Best of 2008

Såsom i en Spegel;7955967 said:
dude the albums subtitle is black meddle

And the Meddle jokes are about where the influence ends. There's some funky soloing and occasional effects. The album is definitely not Floyd worship.

Why would you compare an uncultivated fuck like Nachtmystium to a pop rock Pink Floyd anyway.

couple things wrong with that statement

Well, Pink Floyd is a rock band, as far as I am concerned and they're also one of the best selling acts in the music history. It, I beleive, makes them very popular. Moreover, majority of their songs follow the pop structure or use pop elements.
I am not even elaborating the Nachtmystium status, the cover of their latest album speaks for itself.
16-year-old goths will probably buy it.

Well, Pink Floyd is a rock band, as far as I am concerned and they're also one of the best selling acts in the music history. It, I beleive, makes them very popular.

Yes, but that's not what "pop" is. Actual popularity is irrelevant- there are plenty of failed, unpopular "pop" acts.

Moreover, majority of their songs follow the pop structure or use pop elements.

You clearly aren't familiar with Floyd's discography. And out of curiousity, what are "pop elements?" Choruses...?

Not really, man. I used to dig the band like a motherfucker. Hell, Waters' performance remains the best rock performance I've ever seen....well, maybe 65dos or Mono were tighter, but it was great anyway.
I just don't fall for melodrama anymore.

I like my music dramatic- it is rock and roll, after all. Also, I note that you have a lyric from With Teeth under your name, so apparently you just "fall for" a different kind of drama?

In any case, I don't think claiming that "most of" Floyd's songs are structured like pop tunes makes a lot of sense. I'll give you "some" or even "many," but even their most successful albums aren't mostly pop. The Wall is mostly story-purpose "filler," WYWH is bookended by two sections of meandering prog that take up more than well more than 50% of its runtime, and on DSOTM, Speak to Me/Breathe, On the Run, The Great Gig in the Sky, and Us and Them have Time, Money, and Brain Damage/Eclipse outnumbered. Branching out to the rest of their discog, it's mostly lengthy compositions, oddities and psychedelia.

Well, Pink Floyd is a rock band, as far as I am concerned and they're also one of the best selling acts in the music history. It, I beleive, makes them very popular. Moreover, majority of their songs follow the pop structure or use pop elements.
I am not even elaborating the Nachtmystium status, the cover of their latest album speaks for itself.
16-year-old goths will probably buy it.

How is Nachtmystium's newest record an album for 16-year-old goth kids?

Yeah, that sig is 3 years old. I don't listen to emo rock like NIN anymore.

And what you're saying is exactly what I would have said several years ago...you'll most likely change our opinion as well. I don't wanna argue. If it works for you, it's all that matters.

I'm not trying to make any assertions as to Floyd's quality. Obviously, it floats your boat or it doesn't. I'm just pointing out that claiming that their songs typically follow a pop structure is demonstrably untrue.

A big suprise to me(considering im not a Moonspell fan) but it's in my Top 5 of 08'
moonspell_night_eternal.jpg

Best stuff from 2008 was undeniably Laaz Rockit's Left For Dead and Tankard's Thirst. Man, Left For Dead is just fucking awesome. It's heavy, groovy and tight all the way. No filler tracks, no lame modernized-emo shit etc. It sounds old school, but still fresh and powerful. The production is cool too, the guitars and drums hit hard, and the bass pounds like a fucking jackhammer. It doesn't sound sterile and overproduced at all. And Tankard really amazed me again with the new album. They're one of the few thrash bands that actually have managed to keep the old school feel to their music. Now I know many people don't like the little melodies they have added around the songs, but I personally like them. Some melody in thrash metal doesn't certainly hurt it, because in this case we're not talking about any fucking metalcore-pussy-melodic leads etc. In some way the melodic riffs kinda give the album more of a teutonic feel, because some melody has been a part of German thrash for a pretty long time. In Kreator's case they kinda suck sometimes, but Tankard manages to pull it off pretty good.

I also liked The Haunted's Versus very much. It's diverse and crushing. A huge improvement from The Dead Eye. The organic live feel is also pretty cool, although it seems to be kinda trendy to have uber-organic production. It's good, because every new record tends to sound exactly the same production-wise, and extremely sterile. I just hope this organic thing doesn't embrace excesses. If albums start sounding like they've been recorded in a greenhouse, I will shit bricks.