Me neither, that was one reason why I asked... to get a glimpse of what's ahead.

Wuthering Heigths will release a new album? Sounds good, I really dig what I heard of their last albums yet! Also Framing Armageddon with Matt Barlow on vocals sounds great, though I still don't like The Crucible Of Man too much...

My most anticipated 2009 release at the moment is the Iced Earth - Something Wicked Boxed Set (which will include Barlow rerecording Framing Armageddon, nd the Overture of the Wicked EP for whatever ridiculous reason)
IF it actually comes out...SPV is having some serious issues...

Metal-Rules interview with Jon

Now it looks like that boxed set may never happen because of SPV’s financial state. It’s kind of a bummer because I would have put those songs on there had I known this going to happen and I was told it was definitely going to happen.

There was going to be a DVD showing the making of CRUCIBLE, and even some of the FRAMING sessions…some of the writing process. We were going to have a couple live tracks from the summer festivals. It was going to be a really cool package. Now that whole thing is kind of falling apart. Basically from a recording contract standpoint we are finished with SPV. As far as if the DVD comes out, it’s up in the air whether we’ll be doing the DVD with SPV, as well. It’s pretty messed up at the moment. We’re going to be fine. The record company is not a problem for Iced Earth. There’s plenty out there that will sign us, but I feel bad for them. They’re really struggling right now.

2008 was not an album year.

1. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God
2. Pyramaze - Immortal
3. Arch Enemy - Tyrants Of The Rising Sun (CD & DVD)
4. Iced Earth - The Crucible Of Man
5. Stormwarrior - Heading Northe
6. Dragonforce - Ultra Beatdown
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10.?

----

Disapointments:

1. In Flames - A Sense Of Purpose (nothing MDM here, pure garbage, i hope that IF will go back to MDM soon..)
2. Catamenia - VII: The Time Unchained (the clean vocals ruin the album, there's too much of them)
3. Avantasia The Scarecrow (pure hard rock garbage. Metal operas were great, but this one sucks big time)

4. maybe the new IE album, it was a small disapointment. After "Framing Armageddon" which was great... But there was also stuff that i liked so... :p

-----------

Looking forward: (in no order)

- Dark Tranquillity - New album
- Dream Theater - New album
- Iced Earth - new DVD
- Arch Enemy - new album
- Wintersun - Time
- Summoning - new album

Um dont forget Trivium Shogun was released !!! Also Metallica Death Magnetic!! in 2008!!.................In 2009 if it comes out this year the most anticipated album will me MEGADETH !!